Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 16th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 719Posts
    • 277Thanks
    Ant555
    External Socket
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    External Socket 16th Jun 17 at 11:01 AM
    If I get a local electrician to install an external double power socket then do they run a 'spur' off an existing socket?

If so, then does the external socket typically have to be mounted on the external wall immediately behind the internal socket for ease?
Page 1
    • AlexandLauren
    • By AlexandLauren 16th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    AlexandLauren
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    The outside socket doesn't necessarily need to be attached to the house, you can run it down to a garden shed or garden wall using armoured cable
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    A spur from the internal ring main would be sensible, it may require a fused spur under the latest regs.

It can be installed anywhere outside with the correct cabling.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 16th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    If I get a local electrician to install an external double power socket then do they run a 'spur' off an existing socket?
    Originally posted by Ant555
    They can do, although if its practical to add it to the ring I would imagine they'd prefer to do it that way.

Nothing wrong with a spur in principle but I think the reason some electricians avoid them is every time you add a spur, you increase the risk that somebody else will come along in the future and run another spur off the spur and reduce the overall safety of the installation.

If so, then does the external socket typically have to be mounted on the external wall immediately behind the internal socket for ease?
    That would probably be the easiest approach.

The important thing to remember here is that an outside socket needs to be RCD protected - if the existing circuit it is being added to does not have RCD protection then and RCD will need to be introduced somewhere.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 16th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    A spur from the internal ring main would be sensible, it may require a fused spur under the latest regs.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    I have no idea whether this is needed under the latest regs (I'm not an electrician) but would imagine having the socket connected to an internal switched fused spur would be a sensible option as it makes it easy to isolate the socket and stop people from using it, who shouldn't be.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    Thanks for the replies,
    Its really for the lawnmower etc as I currently use a 10m long extension lead that I plug in and up through an open window.
    The location would ideally be on the outer wall of the conservatory directly behind an existing double socket.

Its a private, enclosed back garden so not really a prime target for unauthorised use although I guess I could padlock when not in use as I see some of them have loops for this.

Thanks for all the info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter