Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshmike
    • By welshmike 16th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 23Thanks
    welshmike
    HSBC Advance account application process complaint
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    HSBC Advance account application process complaint 16th Jun 17 at 2:29 PM
    Please do not take this as a rant.

I attempted to apply by phone for the subject account earlier this week and was told that I needed to have an appointment at a HSBC branch.(My mistake because I now believe that I can apply online).
    I had that appointment at a HSBC branch today and after 90 minutes during the application process at the branch the application had not been completed and I had to leave so as not to overstay my 2 hours parking ticket and get fined.
    As far as I can recollect I had not been told by phone that I needed to take 2 pieces of identification, one containing my address (I happened to have my driving licence on me though) and information about my income and outgoings. The patient and polite person at the HSBC branch carried out my application as efficiently as possible but not due to the person's fault the HSBC process was cumbersome and lengthy and we ran out of time. The person told me that it usually takes 2 hours to complete the application process (I had not been told that on the phone). On my return from the branch today I started to apply online.
    As some stage it was written during the online process that it was important to read the following document
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_esf-ca-app-content/content/uk/pdfs/en/47590_Personal_Banking_TCs_WEB.pdf
    Therein is stated
    Payments within the UK - Electronic Funds
    Transfers To non-HSBC accounts - Online Banking-n/a
    So does that mean not available (or zero charge)?
    However I have now completed the online application and will await the outcome.
    Last edited by welshmike; 16-06-2017 at 2:31 PM. Reason: a word was missing
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 18,543 Posts
    • 14,272 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    I'm not sure what your complaint is as you don't seem to have specified it in your post.

On your question I would say that it means there is no charge for payments made through Online Banking, although I agree it's not entirely clear, and their charges for using other payment methods are so ridiculous that I would steer clear of this account completely unless there is some compelling reason for opening it.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    Prepare be frustrated.. worst account opening process in my UK wide (including foreign & challenger) bank experience...
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 16th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    TheEffect
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    I've opened various HSBC accounts in branch, including HSBC Plus (no longer offered), HSBC Student and HSBC Advance (most recently).

It does not take 2 hours to run through the application. An hour, if you get someone extremely slow, maybe.

• soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    Prepare be frustrated.. worst account opening process in my UK wide (including foreign & challenger) bank experience...
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Worst on-line... branch is reputed to be a lot better.
    • bravotango
    • By bravotango 17th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    bravotango
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    To be honest, I've never really had any major problems with HSBC, and they have been courteous most of the time. If they have messed up, they have owned up to it, and if it has been a major inconvenience, they have provided sufficient compensation.

Maybe it's regional? (I'm down in Central London).

I didn't open a new account with HSBC all those years ago, as I originally opened a Midland Bank account which subsequently was bought by HSBC. After a year or two of the Advance account being out, they automatically upgraded my account to an Advance account, and it's still been fine.

Do you have another branch you could go to?

The longest time I have had to spend in a HSBC branch has probably been 25-30mins, but usually on average about 4-7mins (whether using the counter service, or speaking to someone at a customer service desk, or just using the automated machines). I don't know your location, but maybe because there are quite a few branches dotted around Central London, it helps to disperse the customers a bit more, hence less of a crowd?

With regards to providing 2 pieces of identification, I thought it was standard practice for them to do something like this. I know they tend to do Electronic Checks now, but I know a number of people who work for the Civil Service and they originally had to provide 2 pieces of identification (firstly, Name and secondly proof of address), and this is in addition to Central Government Electronic Checks to confirm you are who you claim you are. The simple fact is that there is a lot of fraud out there, and as there is no such thing as a fool proof system (all electrical systems have some bug or another, despite peoples intention to build a robust and secure system) it means they have to make sure everything is OK.
    Last edited by bravotango; 17-06-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    Save Save Save

• Sean473
    • By Sean473 17th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sean473
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Very true!!!
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 19th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    What is it that makes opening a HSBC account so frustrating? I have never used them before but I am thinking about applying for the Advance account. Are their procedures not the same as most other banks?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 20th Jun 17, 11:20 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:20 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:20 PM
    What is it that makes opening a HSBC account so frustrating? I have never used them before but I am thinking about applying for the Advance account. Are their procedures not the same as most other banks?
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5591268&page=2

See post #27 in particular - maybe they've improved... but I doubt it. Good luck, it gets there in the end.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 21st Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas

It's like getting into Fort Knox. Several layers of security, far more excessive than any other bank I've applied to.
    • welshmike
    • By welshmike 24th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    welshmike
    This is a follow up to my post #1 in this thread.

I now have a HSBC Advance account and wanted to switch to it from an account I have with another bank. I read the pop-up on HSBC's website that states:

The Current Account Switch Service is only available by either in branch or by calling our dedicated switching team once your account is opened. Switching using Current Account Switch Service cannot be done online.
    So I called HSBC to speak to the dedicated switching team and after a long wait and going through “security” I was put on music hold. After an interminable time I gave up.

I do have an appointment at the branch where I spent 2 hours opening my account so that the switch can be carried out, allegedly to take “only” an hour.

I note on HSBC’s website that the £200 offer is subject to availability.

So will I end up not getting that and will it have been a complete waste of time?
    • gatters
    • By gatters 24th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gatters
    I'm not sure about availability, but make sure you instruct your switch to happen within 30 days of opening the account.

Once you do have your telephone/branch appointment it's at least 7 working days after that I believe.

It took me a total of 40mins on the phone, including getting my telephone/online banking sorted.

Oh and you'll need your old debit card details, as well as the sort code and account number. That wasn't obvious to me.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 24th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Trina90
    Applied online. Got all my paperwork through from HSBC to check that all my details are correct. They weren't. They had missed a letter out of my first name. Called them up like the form asked me to, then find that I have to go in branch. Really inconvenient given that I am working when they are open.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 24th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    It was a prolonged process for me. So much so that I was too late for the switching bonus. I phoned and complained that I couldn't switch in time as I didn't have the information I needed. They credited my account with the £200 right away in response to my call.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 24th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 8,788 Posts
    • 7,466 Thanks
    colsten
    When I first opened a current account with HSBC, it took weeks before I had online access. They never managed to send me a debit card for that account in over TWO years, despite me asking for one now and then. As I only used the account to get access to the Regular Saver, not having a debit card wasn't a massive problem.

When they made the Advance account available without monthly charge, I upgraded to get the higher interest rate on the Regular Saver. This was a relatively painful process as it took the best part of an hour on the phone to get the upgrade done. This time they did manage to send a debit card though, and the account has been running smoothly ever since. Mind you, I don't really use the current account, just the Regular Saver, and that was worth the hassle.
    • welshmike
    • By welshmike 7th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    welshmike
    Switch carried out 6 July.
    I now have the ability to carry out transactions on my account and am hoping to receive the Initial Offer Payment of £150 within 50 days of the switch completion date. I calculate that that should be before 26 August
    • schiff
    • By schiff 8th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 17,716 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    schiff
    To balance out the adverse comments about HSBC a little, I applied for the Advance account on 27 June and in just over one week I have everything. Except the security number for internet access which I sent away for on June 30th, a week ago. The result is that so far there's no money in the account and I can't open the regular saver, though that might be possible in the branch?

I still have the switch to come!
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 9th Jul 17, 1:02 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Reading all these horror stories I was expecting quite a frustrating experience. I never had a personal account with HSBC but I have had a Business account with them for over 10 years. When I applied online I did not get a successful message but one that said that someone would call me within two business day to discuss some of the details of my application. On Day three when I was about to call up to find out what was going on, the debit card came in the post... not other information or confirmation that my account was opened. I called up to set up my online banking and sucesful did that in less then 15 minutes. So I cannot complaint.

NB: I have had a lot of applications over the last year or so due to reorganising all my finances and credit cards (had 9 cards a year ago, now only 6, but only 2 of these are from before the last 18 months), and started not to be immediately approved on the most recent application, but after some manual intervention, most of them turned up successful .
    • schiff
    • By schiff 10th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 17,716 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    schiff
    To balance out the adverse comments about HSBC a little, I applied for the Advance account on 27 June and in just over one week I have everything. Except the security number for internet access which I sent away for on June 30th, a week ago. The result is that so far there's no money in the account and I can't open the regular saver, though that might be possible in the branch?
    I still have the switch to come!
    Originally posted by schiff
    This may be where the nightmare begins! I've not had the security number, though it may arrive today, so I decided to bite the bullet. Got the phone number of my nearest branch and phoned for an appointment. Didn't get the branch, though its number was given via HSBC's website, got a call centre. Very difficult to get through the accent. I was told there are no appointments available in that branch in July.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,016Posts Today

9,619Users online

Martin's Twitter