Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 12
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 19th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    Hey OP - What happened today when you challenged the regular teacher?
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 19th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Haylescom
    I'm a primary school teacher, have been for 11 years across different ages. I always try and remember that in KS1 you have children with different mind sets; some who ask to go to the toilet if they need to but not on a regular basis, those who ask to go all the time because they don't actually empty their bladder properly, those who use it as a distraction to get out of lessons, those who are too busy playing to realise they need to go until the very last minute, and others.

Whilst it's frustrating when a child asks to use the toilet during lessons, I've very rarely not let children go. This has only been with the children you know are using it as a tactic to get out of the lesson (I've sometimes found a chat with mum or dad useful to say their child is asking to go to the toilet an awful lot and may need to go to the doctors). I would never want one to hold it for so long they ended up in pain or with a water infection. I always remind them that they should try and go at break or lunch, but how many that age have any awareness of when their break is almost over? The interruptions are minimal and the child is never gone for long. Alternatively I ask if they can wait until we are going to our group activities; half an hour at most.

I also have children (currently foundation stage) who need reminders to use the toilet at regular intervals to prevent accidents.

Surely, Vicky, as a year 2 teacher, your whole class input is no longer than 30 minutes at a time, and letting them go to the toilet during their table activities is of no detrement to their education?

As an aside, my school has been 3 teachers short for 2 years. In the past 4 years of my career we have lost 3 teachers who all quit the profession completely, and were all in their first 3 years of teaching. We may train more staff than we have before but they don't all stick with it, a number move abroad and we're not keeping up with a growing population. Primary schools are already struggling and the secondaries will be hit soon too.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    I'm a primary school teacher, have been for 11 years across different ages. I always try and remember that in KS1 you have children with different mind sets; some who ask to go to the toilet if they need to but not on a regular basis, those who ask to go all the time because they don't actually empty their bladder properly, those who use it as a distraction to get out of lessons, those who are too busy playing to realise they need to go until the very last minute, and others.

Whilst it's frustrating when a child asks to use the toilet during lessons, I've very rarely not let children go. This has only been with the children you know are using it as a tactic to get out of the lesson (I've sometimes found a chat with mum or dad useful to say their child is asking to go to the toilet an awful lot and may need to go to the doctors). I would never want one to hold it for so long they ended up in pain or with a water infection. I always remind them that they should try and go at break or lunch, but how many that age have any awareness of when their break is almost over? The interruptions are minimal and the child is never gone for long. Alternatively I ask if they can wait until we are going to our group activities; half an hour at most.

I also have children (currently foundation stage) who need reminders to use the toilet at regular intervals to prevent accidents.

Surely, Vicky, as a year 2 teacher, your whole class input is no longer than 30 minutes at a time, and letting them go to the toilet during their table activities is of no detrement to their education?

As an aside, my school has been 3 teachers short for 2 years. In the past 4 years of my career we have lost 3 teachers who all quit the profession completely, and were all in their first 3 years of teaching. We may train more staff than we have before but they don't all stick with it, a number move abroad and we're not keeping up with a growing population. Primary schools are already struggling and the secondaries will be hit soon too.
    Originally posted by Haylescom
    It is not about the detriment to their education it is about how they should go at break and lunch not in lesson times.
    As soon as you let one go you get a queue. Easier to just say no, if they have no medical condition they can wait.
    Last edited by Vickytaylor; 19-06-2017 at 8:54 PM.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 15,500 Posts
    • 38,856 Thanks
    FBaby
    That is the point though I have never had any complaints of unreasonableness, I made 5 children wait this afternoon during P.E, they should have gone before the lesson, but they did not wee themselves or suffer.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    That's probably because the parents of year 1pupils who are not able to hold it for hours beg the HT not to assign them to your class in year 2!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 15,500 Posts
    • 38,856 Thanks
    FBaby
    It is not about the detriment to their education it is about how they should go at break and lunch not in lesson times.
    As soon as you let one go you get a queue. Easier to just say no, if they have no medical condition they can wait.
    It's not about this at all as other teachers have no issue with it. It's about you being very self-centred and making it about you and your principles rather than what is right for the children you teach.
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 19th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Aced2016
    I genuinely think there is more chance of unicorns being real, than Vicky being a teacher !!!!
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 19th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Haylescom
    I can't say I ever get a queue. One of my boys asks to use the toilet within 20 minutes of starting the day; no one else asks to go as well. If one asks gor a drink? Yes they all want one, but not the toilet.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    I can't say I ever get a queue. One of my boys asks to use the toilet within 20 minutes of starting the day; no one else asks to go as well. If one asks gor a drink? Yes they all want one, but not the toilet.
    Why does that boy ask 20 minutes in though, because it has not been drilled in to him that he should go outside of lessons. If he was in my class he would soon remember to go before school, or he would be holding it until playtime every day
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Why does that boy ask 20 minutes in though, because it has not been drilled in to him that he should go outside of lessons. If he was in my class he would soon remember to go before school, or he would be holding it until playtime every day

Why? Give one good reason? You've already admitted above it has no adverse affects on education or disrupts the class

Its not school policy which you have also admitted?
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 19th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Haylescom
    Maybe because he's four years old? Maybe because he doesn't need to go when he leaves his house? What difference does it make to him, me, or any other children in my class?
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 10,284 Posts
    • 21,236 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I genuinely think there is more chance of unicorns being real, than Vicky being a teacher !!!!
    Originally posted by Aced2016
    Thankfully!!!!
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Maybe because he's four years old? Maybe because he doesn't need to go when he leaves his house? What difference does it make to him, me, or any other children in my class?
    Didn't know he was only 4, I would never refuse a child that age, still think that once they get a little older though they should go at break and lunch
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Why? Give one good reason? You've already admitted above it has no adverse affects on education or disrupts the class

Its not school policy which you have also admitted?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    They get enough chances to use the loo through out the day, and toilet requests do disrupt the class.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Originally posted by Aced2016
    I had a year in year 5 and this is my third year in year 2
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    glentoran99
    They get enough chances to use the loo through out the day, and toilet requests do disrupt the class.

It was pointed out above, which you seemed to agree with that it doesn't disrupt the class

So why the denial?
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 19th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Haylescom
    Toilet breaks only disrupt the class if you make a big deal out of them.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    It was pointed out above, which you seemed to agree with that it doesn't disrupt the class

So why the denial?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I agreed it doesn't interfere with the child's work production, but it still is a disruption to class
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Toilet breaks only disrupt the class if you make a big deal out of them.
    They are not a big deal in my class, the children don't go it is as simple as that, they are not a disruption because they are not allowed to go and should go at break time..
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 19th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kellbanks
    I had a word with the teacher, she assured me it would not happen again but that she did tell the TA to refuse the loo in lesson time as recently there has been a lot of messing around in the toilets and didn't want children to take advantage of the TA. My daughter was one of the ones messing around.
    Last edited by kellbanks; 19-06-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 19th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kellbanks
    Your policy Vicky is ridiculuous and I can assure you sooner or later a child will wee themselves when you so no or you make a child ill, maybe then you will let children go for a wee when they need one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,976Users online

Martin's Twitter