Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • biged670
    • By biged670 16th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 343Posts
    • 23Thanks
    biged670
    Advice regarding estate agents responsibility
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    Advice regarding estate agents responsibility 16th Jun 17 at 3:42 PM
    Hello,

I live in a rented property which is managed by a local estate agents. The other day we had the underlay in the living room replaced by a contractor which was instructed by the estate agents. The work was carried out while my partner and I were in work, and the contractors accessed the property through the agents.

On returning home from work we discovered that the living room had been left in an absolute mess, our bin had been completely filled with the old underlay and waste materials, so much so that we cannot use the bin for our own waste, but the most serious problem was the fact that they had left a number of cable tacks over the living room floor, which were only discovered when my 11 month old son had picked one up and was very close to putting one in his mouth!

As you can imagine I was absolutely raging when this had happen and I immediately called the estate agents to make a complaint. After a heated conversation with the lettings 'director' of the agency I was told that they were not willing to accept any responsiblity. They said the landlord needed to pay an addtional charge to the contractor for the rubbish to be taken away, and the tacks on the floor was down to the contractor and their liability insurance! They would not even offer an apology.

I understand this is ultimately the contractors fault, but I believe as they manage the property and they were the ones who instructed the contractor they should accept responsibility for their actions while they were on the property?

Does anybody have any advice regarding what I can do or if I have any grounds to take this further?
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    So nothing actually happened?

What do you want as a result of this?

Wouldn't have thought that using your bin would result in a charge tbh.
    Lucky your child didn't swallow anything. Lazy or careless contractors, but again can't see why there should be anything owed?
    Perhaps I'm missing something...

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 16th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    Take the rubbish and drop it off at the lettings agents. - but really there's nothing else for this
    • biged670
    • By biged670 16th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    biged670
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    So nothing actually happened?

What do you want as a result of this?

Wouldn't have thought that using your bin would result in a charge tbh.
    Lucky your child didn't swallow anything. Lazy or careless contractors, but again can't see why there should be anything owed?
    Perhaps I'm missing something...

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    I want them to apologise and I want them to take responsibility. If I had been a couple of seconds later when noticing what my son had in his hand he could have swallowed the tack. Their attitude towards the whole situation has been totally unacceptable. My son could have been seriously injured.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 16th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    I want them to apologise and I want them to take responsibility. If I had been a couple of seconds later when noticing what my son had in his hand he could have swallowed the tack. Their attitude towards the whole situation has been totally unacceptable. My son could have been seriously injured.
    Originally posted by biged670

But that's not their fault.

That's your job, if you see works been done it would be sensible as a parent to make sure it's clear.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 16th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 3,691 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    If you know the firm that did the job, I would at least leave a review somewhere stating that they left your home an absolute mess. When I'm looking for someone to do work at my house I always look out for reviews that say they left the place as they found it.

Do you ever communicate directly with the landlord? Can you let them know that you are unhappy with how the contractors left the house.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    Originally posted by biged670
    Blimey, if I could sue for all the 'could haves' in my life, in the words of Delboy, I'd be a millionaire!
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 16th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 39,199 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    So really it should have gone this way: You contact agent, you say that you understand it is not their fault, but you have concerns to raise about the quality of work carried out by their contractor and thought they might want to know. You'd like to raise a complaint and would it be better if they did it on behalf of the landlord, or you are happy to do so if they'd let them know their details.

If instead you went on about how your child almost died because of them, then it is not too surprising they wanted to cut the conversation short.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,281Posts Today

8,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin