Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 7
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 18th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sicard
    It's a windup. No teacher with this draconian mindset would be allowed to teach little ones in a decent school. They'd make much more money being strict to male MPs.

Or maybe it's not a decent school.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glentoran99
    It was the TA in the OP post who has made a child wait 2 hours, what I said was the longest they have to go without a loo break is 2 hours in the afternoon in my class, they would only have to wait 2 hours if they had not gone at lunch, and to need it coming in from lunch, they must have needed it at lunch.

Actually as they are coming in from lunch I have no problem them nipping to the toilet as there is a boys and girls toilets directly next to my classroom. I let a boy go as he was coming in from lunch earlier this week, but as soon as the class is settled that is it No one goes to the toilet until next break or the end of the day.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor

absolute nonsense, do you need to go to the toilet 10 mins before you need to go?
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    absolute nonsense, do you need to go to the toilet 10 mins before you need to go?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Well if the children had no urge just 10 minutes before they are not then going to be on the verge of wetting themselves and unable to wait
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 18th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Aced2016
    Well if the children had no urge just 10 minutes before they are not then going to be on the verge of wetting themselves and unable to wait
    Perhaps your in the wrong profession if it's a power trip you like ! I genuinely would go through you if you treated my young child this way !!
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Perhaps your in the wrong profession if it's a power trip you like ! I genuinely would go through you if you treated my young child this way !!
    Originally posted by Aced2016
    No not on a power trip I just believe children should use the toilet at break.

Can I just say to those painting me out to be some kind of monster that if a child was bouncing up and down in their chair as the OP suggested I would make an exception, but make it clear next time go at break because I will stick to my no
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glentoran99
    No not on a power trip I just believe children should use the toilet at break.

Can I just say to those painting me out to be some kind of monster that if a child was bouncing up and down in their chair as the OP suggested I would make an exception, but make it clear next time go at break because I will stick to my no
    what if they are jumping up and down next time?
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    what if they are jumping up and down next time?
    I would make them wait as said in the previous post, keeping an eye on them I would probably let them go after 15-20 minutes just to hammer it home that they should go at break. No child is going to get much work done if they are unable to sit still.

Although I have never had a child so desperate they are bouncing up down in their chair. I have not allowed a child out to the toilet during lesson time yet this year, no one has wet themselves.
    Last edited by Vickytaylor; 18-06-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I would make them wait as said in the previous post, keeping an eye on them I would probably let them go after 15-20 minutes just to hammer it home that they should go at break. No child is going to get much work done if they are unable to sit still.
    Your gradually getting it from your "teach them a lesson" posts from yesterday, Much more in tune with reality and less like trolling for a reaction as it seemed
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Your gradually getting it from your "teach them a lesson" posts from yesterday, Much more in tune with reality and less like trolling for a reaction as it seemed

If I thought a child was going to wee in my classroom I would let them go, I don't want to have to mop a puddle up, or if they have a note regarding a medical issue they can go. Other than that it is a no
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 18th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    cjdavies
    You must be the most stupid teacher I ever come across, seems they they allow anyone these days.

I'm going for troll on these posts, well done.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 18th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 10,973 Posts
    • 14,302 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I'm not a parent, but I'm married to a nurse so this caught my attention:

I'm sorry but unless the girl has a medical problem she should not be going in lesson time. I teach year 2 and never allow toilet breaks, they manage perfectly fine.
    Not going to the loo when you need can lead to physical damage to that area of the body, specifically bladder muscle weakening.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 18th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 10,973 Posts
    • 14,302 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Should you really be a teacher? Perhaps you're better suited as a boot camp instructor.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    No, as my dad would have said, she sounds more like she was sacked from the Gestapo for cruelty
    Married to an immigrant.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 18th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 10,973 Posts
    • 14,302 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Well I did say earlier in the thread that I have never had anyone complain about me not letting their child go to the loo in class time, Most children go at break so they won't be desperate during my lessons.
    Or is that because the parents are scared of you?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    As I said earlier if I can see they really cannot wait I will allow it I don't want to have to mop a puddle up.

Last year I covered for a year 6 teacher one day. A girl asked if she could use the loo first thing in the morning, I said no she should have gone before school and would have to wait until morning break, however after about an hour and half I could see she was not going to be able to wait another 20 minutes until break an let her go. Like I said I will make exceptions for emergencies.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glentoran99
    As I said earlier if I can see they really cannot wait I will allow it I don't want to have to mop a puddle up.

Last year I covered for a year 6 teacher one day. A girl asked if she could use the loo first thing in the morning, I said no she should have gone before school and would have to wait until morning break, however after about an hour and half I could see she was not going to be able to wait another 20 minutes until break an let her go. Like I said I will make exceptions for emergencies.

So not what you said yesterday then?

if they don't take that chance then it is tough luck

I teach year 2 and never allow toilet breaks, .
    Last edited by glentoran99; 18-06-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Oh I still agree it is tough luck if a child is desperate after they could have gone. But the girl was not one of my regular pupils as I was covering. I only let her go because she was unable to walk straight when I asked the class to move to the other side of side if the room
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 18th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    I asked my daughter about this, she's currently in year 6 and she said that they are expected to go to the loo at break and generally they wouldn't be allowed to go during a lesson.
    If you don't teach children to go at break time you'd have a steady stream of children going to the loo during lesson time. Very disruptive to the class & you will have children who take advantage & use it as a way of getting out of something they don't want to do.
    You'll then also need staff to keep an eye on what's going on in the toilets.

Obviously there will always need to be exceptions to the rule.

Jen
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 3,610 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    That's quite a silly compassion ! A car is a moving vehicle on a road ! And while at school they are able to walk freely to a toilet. And I knew you had no kids ! That's when a piece of paper isn't enough to make you a good teacher !

Because when you ever do have a child, I can assure you you would not let a 6 year old hold her toilet in for 2 hours.
    Originally posted by Aced2016
    I just want to pull you up on this, because I have a friend who is a fantastic primary teacher, completely devoted to the children in her classes, would never dream of treating them like VT does, and she doesn't have any children. Its not a prerequisite to be a good teacher, and I'm sure she'd be really upset if any of the parents at her school thought her childlessness made her a worse teacher. Especially as she very much wants to have children but hasn't been able to yet.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 18th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Before Christmas we had an afternoon long celebration assembly. All the children are sent to the loo before, On the walk to the hall a girl then said she really badly needed the toilet, in this case I believe that was too bad and denied her request, she could have wet herself during assembly for all I cared. She didn't though she waited.
    Could not have not needed it that badly
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 3,610 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

This shows the pointlessness of your policy.

That girl clearly needed to go. That hour and a half where she was holding it in was probably completely wasted teaching time because she won't have been able to concentrate properly, and in the end you still had to put up with the terrible disruption caused by her nipping to the loo! You achieved nothing, all you did was make a little girl suffer for absolutely no reason.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin