Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 16th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 6Thanks
    caveman8006
    Barclays ISA massive fee rise
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    Barclays ISA massive fee rise 16th Jun 17 at 12:13 PM
    I have just received an email from Barclays Investors "about the next big step in investing with us. We’re planning to move your Barclays Stockbrokers account(s) to Smart Investor, the new direct investing service from Barclays, ready for you to log in from Monday 28 August 2017"

On further investigation, though, it turns out that this new product will increase the annual fee on my £700k stocks and shares ISA (in which I only hold shares and ITs) from a fixed fee of £35 pa to a product with a 0.2% fee on funds and 0.1% fee on other holdings like shares, ITs and ETFs. That's potentially a annual increase of 2000%! Generously, they will offer to "cap" my fee for 3 years at £200, although that is still substantially higher than the equivalent Hargreaves Lansdown product which has a £45 pa cap.

At least there are no transfer out charges with Barclays, so I will be able to switch from Barclays to HL and save £200pa (and possibly be paid £500 upfront by HL) - a no-brainer! I think it is slightly bizarre that I have been forced to switch substantial sums to HL from first Fidelity and now Barclays in the last 12 months to save money!
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    Any change from a fixed fee to a percentage-based charge will inevitably benefit some and disadvantage others, with large portfolios most likely to suffer, so even though you see it as a "massive fee rise", others will see it as a reduction.

As you rightly say though, if it doesn't work for you, go elsewhere!
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 16th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    caveman8006
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    True enough - although, as there is a minimum service fee of £4 per month, no-one will be better off as a result of this change
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    There is pressure for platforms not to show any bias between the investment universes other than where is necessary. There is no cost difference to a platform in holding funds or shares or other direct investments quoted on the LSE. So, when there is a difference in pricing then there is a bias and that bias is not considered ethical.

So, a platform with higher charges for UT/OEIC holders is using them to cross subsidise those with direct investments on a lower charge.

True enough - although, as there is a minimum service fee of £4 per month, no-one will be better off as a result of this change
    Most platforms are loss making. The platforms, like Barlcays, which are minor players and not getting large inflows will have to decide to increase charges or sell up/shut down.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • merts
    • By merts 17th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    merts
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    Pretty much exactly the same issue here and I guess I'll also move account. Where did the £200 cap from. Is that something offered generally or did you call them?
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 17th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 12,017 Posts
    • 10,455 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    At least there are no transfer out charges with Barclays, so I will be able to switch from Barclays to HL and save £200pa (and possibly be paid £500 upfront by HL) - a no-brainer! I think it is slightly bizarre that I have been forced to switch substantial sums to HL from first Fidelity and now Barclays in the last 12 months to save money!
    Originally posted by caveman8006
    Seems a sideways step to move from a platform where you're worried about costs to another that is known for high costs.

Surely iWeb would be cheaper at £25 one off fee?

Edit - just seen you only have shares with HL which will make it cheaper, still not as cheap as iWeb though.
    Last edited by jimjames; 17-06-2017 at 5:30 PM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 18th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    caveman8006
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    Apparently all existing Barclays ISA customers are offered the £200pa cap for 3 years.

As for HL vs Iweb etc.., in my opinion the better HL tools and service are worth a few quid extra, (just not a few thousand which is the difference if you own funds!).
    • pvt
    • By pvt 18th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    Just openned the email today and horrified. When the fees go up this much it's pretty much someone telling you they just don't want your business any more (As Dunston's comments would indicate is the case).

I've a £200k ISA, with about 85% in funds and 15% 'others'. The price calculator on their website suggests I will be hit with huge hike in fees.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what the "information pack" says - the videos on their website are completely devoid of information and just have videos of coffee machines making 'flat whites' for smiling happy people.

A friend recommended AJ Bell, but they seem just as expensive. So is HL the best route?
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 19th Jun 17, 12:30 AM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 AM
    A friend recommended AJ Bell, but they seem just as expensive. So is HL the best route?
    Originally posted by pvt
    Unlikely for a sizable fund holding but do some analysis using your own numbers at the various comparison sites:

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 19th Jun 17, 12:31 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    I've a £200k ISA, with about 85% in funds and 15% 'others'.
    Originally posted by pvt
    Originally posted by pvt
    Why don't you play with Snowman's spreadsheet and input your figures and see how the charges change?

