Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 13
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    I had a word with the teacher, she assured me it would not happen again but that she did tell the TA to refuse the loo in lesson time as recently there has been a lot of messing around in the toilets and didn't want children to take advantage of the TA. My daughter was one of the ones messing around.
    Originally posted by kellbanks
    Sounds to me like it was of her own doing then,sitting with her legs crossed bursting is what she deserved to be honest, if I was the teacher she wouldn't be going again and nor would any of the class if they had been messing about.
    Last edited by Vickytaylor; 19-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Your policy Vicky is ridiculuous and I can assure you sooner or later a child will wee themselves when you so no or you make a child ill, maybe then you will let children go for a wee when they need one
    I will take my chances as it has not happened in the 4 years
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 19th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 2,100 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Sounds to me like it was of her own doing then,sitting with her legs crossed bursting is what she deserved to be honest, if I was the teacher she wouldn't be going again and nor would any of the class if they had been messing about.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    Do us a favour troll and !!!! OFF
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 19th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 15,417 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I know that this is the internet, but would any teacher really write such a badly constructed paragraph?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 20th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Y'know it's not even her policy of refusing, ridiculous as it is, it's the attitude if a 6 year old doesn't go at break. Yes ideally they should go at break times, however the world isn't ideal and everyone is different

'Tough'
    'Hard luck'
    'They can suffer'
    'They will learn'
    'For all I care'
    'What she deserved'

They aren't the qualities of someone that should be teaching children
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    I do think people are being a bit unfair on Vicky, she has said that no child has wet themselves.

I teach year 4 but I am currently on maternity leave. At my school it is policy that children are not allowed to visit the toilet during lessons, why I don't necessarily agree with the policy, I have no choice but to refuse when children ask.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 20th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 10,965 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    So the OPs child has no health problems, is known to be an upstart who causes trouble in the toilets during class times and the teacher thought she was likely to take the mickey out of a TA? OP I'd be having words with your daughter, not the school.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    I had a word with the teacher, she assured me it would not happen again but that she did tell the TA to refuse the loo in lesson time as recently there has been a lot of messing around in the toilets and didn't want children to take advantage of the TA. My daughter was one of the ones messing around.
    TA is not really to blame then if the teacher had given them orders.
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    I do think people are being a bit unfair on Vicky, she has said that no child has wet themselves.

I teach year 4 but I am currently on maternity leave. At my school it is policy that children are not allowed to visit the toilet during lessons, why I don't necessarily agree with the policy, I have no choice but to refuse when children ask.
    Originally posted by murlings
    On a few occasions that I have let children go I have been reprimanded by SMT. I now stick with a rigid no
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 20th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    LMG1305
    No not on a power trip I just believe children should use the toilet at break.

Can I just say to those painting me out to be some kind of monster that if a child was bouncing up and down in their chair as the OP suggested I would make an exception, but make it clear next time go at break because I will stick to my no
    You believe children should use the toilet at break, fine whatever. But what about if the child actually felt unwell but didn't want to say anything? Luckily my primary school teachers were what you would expect a primary school teacher to be, which is kind, compassionate and considerate of each individual child, not a complete dragon like you seem to be! They are the teachers I have fond memories of.

As it happens my 9 year old daughter had a teacher in Year 1 who was a strict teacher. She was well known for being 'scary' and some kids were worried about having her as a teacher. My daughter actually really enjoyed being in her class. But then this teacher, even being strict, did allow toilet breaks, so please don't insult everybody on here by saying you are not on a power trip!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 27,603 Posts
    • 70,100 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I had a word with the teacher, she assured me it would not happen again but that she did tell the TA to refuse the loo in lesson time as recently there has been a lot of messing around in the toilets and didn't want children to take advantage of the TA.

My daughter was one of the ones messing around.
    So that's been a lesson for her that there are repercussions for bad behaviour. I expect you've told her what you think of her messing around.

