Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 16th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 7Thanks
    LemonBerry
    PCN from ParkingEye after A&E visit to Bath Hospital
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    PCN from ParkingEye after A&E visit to Bath Hospital 16th Jun 17 at 5:44 PM
    Hi,

I took my child to Bath Hospital A&E late on a Monday evening after dark (after about 10pm) and didn't leave until 2.30am.

This week I got a PCN in the post for £80 (or £40 if paid early within 14 days) from ParkingEye!!

When entering the hospital's car park, it was dark and even though driving carefully I didn't see any signs for car parking charges and there were no barriers neither on entry nor exit.

Had I known there was a charge for paying I would have paid at the time but I feel very tricked and angry that it wasn't made clear that there was a charge!

Apparently, they have installed an ANPR system at Bath Hospital nowadays.

I've been reading lots of other people's problems with parking on these kind of forums.

I would like to appeal but I don't live nearby Bath and have difficulties to go back there to take photos for evidence for an appeal to try to prove poor signage - at least at night!

I'm not sure how to best appeal this issue. I feel it's unfair to pay even £40 for this.

I've been reading on different reasons that one can appeal on:
    a) Poor signing: Yes, definitely, but I don't have any evidence.

b) No loss of income: The car park was almost empty at the time. Just a handful of cars so I haven't prevented anybody else from using the car park and there has been no loss of income to the hospital either.

c) Would it be possible to appeal on a technicality? The "The Notice to Keeper failed to meet the obligations of Schedule 4 of the POFA Act 2012."?

Is the letter I received in the post a "Notice to keeper" letter, I think so, but I'm not sure...
    Dates in letter:
    "Date of event":23/05/17
    "Date issued": 09/06/2017
    "Date": 09/06/2017

Got letter this week (13th-16th/06/17)

The letter was dated on the 17th day after the event. My understanding is that the Notice to keeper must be issued within 14 days of the event by reading other forum posts and on gov.uk's legislation page for "Schedule 4 of the POFA Act 2012" section 9 (5).

I have also found an email address regarding parking that belongs to Bath Hospital’s.

As they are the "landowner", should I first try to email them requesting them to cancel this charge notice or appeal directly to ParkingEye?

I checked and ParkingEye is a member of the trade body BPA, so I could appeal to POPLA if ParkingEye rejects the appeal....but fear I don't have any photographic evidence to submit so might be rejected.

Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 16th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 16,540 Posts
    • 20,699 Thanks
    Redx
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    forget option 2)

PE put paid to that in the BEAVIS case over 18 months ago

you need to read the BPA advice in the NEWBIES sticky thread

use the blue text appeal as KEEPER on the PE website

and complain to PALS at the hospital, and insist on a cancellation , asap

quote the NHS guidelines at PALS

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

if PE refuse to cancel, take it to popla based on post #3 of the NEWBIES sticky thread

and yes you can use signage, you can allege it was poor , inadequate and not lit or poorly lit , it is their job to prove compliance , not yours

if they failed to get the NTK to you within 14 days (by day 15) then yes you can say they also failed POFA2012 as well

dont read any other advice, just the NEWBIES sticky thread near the top of this forum

check for the lack of the POFA2012 paragraph , and if its not there add an extra line to the blue text appeal stating that they have failed POFA2012 and the driver will not be identified
    Last edited by Redx; 16-06-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 7,876 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    Start by contacting PALS and asking them to cancel it - Explain your situation clearly.

If this fails, wait for PE to send you an NTK - and whilst waiting, take time to read-up on the advice in the Newbies Sticky that deals with mounting a POPLA challenge.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 16th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 16,540 Posts
    • 20,699 Thanks
    Redx
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    I believe the OP already has an NTK, so must appeal within the requisite 28 days if it isnt cancelled beforehand
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    Yep the OP says:
    This week I got a PCN in the post for £80
    So they need to appeal now, as keeper, not saying who was driving. Sounds like a non-POFA PCN (known here as a 'golden ticket' = a slam dunk WIN at POPLA stage) so it's vital not to name the driver.

On the back of the PCN, does it have a section about the Protection of Freedoms Act, or not?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 16th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LemonBerry
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    Thanks for all your quick responses!

I can't see a section "Protection of Freedoms Act" or anything related to that in the text...

Also, has this NTK (as it seems it is) not been sent too late (17 days) after the event, so it can be appealed for that reason?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    Yes, you have a golden ticket!

We will eat our hats if you lose at POPLA, as long as you only choose 'registered keeper' in the drop-down menu when appealing it. They can't hold a keeper liable!
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 22nd Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LemonBerry
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    I’ve emailed PALS and the hospital’s car park email address twice to complain. First I got a standard reply, then second reply to say I need to appeal to ParkingEye first, then they’ll review if that fails.

Next step is to appeal to ParkingEye asap. I’ve never appealed a PCN before, so I’m bit concerned so I don’t get this wrong.

I think I’ve used the correct template.

I removed the text “are in very small print, are in very small print and the terms are not readable to drivers.” from the template since the driver didn’t see any signs at all and wouldn’t want to suggest that any signs were seen when it wasn’t the case.

I’ve also added some extra details – complain about inadequate lighting.

Is the appeal text below OK to use for an appeal against ParkingEye?

I would be very grateful for any feedback!

================================================== =====
    Dear Sirs

Re: PCN No. ....................

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car.

On arrival to the hospital car park late at night it was already very dark, the lighting of the car park was inadequate and there were no signs displaying any car parking charges visible to the driver. No signs could be seen at all.

There were also no barriers in the car park, neither on entry nor exit. Furthermore, at the time of entry and exit (i.e. at night time in darkness), there were no visible signs displaying any car parking charges at the entry or exit.

I believe that your signs fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. Your unremarkable and obscure signs were not seen by the driver.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 and offer me a POPLA code, or cancel the charge.

You have indeed also failed the POFA2012 as you have not notified the keeper within 14 days. The dates are even in your so called ‘PCN’. “Date of Event: 23/05/2017. Date of Issue 09/06/2017”, which is 17 days later. In addition to that, as the keeper, I didn’t receive this so called ‘PCN’ until at least 3 weeks after the event.

Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause, please take this as formal notice that I reserve the right to sue your company and the landowner/principal, for a sum not less than £250 for any Data Protection Act breach. Your aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of court for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me.

I do not give you consent to process data relating to me or this vehicle. I deny liability for any sum at all and you must consider this letter a Section 10 Notice under the DPA. You are required to respond within 21 days. I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 15,513 Posts
    • 24,236 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    Get the appeal off to PE and get your rejection and POPLA code so you can get this killed off by POPLA. You will not be paying PE anything as they've fouled up on keeper liability.

Don't be surprised if you get an interim response asking for the details of the driver - do not respond. A rejection will follow within 35 days from the date of your initial appeal.

Looks like PALS at Bath Hospital are not going to rise from their desks (gotfa) to help. You can tell them, eventually, that so many other PALS at other hospitals across the country have gone out of their way to offer real help to their patients in getting their parking charges cancelled when faced with the same rubbish from PE.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Edna Basher
    • By Edna Basher 22nd Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    Edna Basher
    You need to keep it simple to avoid the risk of accidentally giving any clues as to the driver's identity - just submit the Blue Template to PE without amendment, choosing the "Registered Keeper" option from PE's drop-down menu.

PE will reject anyway and once they have given you a POPLA code you can escalate to POPLA as "keeper" to get the PCN cancelled on the basis of non-compliance with POFA = no keeper liability.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 22nd Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    Half_way
    Get back to PALs and remind them of the patient staff and visitor NHS parking principles
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You need to keep it simple to avoid the risk of accidentally giving any clues as to the driver's identity - just submit the Blue Template to PE without amendment, choosing the "Registered Keeper" option from PE's drop-down menu.

PE will reject anyway and once they have given you a POPLA code you can escalate to POPLA as "keeper" to get the PCN cancelled on the basis of non-compliance with POFA = no keeper liability.
    Originally posted by Edna Basher
    I agree: LemonBerry don't over-egg the pudding, don't add to the template. You have a golden ticket so don't wreck that slam-dunk win at POPLA, by writing about what the signs looked like.

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 22nd Jun 17, 11:41 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    Half_way
    These are the aforementioned NHS parking principles
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

If you want to do some digging then you should ask the Hospital these questions
    1:Where does the money gathered from the car parking go?
    2: where does the money gathered from the issuing of parking charge notices issued to registered keepers of vehicles that contravene the parking rules go?

Chances are that
    1: all regular parking income goes to the NHS trust
    2: parking eye harvest the income from parking charge notices.

if the above is true, then that puts the Hospital at odds with NHS guidelines, and you should make further complaints.
    You could also ask about patient confidentiality and how ANPR systems can/will breach this to throw a further spanner in the works.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 23rd Jun 17, 12:39 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Sounds like you saved them having to send an ambulance.
    • LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 22nd Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LemonBerry
    Hi all,

As you all expected, ParkingEye has rejected my appeal.

I written a draft for an appeal to POPLA. I have a POPLA code.

My draft is based on mainly two good sources in this forum:
    I can't post links to them so I posts the titles of the entries instead:
    "Hire Car - Appeal for Missing Documents?"
    "Apcoa parking notice"

I have never done this before so would be very grateful for any feedback and advice so I get this right.

Thank you in advance!

==================================================
    POPLA Ref .........
    ParkingEye Ref: ………
    Vehicle reg number: ……..

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am the registered keeper and I wish to appeal a recent so called parking charge from Parking Eye Ltd. A notice to keeper was issued on the 09/06/2017 and received by me, the registered keeper not until 3 weeks later for an alleged contravention at Bath Hospital.

I am writing to you as the registered keeper and would be grateful if you would please consider my appeal for the following reasons:

1.) Non-compliance with requirements and timetable set out in Schedule 4 of POFA 2012

POFA 2012 Schedule 4, section 56 (9), says that:

“(4) The notice must be given by—
    (a) handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current address for service for the keeper, within the relevant period; or
    (b) sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.
    (5) The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.”

The so-called parking change notice states the following:
    • Date of Event: 23/05/2017
    • Date Issued: 09/06/2017

dropbox com / s / mpkyx49qeh8jzk0 / dates.png?dl=0

This so-called parking charge notice was issued 17 days after the event. Not only that, I (the keeper) did not receive it until at least 3 weeks after the event.

ParkingEye Ltd has therefore forfeited any right to hold me, the keeper, liable for this PCN.

2.) BPA Code of Practice – non-compliance of photo evidence

The BPA Code of Practice point 20.5a stipulates that:

“When issuing a parking charge notice you may use photographs as evidence that a vehicle was parked in an unauthorised way. The photographs must refer to and confirm the incident which you claim was unauthorised. A date and time stamp should be included on the photograph. All photographs used for evidence should be clear and legible and must not be retouched or digitally altered.”

The so-called parking charge notice in question contains two photographs of the vehicle:
    • Neither of these images identify the vehicle entering or leaving the car park. The photos are completely black only showing the registration number and some white spots. There’s no evidence in the photos of the vehicle entering or leaving a car park. There’s no evidence in the photos showing the location of the car due to lack of any marker or sign to relate these photos to the location stated.
    • Furthermore, none of the photographs show that the vehicle was parked in an unauthorised way.

dropbox com /s /u9dy4iy30m9hl8l/photos.png?dl=0

3.) The operator has not shown that the individual who it is pursuing is in fact the driver who was liable for the charge. (ref POPLA case Carly Law 6061796103)

In cases with a keeper appellant, yet no POFA 'keeper liability' to rely upon, POPLA must first consider whether they are confident that the Assessor knows who the driver is, based on the evidence received. No presumption can be made about liability whatsoever. A vehicle can be driven by any person (with the consent of the owner) as long as the driver is insured. There is no dispute that the driver was entitled to drive the car and I can confirm that they were, but I am exercising my right not to name that person.

Where a charge is aimed only at a driver then, of course, no other party can be told to pay. I am the appellant throughout (as I am entitled to be), and as there has been no admission regarding who was driving, and no evidence has been produced, it has been held by POPLA on numerous occasions, that a parking charge cannot be enforced against a keeper without a valid NTK.

As the keeper of the vehicle, it is my right to choose not to name the driver, yet still not be lawfully held liable if an operator is not using or complying with Schedule 4. This applies regardless of when the first appeal was made because the fact remains I am only the keeper and ONLY Schedule 4 of the POFA (or evidence of who was driving) can cause a keeper appellant to be deemed to be the liable party.

The burden of proof rests with the Operator, because they cannot use the POFA in this case, to show that (as an individual) I have personally not complied with terms in place on the land and show that I am personally liable for their parking charge. They cannot.

Furthermore, the vital matter of full compliance with the POFA 2012 was confirmed by parking law expert barrister, Henry Greenslade, the previous POPLA Lead Adjudicator, in 2015:

Understanding keeper liability

“There appears to be continuing misunderstanding about Schedule 4. Provided certain conditions are strictly complied with, it provides for recovery of unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the vehicle.

There is no ‘reasonable presumption’ in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort. Further, a failure by the recipient of a notice issued under Schedule 4 to name the driver, does not of itself mean that the recipient has accepted that they were the driver at the material time. Unlike, for example, a Notice of Intended Prosecution where details of the driver of a vehicle must be supplied when requested by the police, pursuant to Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, a keeper sent a Schedule 4 notice has no legal obligation to name the driver. [...] If {POFA 2012 Schedule 4 is} not complied with then keeper liability does not generally pass."

Therefore, no lawful right exists to pursue unpaid parking charges from myself as keeper of the vehicle, where an operator is NOT attempting to transfer the liability for the charge using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

This exact finding was made in 6061796103 against ParkingEye in September 2016, where POPLA Assessor Carly Law found:
    "I note the operator advises that it is not attempting to transfer the liability for the charge using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and so in mind, the operator continues to hold the driver responsible. As such, I must first consider whether I am confident that I know who the driver is, based on the evidence received. After considering the evidence, I am unable to confirm that the appellant is in fact the driver. As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider the other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal."

4.) No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice

As this operator does not have proprietary interest in the land then the operator is to produce an unredacted copy of the contract with the landowner. The contract and any 'site agreement' or 'User Manual' setting out details including exemptions - such as any 'genuine customer' or 'genuine resident' exemptions or any site occupier's 'right of veto' charge cancellation rights - is key evidence to define what this operator is authorised to do and any circumstances where the landowner/firms on site in fact have a right to cancellation of a charge. It cannot be assumed, just because an agent is contracted to merely put some signs up and issue Parking Charge Notices, that the agent is also authorised to make contracts with all or any category of visiting drivers and/or to enforce the charge in court in their own name, legal action regarding land use disputes generally being a matter for a landowner only.

Witness statements are not sound evidence of the above, often being pre-signed, generic documents not even identifying the case in hand or even the site rules. A witness statement might in some cases be accepted by POPLA but in this case it is suggested it is unlikely to sufficiently evidence the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.

Nor would it define vital information such as charging days/times, any exemption clauses, grace periods and basic information such as the land boundary and bays where enforcement applies/does not apply. Not forgetting evidence of the various restrictions which the landowner has authorised can give rise to a charge and of course, how much the landowner authorises this agent to charge – which cannot be assumed to be the sum in small print on a sign because template private parking terms and sums have been known not to match the actual landowner agreement.

Paragraph 7 of the BPA CoP defines the mandatory requirements and the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance:

7.2 If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action being taken.

7.3 The written authorisation must also set out:

a) the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that the boundaries of the land can be clearly defined;

b) any conditions or restrictions on parking control and enforcement operations, including any restrictions on hours of operation;

c) any conditions or restrictions on the types of vehicles that may, or may not, be subject to parking control and enforcement;

d) who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs;

e) the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    PALS complaint needs exhausting before POPLA though. Not after. Have you escalated the complaint to a manager?

• LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 22nd Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LemonBerry
    Hi, yes. I have emailed PALS and their parking contact requesting that the matter is escalated ASAP with ParkingEye's outrageous behaviour in terms rejecting my appeal, strongly insisting the PCN is cancelled without further delay. Also saying that other PALS at other hospitals do help out other innocent people and why they can't do the same.

I haven't heard from them so need to prepare the appeal to POPLA as the deadline for submitting the appeal is shortly.

Any advice or comments on the POPLA draft above would be gratefully received. Thank you!
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 22nd Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 10,202 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    I sometimes worry about the PALS/PPC appeal tie up.

If a motorist appeals through PALS, what do PALS send to the PPC? If the motorist has told PALS the circumstances and outing the driver, will PALS pass that on to the PPC to try to get them to cancel?

And if the PPC refuses, have they then got the evidence to kill any appeal point based on the RK liability in POFA by them having evience of who admitted to driving?
    • LemonBerry
    • By LemonBerry 22nd Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LemonBerry
    Hi, I know what you mean and I'm concerned about that too. I've been careful when writing to PALS not to make it clear who the driver was and writing to them as the keeper.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Never mind PALS then, does the NHS Trust website give a complaint email that's not PALS? Or how about the CEO of the Trust himself/herself? Really push the complaint first, I can't stress that enough.

You need to be aware that once you step into POPLA stage - and your code will work for just over 30 days (honestly) - you will have burnt your boats for complaint, we've seen PE refuse to cancel after POPLA, but roll over easily before POPLA, when a landowner tells them to.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

4,660Users online

Martin's Twitter