Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 16th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 105Posts
    • 61Thanks
    chou-chou
    Plug with 2 pin option
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    Plug with 2 pin option 16th Jun 17 at 11:18 AM
    We've got a thing that plugs into a single socket and you can then plug a normal 3 pin plug into it but it also has additional sockets on either side for a 2 pin plug. So, when fully loaded you could plug 2 x 2 pin and 1 x 3 pin at the same time.

Am trying to find a replacement online but can only seem to find ones that will allow a single 2 pin device to plug in.

Does anyone know what this thing is called so I can find one??

Hope this makes sense!!

x
Page 1
    • Niv
    • By Niv 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    Niv
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    Travel adaptor?
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    So, when fully loaded you could plug 2 x 2 pin and 1 x 3 pin at the same time.
    Noooo ! You're overloading the socket. These adaptors are only meant to be used for short term 'emergencies' - if you need more sockets then have proper ones fitted.

New adaptors are limited to just 2 sockets for a reason. Safety.
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    chou-chou
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    Noooo ! You're overloading the socket. These adaptors are only meant to be used for short term 'emergencies' - if you need more sockets then have proper ones fitted.
    It is pretty old - lol!

To be fair it's only usually got the electric toothbrush plugged in which sits there overnight a couple of times a week plus then used for husbands shaver and clippers, again randomly. So not using it with all three at the same time.

Is just quite handy to have it there if we want to plug a 3 pin thing in like vacuum or blow up bed but the 2 pin sockets are a bit loose so wanted to replace it.

x
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 16th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:46 PM

Originally posted by Silvertabby
    I'm not sure where you get this information. New 3-way block adaptors are still freely available.

There is no question of overloading the socket if the adaptor is fitted with a 13 amp fuse, as they should be.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 16th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 4,825 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    benjus
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:56 PM

Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Your point is valid if the adapter is used for high power appliances, but these days the problem tends to be that there aren't enough power outlets for all the electronic gadgets that people have. Since these draw relatively little power, you aren't going to overload the socket. Anyway, most adapters are fused at 13A so would blow the fuse if the load became too great.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 16th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    I used a 2pin adapter plugged into a 3 way adapter, plugged into the wall socket for years. Recently replaced the whole socket with a 2 socket one - not too hard to do.
    You can get converters which need wiring up - if you can wire a plug, you could fit this (switch of the power first) such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/clipsal-converta-socket-1-gang-to-2-gang-polycarbonate/12849#_=p
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin