Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 16th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 233Posts
    • 535Thanks
    GreenQueen
    Professional Oven cleaning
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    Professional Oven cleaning 16th Jun 17 at 1:51 PM
    I know it isn't very money saving, but has anyone had their oven cleaned professionally? How much does it cost? Did the job live up to your expectations?

My oven is really disgusting, and I'm wondering whether I need to invest in a thorough clean, and then start from scratch with regular cleans myself before it gets too bad again.

many thanks,
    GQ
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 16th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 6,847 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    I have only ever done the really evil stuff that comes in a kit with a big bag for your shelves and gunk to spread on the oven walls and leave for hours. That was pretty effective if you choose to go DIY
    • hex2
    • By hex2 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 79,669 Thanks
    hex2
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    I have. £70 for a stainless steel range oven and hob. Took two of them a couple of hours, It was filthy and it came out looking lovely. They take the inside panels off for chemical treatment, and use power tool things to make the hob bits spotless.

Could I have got it that clean myself? No, I don't think so, but I also hope I don't have to get them in again as I am trying to keep on top of it now. I have invested a few pounds in some oven liners to make it easier to keep clean in the future.

I did it after a friend used one of those offer companies to get hers done and she said it was good. I searched for local company rather than do that, and found that the price was roughly similar anyway.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,593 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    I used a local company , cost £40 for a double oven , when I first moved in here. All the chrome bits taken outside and soaked in something in the van whilst the rest was done by hand . was 100% better when she was finished

I now just keep it clean on an ongoing basis and use an over liner at the bottom to avoid drips of stuff baking solid
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 13,952 Posts
    • 37,911 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    When I had a cooker that needed cleaning - then I put a large oven tray at the bottom of it to catch "drips". I was wary of using oven liners myself - ie heating up plastic and wondering about fumes etc.

Thankfully - I recently got a new kitchen anyway and cookers these days seem to have the self-cleaning "burn it all off as it goes" thingie with them. That was another blessing of having a new kitchen imo
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 16th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    Many thanks, all. Mine is really getting me down. I have used the "overnight bag for the shelves" cleaner, and that's the best I've used, but it's still a job I hate.

All the comments are positive about the end result, so the only decision I need to make now is whether I can afford it!

GQ
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    I haven't but know someone who had the oven & hob cleaned. Oven came out beautifully but the rings on the cast iron hob have now rusted slightly & need to be regularly oiled. No idea how much it cost.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 16th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    JIL
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    There's always an offer on Groupon, go through tcb.£35.

I had mine done, was here an hour, oven looked great afterwards. I paid £10 for the hob but I don't think that was any better than I could have done myself.

I will definitely pay to have my oven cleaned once per year.
    Last edited by JIL; 17-06-2017 at 7:13 PM. Reason: Spell check changed hob to job, I changed it back.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 16th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    I always use oven pride. It's usually only around £3 and a bottle will do two ovens

Yes it's a hateful job, but I've found if I keep on top of it, it's not too hard. I've a double oven and I mainly use the top one so its that one that's cleaned monthly, the large one is around once every three months

I do clean the glass doors and wipe off any spills with each use. I also use oven trays so spills are contained

If your oven has got to the stage where it's just beyond you ( and none of us are perfect) then pay for a professional clean, then buy liners for the bottom and use something like oven pride to keep on top of it. It's a lot easier keeping something clean then trying to clean something that's beyond you
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 16th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Hermia
    Many thanks, all. Mine is really getting me down. I have used the "overnight bag for the shelves" cleaner, and that's the best I've used, but it's still a job I hate.

All the comments are positive about the end result, so the only decision I need to make now is whether I can afford it!

GQ
    Originally posted by GreenQueen
    I would go for it and then clean it regularly yourself so you don't need to pay out again. The company near me charge £50. What I like is that they don't just get the oven clean, but they also leave the kitchen spotless and take the rubbish away.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Jun 17, 1:03 AM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I myself do like above, I have a tray below to collect drips as that tray costs a few quid at most and saves time and effort scrubbing it down, still get a few pieces which I am not sure how to get rid of as its a new oven so don't want to use abrasive stuff.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 4,026 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I used a local firm here in London. £59 for a double oven.

Mine had got into a real state, beyond the sort of clean I could do myself. It was £59 very well spent - my ovens weren't simply clean they looked like new. Up to me now to keep them looking clean.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had mine done by a smashing lady who was in partnership with her Dad.Brilliant job and well worth the £50 I paid.She even replaced the faulty light bulb in the oven.

I have a remoska which I use more now, my oven only goes on for when I make cookies or cake now so its easier to keep clean.But I thought it was brilliant and saved my back and joints as I find as I have got older bending more of a problem and I just don't get down on my knees anymore due to difficulty getting up again .
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 17th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I find as I have got older bending more of a problem and I just don't get down on my knees anymore due to difficulty getting up again .
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I know just what you mean - I can get down but the getting up again is a problem! I have a garden kneeler/seat that gets used more in the house than it does outside but it does help. Also, over the last couple of years I've re-organised my storage (all around the house) so that items I use a lot are in places that I don't have to bend down to and I keep the lower areas for stuff that's not used much.

As for the OP question, I'd go for it as it would be money well spent. After all, we're worth it!

Other than baking, my oven doesn't get used as much now as it used to either, but when needed I give it a quick wipe out after use and also have a once-redundant shallow tray covered in foil in the bottom to catch any drips. I take the shelves out regularly and give them a quick scrub with a stainless steel pad. I tend to use the SC more often than not as I find that easier and it saves money too.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter