Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 3
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 17th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Sicard
    OP is there a reason why your little girl did not go at lunch time? She was not bursting if she held on two hours, let this be a lesson for her, go at break or she holds her wee she will soon remember
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    As a teacher I cannot leave the children alone to go and have a wee, I go at break. So they children in my class have the same rules
    Should you really be a teacher? Perhaps you're better suited as a boot camp instructor.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Should you really be a teacher? Perhaps you're better suited as a boot camp instructor.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    All of the children like me, that is because I am strict and stick to the rules. Children respect teachers a lot more when they are strict.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    I'm wondering how the 6 year old knew it was 5 minutes after lunch time, I'm also wondering how they held it for 2 hours. Obviously the childs story will be completely true, no need to verify anything. 6 year olds never get facts wrong or exaggerate. I bet the school just adore teaching pupils whose parents come down over every little "might of been" incident.

Personally I'd have hated it if my parents had ever gone into school complaining, my kids felt the same. School helps you grow up IF your parents allow it. Child held on, nothing happened. Get over it. Also maybe show a bit of support for the teachers and TA's who have an unbelievably difficult job and in the main do it really well. They get kids deposited at school who can't talk and are just plonked in front of a screen at home to shut them up and given everything they cry for. How on earth do you start teaching?
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    You also have to take into account that this was the TA, had she let a child go you can guarantee it would have been the start of several "Can I go to the toilet Miss"

As a teacher I never get a loo request during a P.E lesson, not that I would let them go, but get several during maths or the more difficult work. At the start of term I always get more requests and children claiming they are about to wee in their seat and they are desperate but once they realise I won't let them go, the requests slowly diminish. At this stage in the year I hardly get anyone asking to go as they know it is futile.
    • G4.
    • By G4. 17th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    G4.
    All of the children like me
    Of COURSE they do

We all loved our teachers in school didn't we. Especially the petty draconian ones!
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Of COURSE they do

We all loved our teachers in school didn't we. Especially the petty draconian ones!
    Originally posted by G4.
    What I was trying to say was that they do not think I am a mean, cruel women just because I don't let them out to the toilet during lesson time.

I wouldn't say the draconian the longest they have to go without the opportunity to go to the toilet is 2 hours in the afternoon, that is after an hour's lunch if they don't take that chance then it is tough luck
    Last edited by Vickytaylor; 17-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    • G4.
    • By G4. 17th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    G4.
    What I was trying to say was that they do not think I am a mean, cruel women just because I don't let them out to the toilet during lesson time.
    Just out of interest, how old are the pupils and why do you get pleasure from denying someone the right to go to the lavatory when they need to?
    • Kmariposa
    • By Kmariposa 17th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kmariposa
    I couldn't have held on that long at that age! I remember desperately trying to hold on because I knew we were supposed to go at breaktimes so I was scared to ask but as soon as a teacher realised then they'd let me go!

I'm a TA and I would almost always not allow a child to go to the toilet 5 mins after a breaktime. However, I'd let them go half an hour later. Although, I've told a child to wait 15 mins before then reminded them an hour later that they'd asked to go and and they say they don't need it anymore and they forgot!! If I can see that a child is desperate then I'll always let them go, they're not going to be able to concentrate on anything with a full bladder!

If I were you then I'd just have a quick word with the teacher, not making a big fuss but just so as the teacher is aware and it doesn't happen again. Of course, encourage your daughter to go at breaktimes but if there isn't an afternoon break then that's a long time to wait.
    • Kmariposa
    • By Kmariposa 17th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kmariposa
    Maybe next time, after waiting a while then your daughter should say "Miss, I think I'm going to wet myself now!" I imagine they'd rather she went then deal with a urine puddle in class! ��
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Just out of interest, how old are the pupils and why do you get pleasure from denying someone the right to go to the lavatory when they need to?
    Originally posted by G4.
    They are 6 and 7, and don't be so ridiculous of course I dont get pleasure out denying them the toilet, but you cannot have a productive lesson if kids are in the loos, so the rules are go in between lessons unless it is a medical issue, simple.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 17th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    warehouse
    Unfortunately 6 year olds can exaggerate, and then some. Speak to the school, get the full story and then decide what you want to do.
    Pants
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99
    As a teacher I cannot leave the children alone to go and have a wee, I go at break. So they children in my class have the same rules

Your an Adult, you aren't 6.

I specifically phrased it like that, its a saying, "to be taught a lesson" its not about teaching sessions in a classroom, Your willing to "teach them a lesson" by letting them struggle to hold it in or pee themselves

You mention medical issue, What if its undiagnosed? My child needs to pee about 30 mins after drinking, this isn't a medical issue, You would let him pee himself?
    Last edited by glentoran99; 17-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Originally posted by G4.

Year two children shes pathetic
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99

I wouldn't say the draconian the longest they have to go without the opportunity to go to the toilet is 2 hours in the afternoon, that is after an hour's lunch if they don't take that chance then it is tough luck

2 hours is unreasonable to expect a 6 year old to hold it, especially considering chances are they have had a drink at the breaktime

A 6 year old child bladder capacity is only 9oz
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Your an Adult, you aren't 6.

I specifically phrased it like that, its a saying, "to be taught a lesson" its not about teaching sessions in a classroom, Your willing to "teach them a lesson" by letting them struggle to hold it in or pee themselves

You mention medical issue, What if its undiagnosed? My child needs to pee about 30 mins after drinking, this isn't a medical issue, You would let him pee himself?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    If you wrote a note explaining that he needs to go during class, I would let him go
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I couldn't have held on that long at that age! I remember desperately trying to hold on because I knew we were supposed to go at breaktimes so I was scared to ask but as soon as a teacher realised then they'd let me go!

I'm a TA and I would almost always not allow a child to go to the toilet 5 mins after a breaktime. However, I'd let them go half an hour later. Although, I've told a child to wait 15 mins before then reminded them an hour later that they'd asked to go and and they say they don't need it anymore and they forgot!! If I can see that a child is desperate then I'll always let them go, they're not going to be able to concentrate on anything with a full bladder!

If I were you then I'd just have a quick word with the teacher, not making a big fuss but just so as the teacher is aware and it doesn't happen again. Of course, encourage your daughter to go at breaktimes but if there isn't an afternoon break then that's a long time to wait.
    Originally posted by Kmariposa

that's the correct way of dealing with it rather than outright refusal as the aul witch teacher above
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    2 hours is unreasonable to expect a 6 year old to hold it, especially considering chances are they have had a drink at the breaktime

A 6 year old child bladder capacity is only 9oz
    Well like I say I have never had a child wet themselves in my class
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99
    If you wrote a note explaining that he needs to go during class, I would let him go

He wouldn't be in your class
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 17th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    He wouldn't be in your class
    Well I did say earlier in the thread that I have never had anyone complain about me not letting their child go to the loo in class time, Most children go at break so they won't be desperate during my lessons.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 17th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Last year when my daughter was in Y3, she came out of school in her PE kit. Not expecting this, I asked why and she said it was late in the afternoon lesson (they don't get a break in KS2 after lunch) and she really needed to go. She approached the teacher who was having a conversation with another member of staff, so not wanting to interrupt she politely waited. By the time they had finished, she just couldn't hang on anymore and as she asked to go she began to wet herself. Luckily she managed to stop the flow and she burst into tears as she ran to the toilets. She was mortified that at 8 she had wet herself in front of the class.

Luckily she is a well respected and popular member of the class and nobody took the "pee" out of her. I had forgotten about the incident until now.
    Last edited by CuppaTea; 17-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin