Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 9
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 18th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10,826 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    DUTR
    [QUOTE=Aced2016;72715910]

You ovbiously did enough to read and reply. The original poster asked for opinions, which is what she got.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Your post wasn't an opinion to the OP though, it was a slate on someone who has a different view to you.
    As others had pointed out, had the child met some injury on the way during or on return from the loo, then the TA or school would have been held accountable. As mentioned the past cannot be changed and the world does not revolve around the OP's child for everybody else.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 18th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 6,129 Posts
    • 11,069 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    You will have some who will agree with you Vicky ! However I can only assume they are not parents !

As a parent the thought of your 6 year old, sitting for two hours would infuriate you. So I'm guessing the above are also childless. But I stand by what I said earlier your in the wrong profession with your attitude !
    Originally posted by Aced2016
    Oh right so because I'm severely disabled and unable to reproduce naturally (we're waiting on a surrogate) I'm not allowed an opinion on what goes on in schools?

As I said in my school in 1990 the toilet doors were all locked and you were expected to use the toilets beside the offices (where the head teacher would clock who was wandering). No one wet themselves after P1, everyone knew to go during breaks and lunch, no parents complained and life went on.

Poor teachers can't do right for doing wrong these days, no one seems willing to back up the school when their child can't follow basic instructions.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Did she wear a dress? Because if she did, how do you know she didn't wet herself? Her knickers might have been totally soaked, but as you say, why would you care!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    If she had peed herself I'm sure her mum would have complained.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 18th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    The vast majority of six years manage to not go to the toilet during the night, don't they?

Teenagers use it as an excuse to get out of class - those who actually have a medical condition get issued a toilet pass and girls are allowed when *necessary*, but in the majority of cases, it's simply a means to be somewhere they shouldn't/get up to something they shouldn't without supervision.

The Offspring never seemed to need toilet facilities during lessons when they were moved to the block with what were rumoured to be 'haunted' toilets, nor did any of their class - their teachers remarked on how thirty kids instantly gained absolute bladder control once they weren't using the nice, non-haunted ones. They'd use the nicer toilets during break and lunch without problems.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    A hormone called antidiuretic hormone stops the kidneys making much urine during sleep so unless you want them to sleep through lessons it isn't really relevant that they don't need the loo during the night.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    A hormone called antidiuretic hormone stops the kidneys making much urine during sleep so unless you want them to sleep through lessons it isn't really relevant that they don't need the loo during the night.
    Originally posted by thepurplepixie
    Never mind the kids not getting up to go at night, most don't leave to use the toilet when thy are excited though or playing video games for hours, but people think it is wrong for a teacher to make a child cross their legs for a couple of hours at the most. They should go at break or hold it in.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 18th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Never mind the kids not getting up to go at night, most don't leave to use the toilet when thy are excited though or playing video games for hours, but people think it is wrong for a teacher to make a child cross their legs for a couple of hours at the most. They should go at break or hold it in.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    Isn't it past your bedtime?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    glentoran99
    The vast majority of six years manage to not go to the toilet during the night, don't they?

Teenagers use it as an excuse to get out of class - those who actually have a medical condition get issued a toilet pass and girls are allowed when *necessary*, but in the majority of cases, it's simply a means to be somewhere they shouldn't/get up to something they shouldn't without supervision.

The Offspring never seemed to need toilet facilities during lessons when they were moved to the block with what were rumoured to be 'haunted' toilets, nor did any of their class - their teachers remarked on how thirty kids instantly gained absolute bladder control once they weren't using the nice, non-haunted ones. They'd use the nicer toilets during break and lunch without problems.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

You understand the body slows down when you sleep right?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Oh right so because I'm severely disabled and unable to reproduce naturally (we're waiting on a surrogate) I'm not allowed an opinion on what goes on in schools?

As I said in my school in 1990 the toilet doors were all locked and you were expected to use the toilets beside the offices (where the head teacher would clock who was wandering). No one wet themselves after P1, everyone knew to go during breaks and lunch, no parents complained and life went on.

