Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lambo74
    • By lambo74 16th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lambo74
    Car insurance renewal whilst claim is unresolved
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    Car insurance renewal whilst claim is unresolved 16th Jun 17 at 10:12 AM
    Hi,
    My car insurance renewal is due soon and my wife is a named driver on the policy. At the end of last month a truck ran into the back of her at traffic lights and the claim is still ongoing. It is very likely to be a no blame claim on her part but until it is confirmed how do I handle this for renewal purposes?

Thanks
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 16th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    be honest and there should be a drop down box with the price comparison websites on claims unresolved or something like that
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    If you're claiming off yours or your wife's insurance, then it's a fault claim until it's closed with a full recovery (which then makes it non-fault).

Make sure you update the holding insurer/broker too, so they are offering terms on the correct basis.
    • Rachel02
    • By Rachel02 19th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachel02
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    Hello, I am in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I went into the back of a car at traffic lights last week. I have made the claim, am currently in a courtesy car, and my car is getting repaired. My insurance renewal is due on Thursday and I have found a cheaper quote elsewhere (obviously with informing them about the crash). I would like to switch on Thursday, but as the current case is not necessarily 'concluded' (i.e. I don't have my car back from being repaired yet) is it perfectly ok for me to switch at this point? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rachel02; 19-06-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    Hello, I am in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I went into the back of a car at traffic lights last week. I have made the claim, am currently in a curtsey car, and my car is getting repaired. My insurance renewal is due on Thursday and I have found a cheaper quote elsewhere (obviously with informing them about the crash). I would like to switch on Thursday, but as the current case is not necessary 'concluded' (i.e. I don't have my car back from being repaired yet) is it perfectly ok for me to switch at this point? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Rachel02
    you would need to declare it is a fault claim and it may affect your renewal quote with others
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Rachel02
    • By Rachel02 19th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachel02
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    Thank you, so as long as I declare fault claim with the insurer I wish to switch to, I can still cancel (on day of renewal, i.e Thursday) my existing insurance who are currently dealing with the claim? Thanks.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    Yes. You don't 'cancel' the policy, you just don't take up the renewal - but make sure you tell them you don't want to renew!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    just mention you wish the policy to lapse is the better term as cancellation means that and you may incur cancellation charges
    • Rachel02
    • By Rachel02 19th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachel02
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    Okay, thank you very much for the advice - much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin