Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 16th Jun 17, 1:00 AM
    • 2,074Posts
    • 37,092Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    Npower or SSE?
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:00 AM
    Npower or SSE? 16th Jun 17 at 1:00 AM
    Currently duel fuel with EDF, looking to switch - Npower and SSE working out about the same cheapest cost - which would you go with? Or neither, wait a bit longer and hope for other competitive tariffs? I have found EDF very good and was with Ovo before, also very good.
Page 1
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 16th Jun 17, 5:51 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:51 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:51 AM
    NPower have a poor reputation. I would go for SSE.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 16th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    I'm been with EDF 3 years now, but my deal runs out in July and their new tariffs are expensive. Got to say, I like being with EDF but money is money. I've also found that NP and SSE are in the right ball park for me, so would welcome any more pointers.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    Currently duel fuel with EDF, looking to switch - Npower and SSE working out about the same cheapest cost - which would you go with? Or neither, wait a bit longer and hope for other competitive tariffs? I have found EDF very good and was with Ovo before, also very good.
    Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    Give us some details, and hopefully someone will assist you further.

Min. details required:
    Anticipated annual connsumption in kWh for each fuel
    Supply region (or first part of postcode)
    If on E7, please advise night useage as percentage of total
    If gas is supplied via an IGT, please advise.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    Look at splitting them up rather than going straight for dual-fuel. You may be surprised.

As I write now the energy club tells me I can save £3 on dual, -£6 on gas and £51 on electricity (if I move to Powershop, which is a model I'm not sold on atm).
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 16th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    I went to SSE in December last year and so far I have no complaints whatsoever.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 16th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 37,092 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    Thanks for comments on SSE
    Did use them many many years ago with no problems, but was just looking for up to date opinions.

Give us some details, and hopefully someone will assist you further.

Min. details required:
    Anticipated annual connsumption in kWh for each fuel
    Supply region (or first part of postcode)
    If on E7, please advise night useage as percentage of total
    If gas is supplied via an IGT, please advise.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Thanks, but I was just asking from a customer service/experience point of view. I've already "crunched the numbers" and it's Npower and SSE that work out cheapest out of what is currently available

Look at splitting them up rather than going straight for dual-fuel. You may be surprised.

As I write now the energy club tells me I can save £3 on dual, -£6 on gas and £51 on electricity (if I move to Powershop, which is a model I'm not sold on atm).
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Good idea, thanks I've checked and splitting them up doesn't lower the cost much. Scottish power for electric and Npower/SSE for gas would be £7 cheaper. Powershop would be £20 cheaper.
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 16-06-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    @2013year...
    You can get more cash back by using QUIDCO to switch through than the CEC.
    npower is £60 dual fuel, £30 single
    SSE up to £46.40 dual fuel, £23.20 single
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 4,559 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    I know this is not a popular view but my experience of nPower's customer service, while including some awful experiences, is largely good. Their online chat team leave a great deal to be desired but I hardly think they are unique in that, since these services always seem to be based overseas but their UK based phone customer service is usually (not always) pretty good and occasionally excellent, in my experience.

I am currently debating how much I would need to save to make it worthwhile switching supplier, given the hassle it can be. So far the best saving I can make is £17 per year for dual fuel; just not worth it, is it?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've already "crunched the numbers" and it's Npower and SSE that work out cheapest out of what is currently available
    Out of interest, what were those numbers (and other details) you crunched?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 16th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I've just switched back to npower (who I have criticised in the past) but so far things have happened like clockwork. (17 day switch, opening meter reading online within 2 days of submission, account fully opened on 19th day after initiating switch).
    Have been an SSE customer many moons ago and they are just like npower/E.ON.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 17th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 37,092 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    Out of interest, what were those numbers (and other details) you crunched?
    14000kwh gas
    2000kwh elec
    No E7/IGT
    They live in Hampshire.
    Included cashback (although not guaranteed I know)
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8,031 Posts
    • 4,791 Thanks
    teddysmum

I am currently debating how much I would need to save to make it worthwhile switching supplier, given the hassle it can be. So far the best saving I can make is £17 per year for dual fuel; just not worth it, is it?
    Originally posted by Smodlet

I had a situation,2 years ago, where the saving was £6. However, even these savings are not guaranteed, as you never use exactly the same amount of energy each year.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    footyguy
    14000kwh gas
    2000kwh elec
    No E7/IGT
    They live in Hampshire.
    Included cashback (although not guaranteed I know)
    I've crunched those numbers and had to look a long way down the list to find either nPower or SSE

So I think the answer to your OP is neither

nPower comes out at £793 pa and SSE £794pa (less possible cashback)

Or you could simply go for Oneselect Secure 1 Year Fixed
    or Green Network Energy GNE Italian Touch 12 Month Fixed V6 both at £753pa (and no need to worry about possible cashback)

Or if you really wanted cashback (as it seems you are doing this for someone else ) then why not Toto TOTO Discount Variable Saver at £781 pa ?

Or if you were to go seperately (and want possible cashback) then:
    Gas - daligas daligas One Fix Spring 17 @ £462pa
    Electricity - Bristol Energy My Local Tariff 1 Year Fix Issue 6 Paperless Bill £312 pa
    Total - only £774 pa (less possible cashback for each)

Source: energyhelpline

Personally, I would take MSE Martin's advice and not base any decision on possible cashback

Otherwise, I think it has to be nPower as quidco offer £60 possible cashback, whereas it's only £46.50 for SSE (so really not worth the risk based on other options available)
    If you are using quidco, don't forget their highest cashback guarantee

What confuses me is that you start off talking about cost, then in post#7 you say you are "asking from a customer service/experience point of view" and now you are considering possible cashback in your decision making process, it seems it's all about the money again...
    Last edited by footyguy; 18-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 18th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 37,092 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I've crunched those numbers and had to look a long way down the list to find either nPower or SSE

So I think the answer to your OP is neither

nPower comes out at £793 pa and SSE £794pa (less possible cashback)

Or you could simply go for Oneselect Secure 1 Year Fixed
    or Green Network Energy GNE Italian Touch 12 Month Fixed V6 both at £753pa (and no need to worry about possible cashback)

Or if you really wanted cashback (as it seems you are doing this for someone else ) then why not Toto TOTO Discount Variable Saver at £781 pa ?

Or if you were to go seperately (and want possible cashback) then:
    Gas - daligas daligas One Fix Spring 17 @ £462pa
    Electricity - Bristol Energy My Local Tariff 1 Year Fix Issue 6 Paperless Bill £312 pa
    Total - only £774 pa (less possible cashback for each)

Source: energyhelpline

Personally, I would take MSE Martin's advice and not base any decision on possible cashback

Otherwise, I think it has to be nPower as quidco offer £60 possible cashback, whereas it's only £46.50 for SSE (so really not worth the risk based on other options available)
    If you are using quidco, don't forget their highest cashback guarantee

What confuses me is that you start off talking about cost, then in post#7 you say you are "asking from a customer service/experience point of view" and now you are considering possible cashback in your decision making process, it seems it's all about the money again...
    Yes, I'm doing it for someone else. Cashback is for them, not me!

Npower is £733 with cashback
    SSE is £748 with cashback (or £746)

Both cheaper than the £753 or £781 (or £751 with cashback)

I appreciate cashback shouldn't be relied upon and, that without it, yes of course £753/781 is cheaper than £793/794, but the couple I'm switching for aren't keen on switching to a company they've not heard of (although could possibly be persuaded if it was a large saving) and so are happy to take the risk with the cashback, especially since if it does come through, then it is cheaper overall. They paid £675 for the last 12 months and the nearest to switch to within EDF is £987, so trying to save them as much money as possible without switching them to a company they are not comfortable with

So.....with them having decided on Npower or SSE or waiting, that's why I was only asking from a customer service point of view, which company (or both) others would recommend or avoid and that is what I have received both here and via PM, so I've received the responses I was looking for, thanks
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 18-06-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    • snoman
    • By snoman 21st Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    snoman
    Similar situation here. Been with EDF for a couple of years and with Npower (what a disaster!) before. Have been happy with EDF until being presented with a ludicrous price increase, despite wholesale energy costs barely changing over several years. Have had a much better quote from SSE, so will probably give them a try.
    • snoman
    • By snoman 27th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    snoman
    Have now managed to get a much better quote from EDF, so staying with them.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 28th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Snoman - would be interested to know what tariff at EDF you got - checked at the weekend and their cheapest tariff is £250 a year more expensive for me - currently on Blue+Price Promise July 2017.
    Can't understand their per unit price this year as leccy is up by 44% and gas by 59% against my current deal, which I only took up last year, although daily charges are the same. Cheapest EDF I can find is 14.95p per kWh electric and 3.052p per kWh gas (compared to my current 10.38p and 1.905p respectively).
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 28th Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 4,559 Thanks
    Smodlet
    BigPhil1474, those new prices suck compared to several I can get now, notably from EDF, nPower and the Co-op. It does depend on where you are in the country, of course but hope you find a better deal than that. I, too am loathe to let go of my current, very good tariff but it also ends in July so needs must. Good tariff hunting.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • snoman
    • By snoman 29th Jun 17, 8:49 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    snoman
    Snoman - would be interested to know what tariff at EDF you got - checked at the weekend and their cheapest tariff is £250 a year more expensive for me - currently on Blue+Price Promise July 2017.
    Can't understand their per unit price this year as leccy is up by 44% and gas by 59% against my current deal, which I only took up last year, although daily charges are the same. Cheapest EDF I can find is 14.95p per kWh electric and 3.052p per kWh gas (compared to my current 10.38p and 1.905p respectively).
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    My new tariff is: "Simply Fixed Aug 18" arranged via the recent Daily Telegraph Big Energy Switch.

Elec: 12.432p and Gas: 2.885p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

8,870Users online

Martin's Twitter