Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 8,194Posts
    • 12,420Thanks
    worried jim
    0 WOW
    Bringing iPad back from Turkey
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Bringing iPad back from Turkey 16th Jun 17 at 6:47 PM
    I will be taking iPad to Turkey on EasyJet. I have carry on only so understand on the return leg I can't take it in the cabin. Does anyone know the procedure at the airport and how I get to the hold.

Sadly I need it to action some banking transactions whilst away and the apps are uncompatable with my Android phone so have little choice about not taking it.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 17,656 Posts
    • 13,362 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    Surely you should be amending your booking to add an item of check baggae for the Turkey - UK flight? If you don't do that then presumably there is a risk that you will be charged a lot more at the airport.

However, I don't really see why you need to take it, while Apps may not work you can still access the full website from your Android phone (and the banks may also have mobile friendly versions). There's nothing to say you have to use an app - I don't, although I don't very often do online banking from a phone anyway.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 16th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    Can you not set standing orders up before you go? I wouldn't put it in the hold - it won't be insured if it's broke or nicked
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone @12/2018. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    It's app based not web (Monzo), hence why I need to take it.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 16th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    Having just returned from Turkey i can tell you the security is very strict,on arrival at the airport every thing is x-rayed,hold luggage,hand luggage etc,then after check in hand luggage is again put thru the scanner along with belts,watches etc plus they now do check where they wipe a piece of paper/plastic over certain parts of your body and then put it in a machine and check the reading and then again after passport control they were checking hand luggage,mobile phones etc at the departure gate and doing the thing again with the machine reading,this is for your own good but it does take time.As for tablets,i pads etc they are not alowed on the plane as carry on,s/hand luggage.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    Having just returned from Turkey i can tell you the security is very strict,on arrival at the airport every thing is x-rayed,hold luggage,hand luggage etc,then after check in hand luggage is again put thru the scanner along with belts,watches etc plus they now do check where they wipe a piece of paper/plastic over certain parts of your body and then put it in a machine and check the reading and then again after passport control they were checking hand luggage,mobile phones etc at the departure gate and doing the thing again with the machine reading,this is for your own good but it does take time.As for tablets,i pads etc they are not alowed on the plane as carry on,s/hand luggage.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    This we all know- it's not what I asked.
    Albert Einstein
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    I've found this on the Easyjet website-

New security requirements on flights from Turkey and Egypt

22/03/2017
    We can confirm that, in line with new UK Government requirements, we will be introducing new security measures on our flights from Turkey and Egypt to the UK from today.

The new requirements mean that passengers on affected flights will not be permitted to take large personal electronics, such as kindles, tablets and laptops into the cabin of the aircraft. It also includes items that can be attached/plugged into a laptop such as keyboards, power cable transformers and external hard drives.
    We advise passengers to get to the airport three hours before their flight to go to Bag Drop and check in any electronic items into their hold luggage, and for additional security checks taking place at the gate.
    We recommend that passengers do not bring large personal electronic devices if possible and would encourage customers to check in their hand baggage free of charge and bring only essential items on board the aircraft. Any portable power sources and spare or separate device batteries that are larger than 16cm X 9.3cm x 1.5cm will not be permitted in the hold or the cabin of the aircraft and will not be able to travel.

The safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority.

We will contact affected passengers ahead of their flights to notify them of the new requirements.

For further information we recommend passengers to visit https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport and check our Flight Tracker on www.easyjet.com/xxxx (Your Flight Number).

So it looks like I just go to the check in with my hand luggage at BJV airport and check it in for free. Looks simple and straight forward.
    Albert Einstein
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    What are the apps you need to access?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    as mentioned in post 4.
    Albert Einstein
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 16th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Neil49
    as mentioned in post 4.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Now I understand. I use Monzo on my Android phone but I'm on Marshmallow.

I presume you are running Kitkat or earlier which isn't supported.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim

Originally posted by Neil49
    That make a lost of sense! I should have never given up my iphone.

I've been on twitter with easyjet and they say Ill have to pay to put a bag in the hold and looking on my booking its £56 and I cant do one way.

I've got my old iphone 4s out and monzo works but I really want my ipad to stay in touch so I think Ill have to bite the bullet and add luggage.
    Albert Einstein
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 17th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Ganga
    I will be taking iPad to Turkey on EasyJet. I have carry on only so understand on the return leg I can't take it in the cabin. Does anyone know the procedure at the airport and how I get to the hold.

Sadly I need it to action some banking transactions whilst away and the apps are uncompatable with my Android phone so have little choice about not taking it.
    That was the bit i was replying to,in future i will not bother.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    worried jim
    That was the bit i was replying to,in future i will not bother.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    But you didn't have an iPad to check in.
    Albert Einstein
    • Westin
    • By Westin 17th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Westin
    I was on holiday in the Antalya region in May and took my I-pad. A calculated gamble as I needed it for access to work related items and previously would take my laptop away but did not wish to take that chance with the electronics ban being in place. My wife also took a tablet device on holiday.

We were flying Thomas Cook and aware of the electronics ban in hand luggage from the news and sites like MSE. There was also a note on the TC Holidays board in our hotel which explained that these types of items needed to be in checked hold luggage on the return. Unlike Turkish Airlines, Thomas Cook (and Easyjet) have no special arrangements to hand in the devises for special handling.

On departure day we insured both devices were well wrapped and placed in the centre part of our suitcases. We had also taken hard shell suitcases on holiday for extra protection or the items.

The only issue we encountered was at AYT airport when the Thomas Cook rep jumped on the transfer coach when we pulled up outside the terminal and said that electronic devices had to be screens separately as you entered the terminal (as someone else pointed out the X-ray screening of luggage before entering the main terminal is normal in Turkey). Given that our tablets were well packed deep in the middle of our cases, and feeling that this information was wrong, took the chance and left them where they were and proceeded to join the queues for baggage screening. Needless to say no signs in the search area to confirm this TC Reps words, no one else seemed to be screening electronics separately at this first security point and our bags went through unchallenged. I think the Rep was confused and meant the second security point.

Once in the terminal normal checkin followed.

At the next security point electronics (our phones) and liquids, as normal had to be separated for screening.

All passengers on our flight then had additional security screening at the gate. My phone (which I had already turned off) needed to be turned on again.

So, to the OP's question, your I-pad does need to be in checked hold luggage. There is no special handling arrangement in place that I am aware of for any UK carrier flying ex Turkey. I would wrap it well and place in the centre of your case. If easyjet will allow you to check in your hand luggage for free then great, but if you call them they do allow you to buy a checked bag one way. Taking the devises was a risk, one we knew and were happy to take. Our tablets came out undamaged but equally we accepted that if they arrived with a cracked screen or damage then that would be down to us and not the airline.

Travel safe.
    Last edited by Westin; 17-06-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 11,455 Posts
    • 7,752 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Surely the obvious solution is to use a cyber-cafe once there. Or am I missing something?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 18,081 Posts
    • 41,227 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I've been on twitter with easyjet and they say Ill have to pay to put a bag in the hold and looking on my booking its £56 and I cant do one way.
    Why can't you do one-way? It's not available online, but it's easily arranged by phone.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • blindman
    • By blindman 17th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    blindman
    Surely the obvious solution is to use a cyber-cafe once there. Or am I missing something?
    Its an APP not web based.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Why can you no do the monetary transaction before you go??
    Last edited by blindman; 17-06-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 17th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    sillygoose

Originally posted by Neil49
    If it is £56 to check luggage, I think you need Android Lollipop or above for the app you want to use. You could buy an 8" Lollipop tablet from Argos for £45 quid and take it out, do a factory reset to wipe it when leaving and give it to someone there, donate to a school or something and still be better off.

And avoids the risk of far more expensive ipad going walkies from the hold luggage or waiting for bags to unload.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    martindow
    It's app based not web (Monzo), hence why I need to take it.
    Can you not schedule transactions to happen on a future date? It would seem to be sensible to do everything possible to avoid taking your ipad.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 18,081 Posts
    • 41,227 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Can you not schedule transactions to happen on a future date? It would seem to be sensible to do everything possible to avoid taking your ipad.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Monzo is a travel money card, I'm guessing OP is going to need access to the app whilst travelling.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

8,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin