Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YasmineA90
    • By YasmineA90 16th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 11Thanks
    YasmineA90
    What's the best method to overpay?
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    What's the best method to overpay? 16th Jun 17 at 1:42 PM
    I'm 7 months into a 25 year mortgage. £71800 left to pay, currently 7 months into my 2 year fix rate at 2.34%.
    I've been overpaying £50 a month making my payments approx £370 a month. I can probably afford more than this but just been wanting a nice chilled out life at the moment with my 1 year old. I'm now changing my mind and I'm now thinking I want to own the house asap to speed up my plans of progressing to buying more homes in future. (Potentially, I am probably a bit ambitious). I could probably afford another 200-300 overpayment if I budget and buy cheap food etc. (It's my own mortgage and I get about £1.5k-1.8k a month)
    Does it matter if I overpay in my two year fixed period or after and what's the best route to go down, one off payments or monthly?

Thanks guys
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 28,823 Posts
    • 17,243 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    If daily interest make the payment as soon as you are happy the cash is spare.
    • neverbrokensarah
    • By neverbrokensarah 20th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    neverbrokensarah
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    A fixed rate will have a repayment penalty but usually you are able to overpay an amount either set per month or % of original mortgage amount annually. Find out what these allowances are for you and work with them so only overpay what you can without a fee and anything else you'd have wanted to overpay save in an account with more interest than your mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin