Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 721Posts
    • 454Thanks
    Geodark
    petrol in a diesel engine!
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    petrol in a diesel engine! 16th Jun 17 at 6:16 PM
    just managed to stick £50 worth of petrol into my diesel engine and drop 1/2mile home before I realised! guess I will be spending tomorrow draining the tank (with the help of my neighbour) just hope I havent done any permanent damage - was supposed to be heading away fishing tomorrow as well - not good!

could be an expensive lapse of concentration

oh, its a 2007 1.7 astra cdti.
Page 1
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 16th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    Anyone who hasn't made that mistake will do so one day. Done it myself with a full tank while 100s of miles away on a job with a company car.
    I know that sinking feeling upon realising what just happened. Did it again shortly after but with only a couple of litres. No problems that time.

Don't be too bothered about draining every last drop, it'll run fine with some left in so long as you fill it with diesel. Diesel mind!

Hope you manage to get some fishing in over the weekend.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 11,465 Posts
    • 6,413 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    I'm just waiting for someone to try to fill their petrol car with electricity
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    I'm just waiting for someone to try to fill their petrol car with electricity
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Did that once, it was a shocking experience...
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    Anyone who hasn't made that mistake will do so one day. Done it myself with a full tank while 100s of miles away on a job with a company car.
    I know that sinking feeling upon realising what just happened. Did it again shortly after but with only a couple of litres. No problems that time.

Don't be too bothered about draining every last drop, it'll run fine with some left in so long as you fill it with diesel. Diesel mind!

Hope you manage to get some fishing in over the weekend.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    just hoping with only driving such a small distance the car will be ok, feel like a complete prat! luckily the wife has lost her voice so can't shout at me - no doubt she will have added it to the list of things for when her voice comes back!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 18,176 Posts
    • 13,868 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    Anyone who hasn't made that mistake will do so one day.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    I've never done it and I never expect to, and I would hazard a small wager that the majority of people have never done it either.

Of course, I need to fill up soon so you can guarantee that'll be the time I'll get it wrong!
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    I've never done it and I never expect to, and I would hazard a small wager that the majority of people have never done it either.

Of course, I need to fill up soon so you can guarantee that'll be the time I'll get it wrong!
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Me too, never done it in almost a million miles, which is more mileage than most people do in a lifetime, and I don't intend to start anytime soon.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    societys child
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    Anyone who hasn't made that mistake will do so one day
    Speak for yourself . . .

• arcon5
    • By arcon5 16th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 13,001 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    If it's still running ok you'll probably get lucky if you drain flush and refill. Remember new fuel filter
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    Robisere
    Some years ago, as a workshop foreman, my boss had a Car & Van Hire business as well as the garage. An Angling club hired a brand new Nissan diesel van from us. I instructed the driver who came to collect to use only diesel: the van had enough in the tank to reach the filling station a few miles away. That was owned by his brother, who was a Club member, so gave them free fuel. On the dash was a sign, in block letters - "DIESEL ONLY for this van!" Around the filler cap was the legend - Diesel ONLY!"

They managed to fill up the van with petrol! We recovered it and I spent my Saturday with the boss, draining the tank of petrol into drums. We disconnected and blew out the lines, filled about ¼ of the tank with diesel and started up the engine. The garage filled with smoke, cleared up and ran happily. We managed to float off the petrol and my boss gave it all to me, it ran my car for some weeks. It also earned me a day at double -time, which was nice...

We never hired out to the Angling Club again!
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 10,516 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    just hoping with only driving such a small distance the car will be ok,
    Originally posted by Geodark

Doing an extremely quick and rough calculation, I guessed the MPG at about 40 which works out at about 8 miles per litre.
    As you drove 1/2 mile, you probably would have used about 1/4 litre of fuel (allowing a bit extra for starting the car).
    With the diesel already in the pipe from the tank to the engine, I would think it unlikely that any of the petrol/diesel mix actually made it as far as the injectors.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Geodark
    Doing an extremely quick and rough calculation, I guessed the MPG at about 40 which works out at about 8 miles per litre.
    As you drove 1/2 mile, you probably would have used about 1/4 litre of fuel (allowing a bit extra for starting the car).
    With the diesel already in the pipe from the tank to the engine, I would think it unlikely that any of the petrol/diesel mix actually made it as far as the injectors.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Neighbour, a mechanic, just called me a D*ck and said more or less the same you did - we are draining etc tomorrow
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 14,792 Posts
    • 13,144 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    The injectors are not the problem. The pump is. A LOT more fuel is circulated than is used, the rest being returned to the tank.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 18th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Korkyb
    My wife did the same thing in almost the same car (2006 1.9 Astra cdti).

As I remember (through the red haze....) our local garage drained it, changed the filter and refilled it with the diesel.

No problems with the car at all following the incident (& I banked a few husband points for when I next mucked up).

She still has a diesel and still insists on saying "I need to stop off for petrol" which I'm sure is just to wind me up.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    • 8,425 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    worried jim
    When my Dad retired he took a part time job delivering Mazda's and stuck the wrong fuel in a few times. He has now retired retired. Has some good stories, once took an MX5 to an office block and the new owner came out and gave it a once over and said "oh, its manual, I've never driven one before".
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 14,792 Posts
    • 13,144 Thanks
    AdrianC
    When my Dad retired he took a part time job delivering Mazda's and stuck the wrong fuel in a few times. He has now retired retired. Has some good stories, once took an MX5 to an office block and the new owner came out and gave it a once over and said "oh, its manual, I've never driven one before".
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Assuming your father was doing it in the UK, then it would be illegal for that person to drive their new car... They would also find it impossible to insure.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    My wife did this one when she borrowed my car - except she drove it about 10 miles home, then told me the car was running really rough

Took it to a mechanic who drained the tank, refilled with diesel, and told me he'd added a good glug of oil to the fuel. No idea if that was the right thing to do, but the upshot is that 50,000 miles further down the line and I've not had any problems yet ......

It is quite an old car though, don't know if they just built 'em better back then ?
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14,792 Posts
    • 13,144 Thanks
    AdrianC
    My wife did this one when she borrowed my car - except she drove it about 10 miles home, then told me the car was running really rough

Took it to a mechanic who drained the tank, refilled with diesel, and told me he'd added a good glug of oil to the fuel. No idea if that was the right thing to do, but the upshot is that 50,000 miles further down the line and I've not had any problems yet ......

It is quite an old car though, don't know if they just built 'em better back then ?
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Depends on how old a diesel it is. There was a very big change in diesel technology in the mid-late 90s, with common rail engines coming in. These inject fuel at MASSIVELY higher pressures - 1-3,000 bar instead of <200 bar. The pressure in your tyres is around 2-3 bar, remember. The pump needs incredibly fine tolerances to do that, and relies on the lubrication properties of the diesel fuel. Petrol not only doesn't have that lubricity, but is a great solvent for cleaning any residue off.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I did this with an old XUD engined Peugeot. I had a quarter of a tank of diesel left in the tank, filled up with petrol by mistake and got about 10 miles before conking out.

After getting a tow home I managed to drain a lot of the petrol by disconnecting the bulb primer, I put 10 litres of diesel in, managed to get the van running again and filled up straight away.

The van run perfectly for a while until I put some aircraft fuel in it without realising it was full of water

But that's another story....
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8,425 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    worried jim
    Assuming your father was doing it in the UK, then it would be illegal for that person to drive their new car... They would also find it impossible to insure.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Not his problem!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,938Posts Today

9,360Users online

Martin's Twitter