Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 16th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 170Posts
    • 147Thanks
    chrisw99
    spam texts from HSBC
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    spam texts from HSBC 16th Jun 17 at 10:48 AM
    Just had two texts from HSBCUKODAlt..

ACCT ****7579 16 Jun 10:34 One or more payments have been declined due to insufficient balance in your account.

And then another

ACCT ****7579 16 Jun 10:34 Some of todays Direct Debits may be reversed/not paid unless there is sufficient balance by 3.30pm.

My HSBC account doesn't end 7579. I've checked my account and it's absolutely fine, loads of balance in there.

So I'm guessing this is SPAM, but if so, what's the point, it's not asking me to do anything or call any numbers.

Or a mistake from HSBC and they've sent me a text intended for someone else.

Anyone else get these?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 31,370 Posts
    • 37,067 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3401193/Beware-text-messages-purporting-bank.html

Beware text messages 'from your bank': Fraud fighters warn of sharp rise in bogus texts asking customers for account details
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 31,370 Posts
    • 37,067 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/money-tips/hsbc-text-scam-the-warning-message-aimed-at-defrauding-you-11364179543989

HSBC customers are being targeted by scammers using a text message trick to drain victims' bank accounts.
    The scam starts with a text message from "HSBC." (note the full stop at the end) and warns the bank has “detected unusual login attempts on your account.”
    Users are then prompted to click on a link to “verify account to avoid suspension
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 16th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    chrisw99
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    Yes, but neither of those texts are asking me to click links, ring numbers, or anything like that, so if they are scams, what's the point?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 31,370 Posts
    • 37,067 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    possible call down the line from their "fraud dept"

or its a genuine mess up by their systems
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    alanq
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    A telco foul up like this one?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/three-mobile-down-red-faced-12930393
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 16th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    chrisw99
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    possible call down the line from their "fraud dept"

or its a genuine mess up by their systems
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Yeah, I'm now expecting some kind of call from my "bank" soon. If so, I'll play along with them for a bit to waste their time.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    Yeah, I'm now expecting some kind of call from my "bank" soon. If so, I'll play along with them for a bit to waste their time.
    Originally posted by chrisw99

...but they have quoted an account no. that isn't yours - sounds far more likely that they have an incorrect mobile number for the account holder - I know that some people just input random numbers when faced by a demand for a mobile no.
    My original bank ask me every time for a mobile number ...and every time I refuse because the mobile signal at my home address is very flakey, but some banks now require some sort of number to even set up an account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,607Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin