Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Suesahn
    • By Suesahn 16th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Suesahn
    No proof of address
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    No proof of address 16th Jun 17 at 9:47 AM
    We have a new au pair come to live with us from Spain. Previously I have been able to 'introduce' our au pairs to the bank so they have not required proof of UK address. However it seems that the bank have changed their rules so now require to have proof of UK address. As they have only just arrived we do not have this and I am not willing to add her to any of our utility bills.

Can anyone suggest an alternative account that doesn't require proof of address? Would a pre paid card be an option? I'm struggling a bit with how to resolve this.

Many thanks for your help

Susan
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 22,387 Posts
    • 12,914 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    We have a new au pair come to live with us from Spain
    http://www.aupairfriends.com/masterpage.asp?token=&language=3&content=41

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/bank-accounts-eu/index_en.htm
    • Suesahn
    • By Suesahn 16th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suesahn
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    Thanks for those. My local bank (bank of Scotland) are being what I consider a little pedantic. As she is staying with us they say that she is living in the UK so needs proof of UK address.

Will need to see if I can find another bank and try to work it out.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 5,297 Posts
    • 5,056 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    Thanks for those. My local bank (bank of Scotland) are being what I consider a little pedantic. As she is staying with us they say that she is living in the UK so needs proof of UK address.

Originally posted by Suesahn
    In this recent thread I was pointing out that most banks list their ID verification criteria on their websites so you can research from the comfort of your armchair! On that occasion, the poster found that TSB worked for them....
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    I'm not familiar with how 'au pairing' works, but if she needs to be registered with HMRC for tax or has needed to be allocated an NI number by DWP, would a letter from one of those to your address do ? HMRC should issue a 'notice of coding' letter on request if you give them a ring.
    • Suesahn
    • By Suesahn 16th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suesahn
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    She is not required to register with HMRC as it is classed as a cultural exchange. This would be acceptable I think but does take a long time to come through. Thanks
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 16th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    Can she not apply for as an EEA national?

Nationwide seem to the have most functional basic account with contactless. Otherwise, Clydesdale issue a non-contactless debit card on their savings accounts, if she doesn't require direct debit facilities (they also offer a basic account).

If she drives, she can swap her Spanish licence and get proof of address on the UK replacement. She can use her Spanish Passport /ID card as proof of ID.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 23,890 Posts
    • 11,145 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:09 PM

Originally posted by Suesahn
    It can be done but in reverse!
    EU residents can open basic bank accounts in the UK but BoS as part of Lloyds has an online ONLY application for this account.
    It may be that a card and pin might have to be sent to a Spanish address (family) to begin with but once the account is open nothing stopping her changing her address to yours using her debit card and passport as ID.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    Her options broadly are: either open a Basic Bank Account as an EU national (passport and proof of Spanish address required) or else get her current Spanish bank to change her address to your UK one and send a statement in the post.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Suesahn
    • By Suesahn 16th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suesahn
    Thanks everyone for your help. Will find out if she has anything with her to prove her Spanish address and do it that way.

Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,182Posts Today

8,510Users online

Martin's Twitter