Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 16th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RichardCUK
    Painting on Fresh Plaster
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    Painting on Fresh Plaster 16th Jun 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hi everyone,

I've made the schoolboy error of painting silk white basecoat onto fresh plaster. Now the plaster had dried but I'm reading I should of done a white wash first with with matte white basecoat and mix it down with water.

Now I am finding some of the basecoat is peeling off rather easy. Is there a way I can reverse my mistake?

As I say some of it is easily peeling off and ill remove it put a fair amount of it is firmly on the wall. Would it be best for me to lightly sand down the walls then do a white wash basecoat?
Page 1
    • AlexandLauren
    • By AlexandLauren 16th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    AlexandLauren
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    Normally you would do a mist coat of around 50/50 water and emulsion to seal the new plaster before the top coat of paint

Unfortunately the only way i see to rectify it is to sand it back and start again
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 16th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    Not sure there's any easy way to fix this. You've effectively coated the plaster in a relatively impermeable layer of paint which is likely to be sitting on top of the plaster rather firmly adhered to it - the new plaster is still very porous so it would have absorbed a lot of moisture from the paint causing it to dry out quickly leaving a sheet of paint that is prone to peeling.

Sanding it only increases the risk of peeling and there's a chance you'll end up with patches all over the wall where the paint has peeled off and the only way to fix that would be to fill before overcoating. I'm not sure there's much point in doing a mist coat over the top of a relatively non-porous coating.
    • Richie_C
    • By Richie_C 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Richie_C
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    So is there nothing I can do at all?

Thing is I've painted a bedroom the same way and the paints not peeled off.

Could I just sand it down and go from there?

I can't afford to have the room skimmed again
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RichardCUK
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    I'm reading on sites like mybuilder people saying the best bet is to lightly sand down the walls and then use a whitewash on the walls with matte emulsion
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 16th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    If the paint is not peeling off in the bedroom - great. leave it alone. There's a reasonable chance most of the silk will come off the first room with a wallpaper scraper (take it easy, and keep your angle shallow).

How much paint is left will dictate how much sanding lays ahead. If you or someone you know has an orbital sander, it won't be a long job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

3,878Users online

Martin's Twitter