Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seert
    • By seert 16th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 11Thanks
    seert
    Television reception query
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    Television reception query 16th Jun 17 at 7:09 PM
    Apologies for some of this as I am not an expert and I am asking the questions as an ordinary man on the street.
    My mother’s TV (32 inch HD ready Hitachi) has a flickering band across the top of the screen and the colours keep changing so we would have like a yellow wash and then a green wash and then for a while we will have the normal picture, the consensus is that it’s time to get a new TV.
    She is happy enough with 32” size or would go up to maybe 40” and I was hoping that we could maybe get her an HD TV and give her a much sharper picture.
    Here is where the problems start, on her existing TV an engineer (for want of a better word) came out and at the time advised her to put a satellite dish up and run a lead into the Hitachi TV to give her the best choice. She does not pay for Sky but I think she has some of their free programmes as well, the box she has is the old standard sky box.
    If she gets an HD TV with HD Freeview in it I take it she will not receive a full HD picture using this old box?
    Will she need a Sky HD box to get a picture and if so will this work by just plugging it in or does she then need an HD signal from Sky?
    Does the Sky HD box affect the Freeview channels that would be on the TV?
    She does not have an aerial on the roof of her bungalow, would this be the only way that she can get the Freeview HD on a new TV?
    She has no broadband and does not need a smart TV, has anyone any suggestions for either a 32” or 40” HD TV for around £300 mark?
    I would be most grateful for any assistance
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 16,609 Posts
    • 10,828 Thanks
    molerat
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    Many TVs now have a sat tuner so you can plug the lead from the dish straight in without a box, LG and HiSense are 2 that I know of. Look for DVBS2 (HD Sat) in the spec but many of the retailer sites do not show the full spec so you will have to do a bit of research.
    Last edited by molerat; 16-06-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    The flickering colours can be caused by a not properly pushed in cable on the box and/or TV end as it only needs to be ever so slightly out and the colours will distort. If its an older SCART only box the same principle applies - a slightly out cable will cause pictures issues.

If the dish is in use and you have a Sky box but you're not paying Sky, then your mother is probably on Freesat from Sky, which is what happens to your box/package if you stop paying your subscriptions. Some HD channels are free to air - the BBC channels for example - but the bulk are behind the Sky paywall.

Note that if your Sky box is SCART check that your TV has a SCART input on it - not all TVs do now.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 16th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    I'll answer the part of the question you asked about Freeview - unless you are in a very strong signal area then to use it you will need a rooftop aerial.

Freesat comes in two flavours and either will work on an old Sky disk. You get Freesat from Sky if you use and old Sky box or straight Freesat if you buy a Freesat box. There are minor differences in the channel line up between the two Freesat and the Freeview offerings.

An old Sky box won't offer the option to record and probably won't give HD - certainly not if it is connected by scart.

I think TVs with Freesat are a lot less common than Freeview which just about all offer along with Freeview HD and smart TV options with need the internet.

Buying a Freesat box that allows recording is likely to be cheaper than having an aerial put up for Freeview. If the Sat disk doesn't have at least twin LNB with two downleads it would need upgrading to get a full recording ability (with only one lead you can't guarantee being able to watch any channel while recording another although some combinations do work out it would be a bit of a nightmare for a not technical user.

The current TV may well not be beyond redemption - especially so if it has HDMI input and a new Freesat box is bought.
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 21-06-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    The Sky picture will still work although with Freeview you are likely to have most of the same channels or similar.

I would not bother getting a new Sky box, but keep an eye out on Freecycle.org as they come around from time to time.

Freeview TV's just need a decent aerial

If I were you I would wait around for ALDI to rotate their offer, they were selling a 4k 49" for that budget
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 16th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 4,827 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    >advised her to put a satellite dish up and run a lead into the Hitachi TV to give her the best choice. She does not pay for Sky but I think she has some of their free programmes as well<

I'm confused, what does OPs Mother actually have now?
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 16th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    Sorry, but I'm not entirely clear if you mum has Sky or nor at the moment?!

If she does have a Sky dish but doesn't pay for Sky, then there are loads of HD channels that she will still be able to receive including BBC 1 and 2, ITV and Channel 4 in full HD. Yes, she will need an HD box but these are very common and can be bought for £15 off Gumtree. As already mentioned by DavidP24, they often come up for free on the likes of Freegle and Freecycle.

To be clear, when you say your mum does not have an aerial on on her roof, do you actually mean an aerial as in what's used to pick up terrestrial TV, or are you possibly confusing this with a satellite dish? The two are very different... Aerial = Freeview, satellite dish = Sky.

In terms of buying a new TV, someone correct me if I'm wrong, all TVs sold now of 32" upwards are full HD and feature built in Freeview HD.

Another thought, your budget will buy a perfectly fine TV, but avoid the 'supermarket' brand TVs. The pictures look great in the shop, the sound can often be a bit weak, and the design tends to look convincing...but they tend to last a year or two and then develop faults, often power board related. They tend to be a false investment. Personal opinion based on a few of these sets that I and others have bought.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    This is ours, almost a year old and a lovely picture. At our ages, we find it hard to distinguish a difference between FULL HD and the latest 4K Ultra pictures. Your mum would probably love this:
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/sony-kdl40rd453-full-hd-40-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/634-9174.prd?skuId=634-9174

It has built in FREEVIEW: She will need an antenna, I would look around the area for a local fitter and get some prices. Good luck!
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• seert
    • By seert 16th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    seert
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    First of all thank you to everyone who has replied so far, i will try and answer some of your questions,
    The guy who put her satellite dish up told my mother that she would be able to view programmes through the old standard sky box he provided to her, she has no aerial, the sort you would have had to watch terrestrial tv years ago only this dish and sky standard box now

On the tv she has she can get BBC1 etc through this box and some of the freeview channels as well

The tv is now playing up and we are thinking of changing this tv but to now buy her a tv that has a full hd picture.

I hope this helps a bit

with regards to new tv's, there are still 32" ones that are not full hd
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 17th Jun 17, 12:34 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    RumRat
    Yes they still do 32" TV's.
    Here is one that has both Freeview and Freesat tuners, so she could just plug her cable in and be up and running with Freesat. She could then just ditch the old sky box and not worry about anything.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6992404
    By the way, Freeview through the aerial, is not, the sort you had to watch terrestrial TV years ago, it's how the vast majority of the population watch TV now.....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Good find!

I wonder if there is a market for TV's that say they are not Smart, for those that do not want to be spied upon, but what would you call it? Can hardly say dumb tv.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 17th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,827 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    I have spoken
    >or those that do not want to be spied upon,<

Just don't connect it to t'interweb.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I would rather it had no ability, there are devices that can connect to hotspots without your knowledge,

I would just rather not pay for the tech inside in the first place, easier than ripping out microphone, webcam and Lan connectivity.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Robisere
    The Sony in my link, has Ethernet socket, 3x HDMI, optical and USB.

I don't understand this morbid fear of t'internet in some people.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• seert
    • By seert 21st Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    seert
    update
    thank you to everyone who has contributed so far

To "Neil Jones" took your advise and checked all the cables and sure enough one of them was a bit loose, pushed it in properly and picture improved, still have the flashing bar so i think we will change this set.
    thanks as well for the tv suggestions and once we have made up our minds i will update further, once again this is a great forum with fantastic contributors
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 21st Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 9,600 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    GunJack
    update
    thank you to everyone who has contributed so far

To "Neil Jones" took your advise and checked all the cables and sure enough one of them was a bit loose, pushed it in properly and picture improved, still have the flashing bar so i think we will change this set.
    thanks as well for the tv suggestions and once we have made up our minds i will update further, once again this is a great forum with fantastic contributors
    Originally posted by seert
    just before you splash out, can you plug in another tv to check the "band" is deffo the tv? It could be the signal path through the sky box.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • seert
    • By seert 21st Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    seert
    i will try that and see thank you for the suggestion
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 22nd Jun 17, 12:17 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    I would rather it had no ability, there are devices that can connect to hotspots without your knowledge,

I would just rather not pay for the tech inside in the first place, easier than ripping out microphone, webcam and Lan connectivity.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    I doubt that the tech really costs much as it is standard in all TV's now, and you don't see many TV's with a webcam or microphone. If you don't connect it to the wifi or plug in the lan it can't send anything back.

The connections are really just for firmware updates and videos services. Netflix and Crunchyroll know what I watch anyway as they need to know what streams I selected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin