Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • IDeamOfFairies
    • By IDeamOfFairies 16th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,768Posts
    • 48,302Thanks
    Change of agency - strange taxcode... is this right?
    • #1
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    Change of agency - strange taxcode... is this right? 16th Jun 17 at 1:54 PM
    Where I work terminated the agency contract on 2nd May 2017
    all agency workers were transferred to another agency under "TUPE" on 3rd May 2017 (same place of work, same hours & pay rate -- just different agency paying the wages)

    On my wage slips & P45 from the previous agency my tax code was 1150L
    On my wage slip from the new agency it is 0516T/1

    Looking on the website they have the following details
    OLD AGENCY - 276L
    £1,554.01 income / £45.00 tax paid
    they have this down as previous employer, with the employment ended on 6th May

    NEW AGENCY - 873T
    £1,207.14 income / £161.60 tax paid

    Shouldn't the new agency have the same 1150L taxcode, rather than splitting the tax code between the 2 agencies ?

    Also wondered why site has it down as 873T, but my pay slip says 0516T/1

    If any more info is required, please ask.... thanks in advance
    Last edited by IDeamOfFairies; 16-06-2017 at 2:18 PM.
    Yes, I know there is no "R" in the word dream in my username - it was setup in memory of my grandson
Page 1
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    I would think that HMRC have not been notified that your employment with agency 1 has terminated and believe that you have 2 agency jobs, which is why your code has been split. also your new code is week 1. It should be sorted soon but if not a quick (if you ring early morning) call to HMRC would sort it.
    • IDeamOfFairies
    • By IDeamOfFairies 16th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 48,302 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    Thanks, I have just been chatting to an online advisor on the HMRC website (tried phoning but was on hold for 30 mins) and got the following reply.... so hopefully all sorted.

    Thanks, I'll get this sorted for you now. I am going to send out a new tax code to yourself and your employer, it normally takes your employer about 48 hours to activate this code. Once it’s activated, on your next pay you will get all of the tax back which you have been overpaying back in your wage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

  • RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

  • RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

  • Follow Martin