Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • princess23
    • By princess23 16th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    princess23
    0 WOW
    Help please needed
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    0 WOW
    Help please needed 16th Jun 17 at 3:05 PM
    I am trying to organise a two day trip for my son who will be 21 next month and wants to visit London. I have already organised for a meal at the Shard and booked hotel in London Docklands. I would like to do the following
    O2 Cable Cars (on day we arrive as makes sense hotel nearby)
    Evening Meal at Shard

Second Day - He would like to do the following:
    Thames Boat Trip
    HMS Belfast
    London Eye
    History Museum

We have also arranged for a surprise to visit Houses of Parliament to have a tour in the afternoon.

Could anyone advise on best way to get to and these places from the Docklands and also best websites to use to purchase tickets in advance to help with costs. Thank you for any advice or help you could give.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    emirates cable car can be done with an oyster card

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/emirates-air-line

oyster card is easiest and cheapest way to travel

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • princess23
    • By princess23 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    Yes it is expensive but a memory we hope he will always remember and cherish .
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    if hes going to London by train you can get 2 for 1 on the London eye

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/london-eye

and HMS belfast

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/hms-belfast
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • princess23
    • By princess23 16th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    No we are driving and parking at hotel in Docklands thats where we will be based for a couple of days.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    if you mean the Natural History museum then entry is free

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit.html
    • princess23
    • By princess23 16th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    if you mean the Natural History museum then entry is free

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit.html
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Yes he did tell us the museum was free is there a bus route guide to know which bus to get on. Sorry not been to London in over 30 years
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    http://tickets.london/attraction-tickets
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    Yes he did tell us the museum was free is there a bus route guide to know which bus to get on. Sorry not been to London in over 30 years
    Originally posted by princess23

I'd get the tube personally as a Londoner , buses over short distances like the Number 15 historic routemaster from Tower to Trafalgar square are Ok but long distances can be a nightmare

The nearest Tube stations are Gloucester Road and South Kensington on the District, Piccadilly and Circle lines. Both stations are approximately five minutes’ walk from the Museum.

take the DLR from Docklands to Tower Gateway , walk across the road to Tower hill tube , circle or district line to the above stations

Tower gateway is walkable distance to the Shard otherwise you are looking at DLR to Canning Town and then Jubilee Line to London bridge. same Station for HMS Belfast
    Last edited by Browntoa; 16-06-2017 at 3:34 PM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    Browntoa
    you can combine the River cruise with the London EYE

http://www.citycruises.com/london-sightseeing/packages/the-london-eye

hop on / hop off the cruise
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,547 Thanks
    wealdroam
    No we are driving and parking at hotel in Docklands thats where we will be based for a couple of days.
    There is nothing to stop you buying the cheapest train ticket - a Charing Cross to Waterloo East single is cheap - and making use of the suggestions made by Browntoa in post#4.

No need to actually travel anywhere by train.
    • princess23
    • By princess23 16th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    There is nothing to stop you buying the cheapest train ticket - a Charing Cross to Waterloo East single is cheap - and making use of the suggestions made by Browntoa in post#4.

No need to actually travel anywhere by train.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Thank you for your suggestion, i think tbh not knowing our way around london or using trains as again havent done so for years sorry lol. ALso left with the pain of having to vacate the hotel at usually midday and wanting to make the most of the day before travelling home what to do with suitcase etc.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,547 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Thank you for your suggestion, i think tbh not knowing our way around london or using trains as again havent done so for years sorry lol. ALso left with the pain of having to vacate the hotel at usually midday and wanting to make the most of the day before travelling home what to do with suitcase etc.
    Not sure what any of that has to do with my or Browntoa's suggestion.
    But if you want to pay double what everyone else is paying on the London Eye and HMS Belfast, that's your choice.

Did you read the last line of my post?

If you're parking at the hotel, why not put your cases in your car after checking out, before enjoying the rest of your last day in London?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,918Posts Today

8,699Users online

Martin's Twitter