From the other side, I was a school governor for many years and I'd be concerned if we had been leaving someone in charge of a class for a whole day whose management skills weren't up to the job.

It's okay for TAs to step in for the teacher for shorter periods of time but they aren't trained (or paid enough!) to expect them to take a teacher's place for the whole day.
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 20th Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kellbanks
    Oh yes I have explained to the teacher that if she misbehaves in the loos again then by all means make her wait.
    I have also explained to my daughter that she will lose her toilet privileges if she cannot be sensible enough to go during lesson without causing a disturbance, and I will not be going in to see the teacher.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 20th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 38,856 Thanks
    FBaby
    They are not a big deal in my class, the children don't go it is as simple as that, they are not a disruption because they are not allowed to go and should go at break time..
    What is shocking is your inanity to self reflect small you care about are your rigid views. You've ignored medical advice as you've ignored posters telling you about their own experience.

The irony is that trying to justify your principles you are not even aware of your contradictions undermining yourself! You say that your pupils know better to ask but you then say 3 were asking just yesterday. You say that your response is tough luck but then say you would let them go if they twisting on their seat.

You sound like one of those teachers we have unfortunately all had at the some point, the ego laddened, inflexible, incapable of empathy, self righteous that we all hated and made fun of behind their back. The teachers who end up miserable because no one like them and who despite their principles are never respected.
    Good luck with your career if you are for real!
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    You believe children should use the toilet at break, fine whatever. But what about if the child actually felt unwell but didn't want to say anything? Luckily my primary school teachers were what you would expect a primary school teacher to be, which is kind, compassionate and considerate of each individual child, not a complete dragon like you seem to be! They are the teachers I have fond memories of.

As it happens my 9 year old daughter had a teacher in Year 1 who was a strict teacher. She was well known for being 'scary' and some kids were worried about having her as a teacher. My daughter actually really enjoyed being in her class. But then this teacher, even being strict, did allow toilet breaks, so please don't insult everybody on here by saying you are not on a power trip!
    Originally posted by LMG1305
    Do you believe that every teacher who stops children using the toilet or on a power trip? I am not allowed to let my year 4 class use the toilet.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 20th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 10,284 Posts
    • 21,238 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Wow what are the chances!

Two 'teachers' have signed up to MSE just to comment on this.

The power of MSE
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Do you believe that every teacher who stops children using the toilet or on a power trip? I am not allowed to let my year 4 class use the toilet.
    Teachers are well qualified professionals, surely you have a bit of autonomy to decide how you run your own classroom?

Maybe you need to show the higher ups at your school the leaflet that was linked to earlier about the importance of allowing children to use the toilet when they need to. Maybe you could ask a continence nurse to come and do a training day if possible?
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    Teachers are well qualified professionals, surely you have a bit of autonomy to decide how you run your own classroom?

Maybe you need to show the higher ups at your school the leaflet that was linked to earlier about the importance of allowing children to use the toilet when they need to. Maybe you could ask a continence nurse to come and do a training day if possible?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    As I said earlier when I have allowed a child to go I was given a ticking off by SMT
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    As I said earlier when I have allowed a child to go I was given a ticking off by SMT
    Yes, I read it, my post was in response to that statement. Repeating yourself doesn't actually answer my questions.
    • murlings
    • By murlings 20th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    murlings
    Yes, I read it, my post was in response to that statement. Repeating yourself doesn't actually answer my questions.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Don't get me wrong I will let children go if they are desperate and am willing to take flack from higher up. but it is a general no as that is policy.

Other teachers in the school are more like Vicky and it is a no, end of. I personally believe if a child is desperate they should be allowed to go but I have to follow policy.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Don't get me wrong I will let children go if they are desperate and am willing to take flack from higher up. but it is a general no as that is policy.

Other teachers in the school are more like Vicky and it is a no, end of. I personally believe if a child is desperate they should be allowed to go but I have to follow policy.
    What about the suggestions I made?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

447Posts Today

4,294Users online

Martin's Twitter