Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tudor123
    • By Tudor123 16th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tudor123
    Cancelled by tv?
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    Cancelled by tv? 16th Jun 17 at 4:51 PM
    A warning to anyone cancelling Bt tv- I phoned in March 2017 to cancel Bt vision to save money as I only watch freeview channels and catch-up. It has taken til today to discover the reason for huge hike in my monthly bill has been because I carried on using the yview box. Bt said its no problem they would just cancel my Bt vision subscription didn't tell me if I used the box even to watch freeview I would be using my broadband usage allowance. On getting an email to say my usage had exceeded I 'spoke' through the live chat box was told their error. Next month another email re exceeded usage and my bill for April £63 extra and maybe I'll be similar. Queried again but Bt still didnt tell me it was because I was using Bt vision box but did get me to agree upgrade to unlimited usage. Only today have I realised the reason for my increased usage! My fault I know but let this be a warning to all!!
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 16th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    AFAIK it shouldn't use any internet allowance unless you use the catch up facility and you disconnect the box from the internet & use freeview via the aerial?

Regardless of whether you had BT TV or not, were you not already using your allowance up anyway in the past?
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 4,975 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    If you have BT TV, any broadband usage from the TV box is not counted against any broadband limit you may have.

Once you leave BT TV, if you continue using the box, any broadband usage will come out of your allowance.

This is clearly explained on the BT website.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 17th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    Are you getting confused by 'freeview' and catch up TV services, if you watch 'live' TV broadcasts via your Youview box, it isn't using the Internet at all, but the TV aerial so it doesn't use up any 'data' from your broadband package, if you watch programmes on Iplayer or ITV hub, ( so not 'broadcast' TV) etc, then you are consuming data from your (presumably not unlimited ) broadband allowance, easy way to prove it, switch off your router ( so you cannot be using the Internet ) and you can still watch TV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

442Posts Today

5,246Users online

Martin's Twitter