Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 16th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 88Thanks
    mariposa687
    Job offer - what would you do?
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    Job offer - what would you do? 16th Jun 17 at 9:10 AM
    I've been offered a job after an interview yesterday. The interview was a bit strange in that they didn't really ask that may questions i.e strengths/weaknesses/why did I want the job. The mainly told me about the job and asked if I had any questions. It was more of chat than an interview.

The salary is OK but not the best considering the cost of living where it is. I'm worried I might struggle a little on it considering I want to start saving to buy a house. I wouldn't want to do it long term as I eventually want to get out of admin roles.

But the real thing that is holding me back is a recent bad review of the company on glassdoor from 3 months ago. The review says that there were lots of cliques and nasty bullying. Also that the administrative staff were looked down on by higher earners. I would be working in an administrative capacity. The only 2 reviews are negative, one from early last year and another from 2013. The one from 2016 says colleagues were rude, they were underappreciated and it is a terrible place to work.

I don't know whether to trust the reviews or let it influence my decision too much but I also don't want to work there if what they say is true.

If you were in my position what would you do?
Page 1
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 16th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 25,610 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    Is it a big company?

If it has 2000 employees and only two bad reviews, then I'd take no notice.

If it has five employees, then I might question a bit more.

When you wee there, did you get any vibe from the place?

BTW, our interviews are more chats, we want people that fit in with other staff, rather than people who may be great on paper but don't gel well.
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 16th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mariposa687
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    250 employees split over 2 offices. The negative reviews are from the office I'd be working in.

The reason I'm asking is that in my previous job they seemed ok at the interview and when I actually took the job they were terrible employers. I don't want to make the same mistake again.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 16th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    2 out of 250 isn't a lot especially when one is from 2013
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 16th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 25,610 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    2 out of 250 doesn't seem too bad! There is always going to be someone that isn't happy and I'm guessing that people are more likely to post negative rather than positive reviews. That tends to be the nature of reviews it seems.

From an interview, unless you get a terrible impression, you can't tell if they are good or bad employers - but that will always be the case.

Do you have a gut feeling - that's what I would go on.
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 16th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mariposa687
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    Thank you, that's what I wondered.

My gut feeling is that I will likely turn it down for other reasons. It's not clear what progression there is and the salary is a major concern. I'd be worried that I would just survive on it and no more. The city where the job is is not a cheap place to live.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 16th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    I wouldn't turn a job down on the basis of 2 negative reviews in 5 years, but as you already have other major concerns the reviews may be the final link in the chain to confirm what I suspect is already your decision.
    What you do need to prepare for is questions about why you've turned the job down. If they increase the pay offer would that be enough to overcome your other concerns? Just something to think about :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,407Posts Today

7,813Users online

Martin's Twitter