Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 16th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 386Posts
    • 142Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Replacing windscreen
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    Replacing windscreen 16th Jun 17 at 10:59 AM
    I've noticed a crack in my windscreen. I don't know how long it's been there. It's very low down (just above the black dots at the bottom on the windscreen) and didn't look like a crack from the outside. There's a stone chip in the corner with a line running across that looks more like a scratch or mark than a "proper" crack. I can't see it from my driving position.

Insurance has just been renewed and I'm weighing up between going through insurance and paying a windscreen company directly. I've had three incidents over the last five years so I'm concerned about impact on premiums.

2013 - ended up being 50:50
    2014 - driver admitted liability
    2016 - non-fault

I have 10 yrs NCB protected. Excess for glass is £70 and must be done through autoglass IIRC. New windscreen according to autoglass quote is £300. The car has a rain and light sensor and I've read reports that if the windscreen hasn't been fitted properly, then the sensors don't work or go haywire.

Should I go through insurance and not worry about the premium rise? Should I pay directly (I have the funds)?
Page 1
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    Just get it done on the insurance; that's why you've got it. Windscreen claims are not supposed to affect NCB or premiums.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 16th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    marlot
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    If autoglass are quoting £300, a local independent may well only be £150. Worth a few phone calls, I'd have thought.
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    takman
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    If autoglass are quoting £300, a local independent may well only be £150. Worth a few phone calls, I'd have thought.
    Originally posted by marlot
    I would suggest this too.

On a previous car which had a rain sensor and tinted strip on the top the windscreen i got a quote from Autoglass and they wanted over £600 for the windscreen and fitting!. I then called a local windscreen fitter and they did it for £145!.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    My insurance don't class windscreens as a claim. Check with yours there are many that don't.
    This space for hire.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 16th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    deaston
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    I've had two new windscreens in three weeks, both on insurance.

Not affected NCB and no questions asked. Just £75 each time.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    I've had two new windscreens in three weeks, both on insurance.

Not affected NCB and no questions asked. Just £75 each time.
    Originally posted by deaston
    Mine was similar. On the way to view a car the windscreen suffered a stone chip so had to be replaced before trading in.

On picking up the new car I had an enthusiastic test of it resulting in a stone chip.

I must admit I half expected a bill the second time but fair play to the insurance company they didn't bat an eye lid.
    This space for hire.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 9,557 Posts
    • 6,557 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    My insurance don't class windscreens as a claim. Check with yours there are many that don't.
    Originally posted by waamo
    What insurer are you with?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    What insurer are you with?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Axa. Not through a comparison site though. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    This space for hire.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 16th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    loskie
    What Marlot said indie window company NOT autoglass
    • Glassman
    • By Glassman 18th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Glassman
    Axa. Not through a comparison site though. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    Originally posted by waamo
    AXA ins WILL impact your NCB after making a windscreen claim.

I would also be very interested to speak to anybody claiming there will be no rise in premium after a windscreen claim.
    • Glassman
    • By Glassman 18th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Glassman
    I've read reports that if the windscreen hasn't been fitted properly, then the sensors don't work or go haywire.
    Originally posted by d0nkeyk0ng
    It's like with anything, you get what you pay for. That said, if you're paying for a service you should therefore expect the end product to be usable, and fit for purpose. I see there are a few examples of how cheap some vendors can be (cheap for a reason?) however even the 'insurance approved' firms have fitters who can be just as shoddy.

The best available products are genuine, 'OE' grade parts (with the car manufacturer logo on them). Anything without will not be as good and is therefore much cheaper. With either product, fundamentally, it is only as good as the person installing it.

Claiming on insurance will almost definitely mean you'll get a cheap replacement, usually from China or Poland. This also applies to the cheaper quotes from independent fitters.
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    takman
    AXA ins WILL impact your NCB after making a windscreen claim.

I would also be very interested to speak to anybody claiming there will be no rise in premium after a windscreen claim.
    Originally posted by Glassman
    You should try some dummy quotes on comparison sites. I've found that one windscreen claim in the previous year with an otherwise claim free history and generally low risk car and driver does not result in a rise in premium. If you look on this forum some people have had small at fault claims and not had a rise in premium.
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    takman
    It's like with anything, you get what you pay for. That said, if you're paying for a service you should therefore expect the end product to be usable, and fit for purpose. I see there are a few examples of how cheap some vendors can be (cheap for a reason?) however even the 'insurance approved' firms have fitters who can be just as shoddy.

The best available products are genuine, 'OE' grade parts (with the car manufacturer logo on them). Anything without will not be as good and is therefore much cheaper. With either product, fundamentally, it is only as good as the person installing it.
    So your saying that only decent companies will make windscreens with the manufacturers logo on?. How do you know that these sane companies also don't make the same windscreens under a different brand just like all other car parts are produced?. So that results in cheaper parts at the same quality.

Claiming on insurance will almost definitely mean you'll get a cheap replacement, usually from China or Poland.
    This also applies to the cheaper quotes from independent fitters.
    I've claimed twice on insurance in the past for windscreens and both used Autoglass. So are you saying if I book them myself and pay the £600 they will also use cheap replacements or are you saying they have a special contract with insurance companies to use cheaper windscreens when carrying out replacements for them?
    • Glassman
    • By Glassman 18th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Glassman
    You should try some dummy quotes on comparison sites. I've found that one windscreen claim in the previous year with an otherwise claim free history and generally low risk car and driver does not result in a rise in premium. If you look on this forum some people have had small at fault claims and not had a rise in premium.
    Originally posted by takman
    Stay with the same insurer, to compare premiums after claiming for a windscreen. Many will state there is no impact on NCD, but the 'rising cost of insurance' will take all factors into consideration. Even unclaimed losses.
    • Glassman
    • By Glassman 18th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Glassman
    So your saying that only decent companies will make windscreens with the manufacturers logo on?.
    I'm saying there are two tiers (in parts) in terms of quality. The best available parts are the 'genuine' brands, manufactured under license. The lesser quality 'aftermarket' parts are divided further into: those made by the same manufacturers as the OE examples, and the 'non OEM' brands which are usually the cheapest (and most inferior quality of the lot).

How do you know that these sane companies also don't make the same windscreens under a different brand just like all other car parts are produced?. So that results in cheaper parts at the same quality.
    There are no facts available to debunk your suggestion. There are (commercially sensitive) reasons for this and the manufacturers will probably be reluctant to disclose such information on the basis that they produce two versions of the same part. It's a hugely complex subject which I have been researching for a long time. The most active research has been over the last five years, but my industry experience stretches to 25.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/dealer-part-windscreens/

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/windscreen-manufacturers-what-do-they-really-mean/

I've claimed twice on insurance in the past for windscreens and both used Autoglass. So are you saying if I book them myself and pay the £600 they will also use cheap replacements or are you saying they have a special contract with insurance companies to use cheaper windscreens when carrying out replacements for them?
    If you have your windscreen replaced, unless you book the car into a main agent, assume the replacement windscreen will be a non-genuine part (unless you specifically request it, or the installer offers you the choice). The price will be commensurate with the cost of that part (ie, the better quality 'authentic' part usually is dearer than the lesser quality aftermarket equivalent).

There is no industry standard in terms of pricing. The cost of supplying and fitting the same windscreen can go from £145.00 to £600.00 (using the figures quoted above). Autoglass will quote you 600-quid (and probably charge the insurance company the same, but a discount may be applied retrospectively at the end of the billing period/fiscal year). This is not to say 600 is the going rate. A local one-man-band might offer you the same screen for considerably less, or a larger independent (benefiting from bulk-buy discounts) may go even cheaper... as with a lot of businesses, there will always be someone who beats the cheapest quote.
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    takman
    Stay with the same insurer, to compare premiums after claiming for a windscreen. Many will state there is no impact on NCD, but the 'rising cost of insurance' will take all factors into consideration. Even unclaimed losses.
    The only time I have stayed with the same insurer after claiming for a windscreen was a few years ago when I was with Admiral because they were cheapest on comparison sites. They were also cheaper than the previous year after haggling, but I wouldn't say this conclusively means that claiming for a windscreen won't increase premiums in all scenarios.
    • Glassman
    • By Glassman 19th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Glassman
    The only time I have stayed with the same insurer after claiming for a windscreen was a few years ago when I was with Admiral because they were cheapest on comparison sites. They were also cheaper than the previous year after haggling, but I wouldn't say this conclusively means that claiming for a windscreen won't increase premiums in all scenarios.
    Perhaps not, but you say you did have to haggle to get a cheaper quote.

Insurers are now also asking for disclosure of previous windscreen claims.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,010Posts Today

6,713Users online

Martin's Twitter