Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dodell27
    • By dodell27 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dodell27
    0 WOW
    £421 to change name on honeymoon flights - help!
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    0 WOW
    £421 to change name on honeymoon flights - help! 16th Jun 17 at 3:13 PM
    Hi,

Our honeymoon flights are booked to Canada using British Airways and Air Canada using Travel Up. Admittedly my fault, the flights were booked under my wife's maiden name not her new married name (for which she now has a passport). However, despite it being 6 months in advance Travel Up are telling me that it will cost £421.65 to change her name on the flights!

How can it be that expensive and is there anything I can do?

Update: British Airways seems pretty painless to change. Whereas it seems with Air Canada I must buy a new ticket at today's price, then they refund the old one (after also taking an admin fee). So the £421 comes from the fact that the tickets cost a lot more today.
    Last edited by dodell27; 16-06-2017 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Update
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 18,134 Posts
    • 13,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    Having made the booking in her maiden name the error was getting a passport in her married name before travelling. Could she apply for a replacement passport in her maiden name again, expensive but a lot less than £421?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 31,500 Posts
    • 37,198 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    exactly , my other half has continued to use her existing passport and travel under her maiden name . we plan to do so still when its renewed
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dodell27
    • By dodell27 16th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dodell27
    Unfortunately I didn't realise the error until receiving an email notifying us of a slight change in the flight times after the new passport had arrived. I did wonder if the error was initially caused by google autofill and then my failure to check/realise properly.

Not sure how the passport office would look upon cancelling two passports within the space of a month, along with two name changes. They might also require evidence for the name change back?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 31,500 Posts
    • 37,198 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    General enquiries

HM Passport Office
    PO Box 767
    SOUTHPORT

PR8 9PW
    Contact formhttps://eforms.homeoff...
    Telephone 0300 222 0000
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dodell27
    • By dodell27 16th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dodell27
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    Having spoken with BA and Air Canada, BA will change the name for free, however Air Canada are adamant that it will cost £421.65 to re-book the tickets. This is due to it involving multiple airlines - yet BA are changing their flights for free! They are claiming very complex systems.

Terrible customer service from Air Canada
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    Most full service carriers don't even allow name changes so if £421 is all its costing you've got away with your mistake very cheaply.

Its not terrible customer service by AC. They're actually helping you out. Both airlines could have made you buy new tickets and forfeit the cost of the original ones.
    • dodell27
    • By dodell27 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dodell27
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    Not sure I agree, they say refund the ticket and buy one for 100% more - which is what BA must be doing. Surely Air Canada have the ability to discount that replacement ticket for the original price? An admin fee I could understand.

Anyway I'm going to have to tell my wife tonight, wish me luck...
    Last edited by dodell27; 16-06-2017 at 4:39 PM. Reason: typo
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 14,489 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    exactly , my other half has continued to use her existing passport and travel under her maiden name . we plan to do so still when its renewed
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Well, Mrs MbW is Russian and has to use her Russian passport to travel which is in her maiden name.

Once she gets her UK citizenship and can have a UK passport she'll put it in her married name.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,232Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter