Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 16th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 5,935Posts
    • 27,887Thanks
    pineapple
    Budget kitchen refurb
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    Budget kitchen refurb 16th Jun 17 at 10:32 AM
    I moved into an old cottage with horrible 60s kitchen units. I want to keep my free standing dresser, old sideboard and farmhouse table and avoid a standard fitted kitchen look. So really it's just a matter of replacing a run of units along one wall - plus the sink unit. We are only talking 2 double units along the base plus 2 double wall units.
    Kitchen sellers say (of course) that I might as well just take it all out but the carcasses are sound. Plus the wall has an unusual curve and the existing carcasses have been cut around the curve. So any new units would have to be specially fitted. I've been quoted around £3,000 for the job including lighting/wiring, hob and midi oven. Someone else has recommended simply fitting new doors and work surface. Plus a new sink. In which case I would probably just get a free-standing cooker.
    Unfortunately I would have to pay someone to do it but I reckon I should still make a substantial saving. Less upheaval too.
    Has anyone just gone with replacement doors etc and were you pleased with the result?
    Last edited by pineapple; 16-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 16th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    Our last house was tarted up before selling; the most expensive thing we did was replacing the cupboard doors, and when it was done, we were sorry we hadn't done it years before.

I think it came to about £650, which included the fitting.
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 16th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    The potential problem is that your 60's units may not be the same size as modern units which replacement doors are available for, then you would be looking a bespoke doors. Measure your units. I do find it unlikely that 50 year old units are sound.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 5,935 Posts
    • 27,887 Thanks
    pineapple
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    The potential problem is that your 60's units may not be the same size as modern units which replacement doors are available for, then you would be looking a bespoke doors. Measure your units. I do find it unlikely that 50 year old units are sound.
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    I'm measuring up the units today. There are plenty of online suppliers offering made to measure. The issue as you say is at what cost. I'm guessing about the age of the units. Looking at pics of old kitchens, they could maybe be later - say 1980s.
    The units were in situ when the previous owner acquired the property - 27 years ago. He used it as a personal holiday cottage for 25 years - so the property has been largely unoccupied since around 1990.
    So yes, the carcasses are absolutely sound.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin