Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rubidium87
    • By Rubidium87 16th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rubidium87
    Getting someone else (contracting) someone else to buy a car on my behalf
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    Getting someone else (contracting) someone else to buy a car on my behalf 16th Jun 17 at 9:25 AM
    The car buying process seems fraught with problems - what ever aspect you look into, there seems to be subtle issues that can catch out the most guarded of people. I was just looking at HPI checking and discovering there are so many companies providing the service, many of very limited value. About 20+ years ago I did use a guy (I think he was on TopGear) - I contacted him and gave him the spec of a car I was interested in and he rang me from auctions and about private sales until he eventually managed to get what we wanted at the right price - he delivered it MOT'd and serviced and it was all-in-all a good price and felt trouble free - I'm looking for someone who can do the same or a similar job - someone who can check out a car and make sure we pay a fair price for fair car, ideally someone who can get a plugin diagnostic (where a diagnostic scanner is used for the OBD for reading live and historic fault codes) - can anyone suggest someone or some company to approach?
Page 1
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    The car buying process seems fraught with problems - what ever aspect you look into, there seems to be subtle issues that can catch out the most guarded of people. I was just looking at HPI checking and discovering there are so many companies providing the service, many of very limited value. About 20+ years ago I did use a guy (I think he was on TopGear) - I contacted him and gave him the spec of a car I was interested in and he rang me from auctions and about private sales until he eventually managed to get what we wanted at the right price - he delivered it MOT'd and serviced and it was all-in-all a good price and felt trouble free - I'm looking for someone who can do the same or a similar job - someone who can check out a car and make sure we pay a fair price for fair car, ideally someone who can get a plugin diagnostic (where a diagnostic scanner is used for the OBD for reading live and historic fault codes) - can anyone suggest someone or some company to approach?
    Originally posted by Rubidium87
    With margins very thin and expectations high, i dont think there are too many who can carve a living out of that sort of service any more (at least for relatively run of the mill stuff)

What car are you looking for, what year, budget and where are you in the country?
    Last edited by motorguy; 16-06-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Rubidium87
    • By Rubidium87 16th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rubidium87
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    Thanks for reply. Stoke-on-Trent.
    ~£5K budget which means that there are very few in the large car supermarkets.
    Daughters first car, needed now she has finished uni and has a job to start end of July.
    She's using money from her ISA.
    At the moment we're looking Skoda Fabia SE (she wants air con) around 2012. Her bf has a newer Fabia and she likes it.
    Last edited by Rubidium87; 16-06-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 16th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    loskie
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    That's what a car dealer will do! Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes not.
    • Rubidium87
    • By Rubidium87 17th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rubidium87
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    flippingcars
    Is one service I found so far.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    Thanks for reply. Stoke-on-Trent.
    ~£5K budget which means that there are very few in the large car supermarkets.
    Daughters first car, needed now she has finished uni and has a job to start end of July.
    She's using money from her ISA.
    At the moment we're looking Skoda Fabia SE (she wants air con) around 2012. Her bf has a newer Fabia and she likes it.
    Originally posted by Rubidium87
    Theres a fairly decent search mechanism now on autotrader so you can search by specific year range, make, model, trim level, engine type, max mileage,etc.

You can also search by distance from your postcode.

I'd be looking for an established dealer with a proper bricks and mortar showroom, a years comprehensive warranty (check whos providing it, the terms and maybe google it to see what people think).

For HPI checks use either HPI themselves or someone like RAC. Dont do an HPI check until you've settled on a particular car and are ready to buy.

Do your homework up front, ring the dealer in advance, ask about documented / stamped service history, previous owners and the condition of the car.

Also at 5 years old it MAY be due a timing belt if one is fitted (belts are usually replaced on set age or set mileage whichever comes first)
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 18th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 25,110 Posts
    • 296,915 Thanks
    davemorton
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    If buying from a dealer, why waste money on a HPI?
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

8,914Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin