Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellbanks
    • By kellbanks 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    kellbanks
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Teaching assistant wouldn't let daughter go to the toilet 16th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice.

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA took the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Should I speak to her regular teacher
    Last edited by kellbanks; 16-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 10
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Wow, after reading this thread I can clearly see why no-one wants to get into teaching anymore!
    Originally posted by jondav
    What a load of !!!!!!!!, right now there is a surplus of teachers that cant get jobs
    • Judymumto3
    • By Judymumto3 19th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Judymumto3
    I probably shouldn't say this as it may give Vicky ideas but the teacher I had used to lock the door so we couldn't sneak in, she would also look out for desperate children and keep us in at playtime so we couldn't,t go then and had to wait longer
    • jondav
    • By jondav 19th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    What a load of !!!!!!!!, right now there is a surplus of teachers that cant get jobs
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Funny, that's not what all the people in the know are saying.

But wait, you're a 1k plus poster on MSE so you must be right - right?

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Funny, that's not what all the people in the know are saying.

But wait, you're a 1k plus poster on MSE so you must be right - right?

People in the know? How about the department of education?

In June 2016 the NI Department of Education announced that the Investing in the Teaching Workforce programme would run as a pilot in 2016-17. This scheme provides funding so that 120 teachers over the age of 55 can retire, to be replaced by teachers who have qualified since 2012 and been unable to find permanent teaching positions.

What has a post count got to do with anything?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/only-third-of-new-teachers-have-found-a-job-in-northern-ireland-31339116.html

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/teaching-and-education/advice/330631-how-do-you-get-a-teaching-job-in-northern-Ireland

They are actively trying to encourage people over 55 to retire to create openings as their are none
    Last edited by glentoran99; 19-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 19th Jun 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 6,674 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Friend of mine that's a teacher that has just come back from living overseas in the last six months has been massively in demand for both temporary cover positions and then full time. She basically had her pick of full-time secondary school positions.

She's gorgeous and has fabulous bright pink hair (although I think it might be turquoise at the moment - I don't see her that often and struggle to keep up with the ever-changing hues), but I'm pretty sure that's not the reason so many schools wanted her to work for them.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • gingerbread cat
    • By gingerbread cat 19th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    gingerbread cat
    I hope Vicky Taylor is a troll....I still remember wetting myself aged about 9 because the teacher thought I should be able to wait. I was mortified, and drank very little after that. I was eventually dx with chronic kidney failure.

I am an FE teacher, I have 16-18s with challenging behaviour. I'm fine with them popping out to use the loo whenever they need, but I make my sessions as interesting and relevant to them as possible so they don't want to miss out.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 19th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    The parents who complain that their darling children have to wait for a wee until break time would no doubt complain that their child is behind with work if they spent all the time in the toilets.
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    No, if they spent all there time in the toilets i'd be taking them to a GP, however i would be complaining direct to your headteacher about you placing a strain on young kidneys, apparently just because you can.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 19th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    People in the know? How about the department of education?

What has a post count got to do with anything?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/only-third-of-new-teachers-have-found-a-job-in-northern-ireland-31339116.html

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/teaching-and-education/advice/330631-how-do-you-get-a-teaching-job-in-northern-Ireland

They are actively trying to encourage people over 55 to retire to create openings as their are none
    Ah yes, there's the link to the department of education.....not!
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Today 5 minuted into the afternoon P.E lesson I had 3 girls and 2 boys ask to go to the toilet,What was I supposed to do let them all go? No I just told them they should have gone before the lesson and would have to wait until we go back in to change in an hr and 45 mins time, they all managed to hold on.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 38,876 Thanks
    FBaby
    Today 5 minuted into the afternoon P.E lesson I had 3 girls and 2 boys ask to go to the toilet,What was I supposed to do let them all go?
    Ha ha, what happened to'my pupils learn that they can't go during lessons'. 10 months into the year and still so many asking to go at the same time having learnt that you will say no...mmm.... if that's not showing yourself as a troll, not sure what does!
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Ha ha, what happened to'my pupils learn that they can't go during lessons'. 10 months into the year and still so many asking to go at the same time having learnt that you will say no...mmm.... if that's not showing yourself as a troll, not sure what does!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I very rarely do get so many children asking at the same time. The children are told before we go out to P.E to use the toilet,so it was their fault they didn't go . Sometimes I do wonder why a child asks me as they know I will say no, suppose they think I will change my mind.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Only 2 of the girls asked me again but there was only 25 minutes left at that point so just told them I already said no and to wait
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 38,876 Thanks
    FBaby
    Sounds like they pay no attention to what you teach them then. Sometimes when you say no all the time, it loses its impact.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Ah yes, there's the link to the department of education.....not!

Not? Are you living in the 90's?

this do you?

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/articles/investing-teaching-workforce

the tesching workforce programme is to enable teachers to retire to create vacancies
    Last edited by glentoran99; 19-06-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    Sounds like they pay no attention to what you teach them then. Sometimes when you say no all the time, it loses its impact.
    Maybe, still does not mean I'm going to let children go to the toilet during lesson time. Even if I had wanted to let them go today anyway, I couldn't as the toilets are on the other side of the school to where we have P.E. As I said earlier on the thread too bad if they need the loo when they have been given an opportunity to go.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    They were the only children that asked me all day.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Jun 17, 5:14 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 21,305 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    At 6 years old not letting them go to the toilet when they need to is wrong IMO.

When I was that age at school we were allowed to put our hand up and ask and so were my children.

It never caused any disruption to the class.

I also would be having a word with the school about this.
    • Vickytaylor
    • By Vickytaylor 19th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickytaylor
    At 6 years old not letting them go to the toilet when they need to is wrong IMO.

When I was that age at school we were allowed to put our hand up and ask and so were my children.

It never caused any disruption to the class.

I also would be having a word with the school about this.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    In your opinion, I don't let my year 2 class go and they manage fine, they either go during break or hold on in lesson time
    • JJG
    • By JJG 19th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    JJG
    Not? Are you living in the 90's?

this do you?

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/articles/investing-teaching-workforce

the tesching workforce programme is to enable teachers to retire to create vacancies
    Maybe there's not a shortage in Northern Ireland. But there is a huge shortage throughout England. I notice everyone of your sources is quoting Northern Ireland only.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/teacher-shortages-to-hit-crisis-point-2020-mps-warn-neil-carmichael-education-select-comittee-a7590481.html
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 21,305 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    In your opinion, I don't let my year 2 class go and they manage fine, they either go during break or hold on in lesson time
    Originally posted by Vickytaylor
    Well I am also in the same opinion as some other posters as to your
    authenticity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,775Posts Today

8,857Users online

Martin's Twitter