There's the link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030

Edited to add: eskbanker beat me by 1 minute
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 20th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    caveman8006
    Just openned the email today and horrified. When the fees go up this much it's pretty much someone telling you they just don't want your business any more (As Dunston's comments would indicate is the case).

I've a £200k ISA, with about 85% in funds and 15% 'others'. The price calculator on their website suggests I will be hit with huge hike in fees.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what the "information pack" says - the videos on their website are completely devoid of information and just have videos of coffee machines making 'flat whites' for smiling happy people.

Originally posted by pvt

Probably not in your case, as HL charges 0.45% for funds compared to 0.2% at Barclays. You may even be better staying where you are provided you can negotiate a transitional fee cap, as most of the "high service provider" alternatives charge 0.25% or more...
    • Dazzak
    • By Dazzak 12th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dazzak
    Similarly I will be moving my £300K SIPP out and also my son's Junior SIPP.

What I find most galling is that Barclays tell me the charges will be about the same, but they're not, they are doubling! Add to that they emailed me less than 12 months ago confirming there were no plans to change fees. Was (not so) SMART investor only just thought of then? I think not.

As for my son's Junior SIPP, the fees are increasing by 40% and IT WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE TO MANAGE ONLINE. Barclays, what are you playing out? This is 2017, this is a bizarre decision.

Oh, and I will also be moving my ISA away too.

Congratulations Barclays, you had a very good well run product, now you have alienated many soon to be ex-customers with misleading comments and ludicrous fee hikes.
    • Dazzak
    • By Dazzak 12th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dazzak
    £200 cap
    I think you will find the £200 cap only applies to Barclays fees. They will separately charge you the AJ Bell fees on top which is another £150.

Barclays seem to think it is more clear if you are charged two separate fees rather than one. When I phoned to query the fees they did not mention the AJ Bell fees until promoted by myself. At best this is clumsy, at worst it is misleading and maybe lays them out to charges of misselling.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I think you will find the £200 cap only applies to Barclays fees. They will separately charge you the AJ Bell fees on top which is another £150.

Barclays seem to think it is more clear if you are charged two separate fees rather than one. When I phoned to query the fees they did not mention the AJ Bell fees until promoted by myself. At best this is clumsy, at worst it is misleading and maybe lays them out to charges of misselling.
    Originally posted by Dazzak
    At least one of us is misunderstanding this - AJ Bell are a competitor of Barclays so you'd pay one broker or the other but not both!
    • Dazzak
    • By Dazzak 13th Jul 17, 6:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dazzak
    Although technically AJ Bell are a competitor as I understand it Barclays actually use AJ Bell for the administration. I would urge anyone to read the missive from Barclays carefully as you do indeed pay two fees, £150 pa (for a SIPP) that goes to AJ Bell plus Barclays new charges on top.

At a quick glance through Barclays literature you may well not pick up on this.
    • neet
    • By neet 8th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neet
    Completely Stumped!
    I don't think I ever got the email - but may have been on hols and missed its significance. I was phoned and told only small change but your note made me check and its gone up 10x ignoring the promised cap.

They already kicked my childrens' accounts off the system because they dont seem to have capacity to recognise a bare trust. Ive been there since Schwab days and have wife's stuff on too - so bed and breakfast and income shifting possible - even this they say they wont do - you have to somehow contact the registrar!!!

I only buy equities ITs and occasional ETFs and trade infrequently. I have a SIPP with HL which is logical place to move stuff to.

WHAT TO DO? Moving in potentially volatile markets could be dangerous as it takes weeks for transfer to go through and perhaps longer if everyone is on the move. I am guessing that they will not try to charge as it is their terms of trade which are prompting a move but think I will wait til markets look more settled.
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 18th Sep 17, 12:01 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    caveman8006
    Just to note that Hargreaves have a limited time offer to give up to £500 cashback on transfers at present, while Barclays have only guaranteed no exit fees until 1 November, so I think the logical conclusion is to initiate the transfer fairly soon...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,704Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin