Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    • 31,204Posts
    • 36,901Thanks
    Browntoa
    Oxypod false claims
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    Oxypod false claims 16th Jun 17 at 10:34 AM
    come across this , had seen adverts for it before

https://www.asa.org.uk/non-compliant/goodwin-development-trust.html

Goodwin Development Trust is in breach of the UK Advertising Standards Code for making unproven efficacy claims for a device called the Oxypod that can be fitted to central heating systems.

The ASA investigated claims on www.oxypod.me that the Oxypod could reduce heating bills by up to 30%, prevent corrosion and remove dissolved air from central heating systems.

In the absence of sufficient evidence to support the claims made, the ASA concluded the claims were misleading and breached the Code.

Goodwin Development Trust provided an assurance to the ASA that they would comply with the ruling. However, the claims continued to appear on www.oxypod.me. The CAP Compliance team therefore contacted Goodwin Development Trust and requested their assurance that the relevant changes would be made to the website www.oxypod.me. Although the ASA upheld the complaint against Goodwin Development Trust, and despite repeated requests for an assurance of future compliance, Goodwin Development Trust has not removed the problematic claims from its website www.oxypod.me.
    Because of the continued non-compliance of Goodwin Development Trust, we took the decision to place its details on this section of the ASA website on 10 May 2017. These details shall remain in place until such time as Goodwin Development Trust has removed or amended the claims on its website www.oxypod.me to ensure compliance with the CAP Code.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 1
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 16th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    Because of the continued non-compliance of Goodwin Development Trust, we took the decision to place its details on this section of the ASA website on 10 May 2017. These details shall remain in place until such time as Goodwin Development Trust has removed or amended the claims on its website www.oxypod.me to ensure compliance with the CAP Code.
    Originally posted by Browntoa

No mention of the ASA taking any legal action against Godwin Development, simply a statement saying that the warning will stay on the ASA website until GD decide to amend their claims.
    Another toothless tiger by the sounds of it.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 16th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    No mention of the ASA taking any legal action against Godwin Development, simply a statement saying that the warning will stay on the ASA website until GD decide to amend their claims.
    Another toothless tiger by the sounds of it.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    Yes, the ASA is quite toothless. Mostly a case of wrist slapping after the horse has bolted.

https://www.asa.org.uk/codes-and-rulings/sanctions.html
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 16th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 11,031 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    ASA is funded by the ad industry and has no legal sanction - but it still is relevant to newspapers and advertising agencies and embarrassment by them does help reduce further abuse. Better than nothing at all, for sure.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 31,204 Posts
    • 36,901 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    Well will now pop up higher on Google rankings on anyone searching for this company
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

447Posts Today

4,294Users online

Martin's Twitter