Poor teachers can't do right for doing wrong these days, no one seems willing to back up the school when their child can't follow basic instructions.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    That was 27 years ago, there are lots of things were acceptable 27 years ago that quiet rightly aren't acceptable now
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 18th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 10,826 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    DUTR
    Originally posted by thepurplepixie
    That isn't quite right...... before the days of alarm clocks, people used to drink lots before bedtime if they wanted to wake early, one's body will wake early to wee but not for the other
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 18th Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 6,129 Posts
    • 11,069 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    That was 27 years ago, there are lots of things were acceptable 27 years ago that quiet rightly aren't acceptable now
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I must have been a heck of a precocious child going to school at 3 years old! Doesn't matter either way are you telling me that in 26 years (technically 19 years as I stayed at that school until 1998) children's bladders have changed so much that they now can't hold it for the duration of a lesson and their brains are now so soft they can't remember to go to the toilet in breaks and lunch times?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 10:14 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    I must have been a heck of a precocious child going to school at 3 years old! Doesn't matter either way are you telling me that in 26 years (technically 19 years as I stayed at that school until 1998) children's bladders have changed so much that they now can't hold it for the duration of a lesson and their brains are now so soft they can't remember to go to the toilet in breaks and lunch times?
    Fully agree I teach and have always said the same, no during lessons remember to go at break or hold it in.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    The parents who complain that their darling children have to wait for a wee until break time would no doubt complain that their child is behind with work if they spent all the time in the toilets.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 18th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Ffs this is getting boring, read past posts of other people's personal experience including mine, sometimes you can't go then suddenly you do.
    • notisis
    • By notisis 18th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    notisis
    Except when I recalling similar happening with my 6 year old brother many years ago. He couldn't go at lunch (tried but nothing came out) and really needed to go after lunch. The teacher refused and he wet himself. Same school that force fed him items of food my parents had already said he will not eat and he then threw up and got punished for. He was 6 fgs and I was 10 at the time and remember what a bully the teachers and dinner ladies were. Mainly at that school because we "came from London".

For crying out loud a little common sense ... if a child is not in the habit of usually needing the loo and then asks, then they need it! They are not messing around. Unfortunately (and I do say this having known and still knowing some teachers) is they believe they are right all the time including still telling pupils Sydney is the capital of Australia for example and this regardless of them being 60 or 27. There are some decent teachers and teaching assistants around but they appear to be outweighed, at least locally, by the bad.

If you as a parent think there is a problem, complain. Go with your gut instinct.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 19th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Sicard
    There's also other reasons why some kids have weaker bladders than others, either physical or psychological. I've looked after psychologically damaged children who do find it harder to control their bladders and will not want to pee then half an hour later can barely contain themselves and have to rush to the loo. My late mother always had a weak bladder but because she was abused by a 'nice Uncle Joe' as a child I didn't know if it was a physically induced problem or psychological.

If a child has a stressful home life or is being abused (and yes it still happens) the parent is very unlikely to produce a note to the school explaining why the child may have a bladder problem.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    glentoran99

Perhaps if you went you would have been able to concentrate and learn to count, this is 2017, 27 years ago was 1990

Its not about not being able to hold it, most children can, its been told you aren't allowed to go when you need to go. Next time you need to pee see if you can hold it for two hours from then and see how you feel
    • Judymumto3
    • By Judymumto3 19th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Judymumto3
    When I was about 9 I had a teacher who was notorious and never let children go to the toilet no matter how desperate even though it was in the classroom. I cannot believe it is still happening, Vicky if that had been my little girl who you had made wait all afternoon I would be instructing her to urinate in your classroom next time. Disgusting from a yr 2 teacher
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 15,606 Posts
    • 39,072 Thanks
    FBaby
    If she had peed herself I'm sure her mum would have complained.
    So you acknowledge you were lucky. You might not be eternally.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 19th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,619 Thanks
    Mojisola
    The parents who complain that their darling children have to wait for a wee until break time would no doubt complain that their child is behind with work if they spent all the time in the toilets.
    How did we get from allowing a child to go to the toilet once to her 'spending all her time in toilets"?
    • jondav
    • By jondav 19th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    jondav
    Wow, after reading this thread I can clearly see why no-one wants to get into teaching anymore!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

3,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin