Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 5
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    You're wrong though. Maybe you could educate yourself with this:

Page 21 would be great. It might be Australian, but don't think children are any different there.

I agree that being strict is good practice, but your seemingly lack of understanding of child development yet thinking you know better is not comforting.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    But a child has never wet themselves when I have made them wait until break time.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Maybe the TA was under instructions to say no from the teacher or school.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    But a child has never wet themselves when I have made them wait until break time.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    Did you read that leaflet?

Holding it can cause actual physical harm.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Did you read that leaflet?

Holding it can cause actual physical harm.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    They are not holding it if they use the toilet at break times though
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Well obviously.

But if, for whatever reason, they forget to use the loo at break time and then you expect them to hold it for two hours, you are harming that child.

Causing harm to a 6 year old is not justified by the fact that the 6 year old forgot to go to the toilet at break time.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Well obviously.

But if, for whatever reason, they forget to use the loo at break time and then you expect them to hold it for two hours, you are harming that child.

Causing harm to a 6 year old is not justified by the fact that the 6 year old forgot to go to the toilet at break time.
    The urge to wee does not just suddenly come on so it is unlikely they have to wait two hours, , if they need the toilet straight after lunch and break they could have gone at lunch and that is their problem not mine.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    The urge to wee does not just suddenly come on so it is unlikely they have to wait two hours, , if they need the toilet straight after lunch and break they could have gone at lunch and that is their problem not mine.
    They are 6 and you are their teacher!

Please, seriously, just read that resource!

You are wrong here, everybody is wrong sometimes, its ok to be wrong. Its not ok to find out that you are wrong and stubbornly refuse to change the way you do things even after you realise its harmful.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    glentoran99

are you for real? You have to be on a wind up now
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    I have been teaching 4 years and had the same rules, no accidents and no parent has ever said I have caused harm to their child because they held it in for a lesson or two. Until this happens I will be sticking to my no toilet rule
    • f.o.d.
    • By f.o.d. 17th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    f.o.d.
    Actually (in my case, and I'm sure I'm not alone) the urge to wee DOES come on suddenly.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    glentoran99
    https://www.eric.org.uk/toileting-best-practice-at-school

Banning toilet breaks during lessons can also create continence problems when children are forced to hold on or stop drinking and/or eating to avoid the urge to use the toilet. What’s more, stopping drinking can lead to dehydration which can affect their concentration and energy levels, which impacts on their ability to achieve academically, and holding back the urge to urinate can result in children being distracted and unable to focus on their studies. This is the case for younger and older children.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I have been teaching 4 years and had the same rules, no accidents and no parent has ever said I have caused harm to their child because they held it in for a lesson or two. Until this happens I will be sticking to my no toilet rule
    A teacher who refuses to learn.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    glentoran99

4 years, must make you an expert then.....
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    A teacher who refuses to learn.
    I don't refuse to learn, but I have no reason to change my policy because it has not caused any problems
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Actually (in my case, and I'm sure I'm not alone) the urge to wee DOES come on suddenly.
    Originally posted by f.o.d.
    And if it does come on suddenly that does not mean they are are unable to hold it in until after lesson
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 17th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 15,509 Posts
    • 38,878 Thanks
    FBaby
    So you didn't bother to read the leaflet, the part that responds specifically to the question 'why is it that when you ask a child to wait for a break to use the toilet, when they return from the break, they suddenly need to go to the toilet again'

You are clearly not one bit interested in the welfare of the child, just to make sure that they don't disturb you ways. Thank God you never taught my children because I can assure you that you would have had a child wetting himself weekly if not daily with your attitude.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    So you didn't bother to read the leaflet, the part that responds specifically to the question 'why is it that when you ask a child to wait for a break to use the toilet, when they return from the break, they suddenly need to go to the toilet again'

You are clearly not one bit interested in the welfare of the child, just to make sure that they don't disturb you ways. Thank God you never taught my children because I can assure you that you would have had a child wetting himself weekly if not daily with your attitude.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Your child would learn to go during break times if he was in my class.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 17th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Sometimes though you just can't go e.g. break time, then you need too e.g. during lesson.

For me it was driving long distance, services - post 23.

there are no words.

The urge to wee does not just suddenly come on
    And if it does come on suddenly that does not mean they are are unable to hold it in until after lesson
    Wrong, it does this is me from own personal experience. Are you are a teacher?
    Last edited by cjdavies; 17-06-2017 at 6:54 PM.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Yes I am a teacher and I believe children should go to the toilet during breaks and not in lesson time
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 17th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 15,509 Posts
    • 38,878 Thanks
    FBaby
    Your child would learn to go during break times if he was in my class.
    Oh really, and how would you teach him that? Do you also suggest that toddlers should stop wetting the bed before they are 2yo? And what do you suggest should be the punishment if they don't.

I can only assume that you are having fun posting on this thread because I cannot believe that with the attitude you portray here, you've never had one dissatisfied parent. You sound like a bully.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,904Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin