Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 15th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    • 4,843Posts
    • 2,058Thanks
    rev_henry
    3 series...or something else?
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    3 series...or something else? 15th Jun 17 at 11:52 PM
    I am starting to think very seriously about a new car. Budget up to 10k, maybe a little more at a push. This is orders of magnitude more than I have ever spent on a car so is somewhat uncharted territory for me.

I do 20k a year so fuel economy is high on the agenda. Other criteria are:
    auto
    Cruise
    fast - max 0-60 in 8 max, faster is better.
    Gadgets. Many gadgets.
    Something that looks nice and actually has some street cred.
    40mpg absolute minimum
    Space not really an issue but I draw the practicality line at 2 seaters.

Things I have considered so far:
    Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI, for the teenager in me (fun but bit too basic inside though I think, definitely fast and much cheaper than the others). Although I do have some reservations about how long a 1.4 turbo super will last before going bang.
    Polo GTI, Fabia VRS, as above.
    E93 convertible 325d or facelifted 320d or 330d. I did start out with my heart set on a convertible but they do command a ludicrous premium over the equivalent not convertible which is making me think maybe I don't want one that much. Seems ludicrous to have to go approx 4 years older and old shape just to put the roof down occasionally. What is putting me off the 320d is obviously its not a six, the pre facelift is too slow, but also seems much rarer to find a 320 with idrive which I really want if I'm having a BMW.
    F10 320d. Pushing the budget a bit but 68mpg and £20 tax, nothing similar comes close. 325d+ would be fine too, but I haven't seen any in budget.
    Non convertible E9x 3 series of some description. But if the F10 is in budget...

Audi A5 2.7 TDI convertible
    Mercedes C class.

All roads are leading back to a 3 series at the moment, although yesterday I though I'd decided on the Ibiza. Haven't driven any at all yet. Does anyone have anything to add? Anything I've missed or any pitfalls with the BMW? Seen a few around 50-80k on the clock and the odd one with more like 100k which I'm inclined to avoid.
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 16th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    loskie
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    Diesel 320 is a money pit. Cam chain problems are common. Look at a Volvo S60 D4 or5 you may be pleasantly surprised. Try to find the 2.4d and try to avoid the ones that need adblu.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 16th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    Why does it need to be fast?
    The maximum speed limit is 70mph unless youre going to go on private race tracks?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 16th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    Why does it need to be fast?
    The maximum speed limit is 70mph unless youre going to go on private race tracks?
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Maybe they like to overtake with an added safety margin? It's not all about top speed.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    How about a Jag XF?

Fast enough, lots of gadgets and the older model consistently towards the top of JD Power.
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Glover1862
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    You said
    "F10 320d. Pushing the budget a bit but 68mpg and £20 tax"

You'll never get 68mpg from a 320d, try mid 40's which others cars are similar, F10 is the 5 series, I think you mean F30.

Try Lexus IS300h, great car and fantastic build quality. Not diesel and will give you real mpg close to any diesel.
    • jlfrs
    • By jlfrs 16th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jlfrs
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    I've owned quite a few Beemers over the years, if refinement is high on your list I would avoid the 4 pot diesels as pretty agricultural. You can get a 325D or 330D but then your economy goes out the window.
    As a bit of a leftfield suggestion, what about a VW CC? I test drove one of these and loved it, very refined, lots of toys, and the manual gearbox is a gem. They do 2 power options for diesel and both are good. There's a few examples out there under 50k miles and under £10k. Get the right colour and you've a pretty sleek looking coupe-esque saloon with loadsa room!
    • afro
    • By afro 16th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    afro
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI ... have some reservations about how long a 1.4 turbo super will last before going bang.
    Originally posted by rev_henry
    Try the Leon with the 1.4 TSI too.

The recent ones are not twin charger, but a single turbo. The old chain cam replaced with a belt. They are much more reliable than the old twin chargers. And get nearly 60mpg on a long run, and 150bhp
    All my views are my monkey's views. I give advice on behalf of my pet monkey and do I give banana related advice. All my posts are my monkey's opinion and no-one else's.
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 16th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    Diesel 320 is a money pit. Cam chain problems are common. Look at a Volvo S60 D4 or5 you may be pleasantly surprised. Try to find the 2.4d and try to avoid the ones that need adblu.
    Originally posted by loskie
    I thought that was meant to be resolved with the F30? I'll have a look at the Volvo, thanks.
    How about a Jag XF?

Fast enough, lots of gadgets and the older model consistently towards the top of JD Power.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Oh yes that's also on the list I just forgot. Only thing is Honest John says its great, but in the same breath various horror stories about routine servicing costing £3k and various expensive problems. Certainly nice inside though and fast, but at the lower end of the mpg scale I'm looking at.
    You said
    "F10 320d. Pushing the budget a bit but 68mpg and £20 tax"

You'll never get 68mpg from a 320d, try mid 40's which others cars are similar, F10 is the 5 series, I think you mean F30.

Try Lexus IS300h, great car and fantastic build quality. Not diesel and will give you real mpg close to any diesel.
    Originally posted by Glover1862
    You say that, but I have never failed to get slightly more than the official combined figure in any car I've owned as I drive pretty economically on largely traffic free roads. Mid 40s is quite a difference to 68. Yes I did mean the F30 thanks.
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 16th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    rev_henry
    I've owned quite a few Beemers over the years, if refinement is high on your list I would avoid the 4 pot diesels as pretty agricultural. You can get a 325D or 330D but then your economy goes out the window.
    As a bit of a leftfield suggestion, what about a VW CC? I test drove one of these and loved it, very refined, lots of toys, and the manual gearbox is a gem. They do 2 power options for diesel and both are good. There's a few examples out there under 50k miles and under £10k. Get the right colour and you've a pretty sleek looking coupe-esque saloon with loadsa room!
    Originally posted by jlfrs
    An E9x 6 pot isn't exactly thirsty though! I think I need to have a drive in both and decide if its worth the difference. I'll take a look thanks.
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 17th Jun 17, 1:25 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Glover1862
    You want a sub 8 sec 0 to 60, yet drive it thinking you'll get 68mpg, dream on. Have you driven one? if not I'd suggest you get one for the weekend, also stay away from SE spec, it's embarrassing to call it a BMW, the build quality is poor, I had to change the steering wheel to an m sport one as it was so thin, one of the worst cars I had, lucky it was a company one.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 17th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Muscle750
    If you want to hear a bang and a smouldering wallet to the the of £8k plus stay away from the BMW total bunk not to mention the swirl flap issue
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 17th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    horror stories about routine servicing costing £3k and various expensive problems. Certainly nice inside though and fast, but at the lower end of the mpg scale I'm looking at.
    Originally posted by rev_henry
    To be fair that could (and is) said about any of the "prestige" brands.
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 17th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    rev_henry
    Well today I want a convertible again. Reading between the lines the 3.0d E93 doesn't have too many horror stories compared to the 2.0d. Any thoughts?
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 30th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    rev_henry
    After some thought, a convertible will 'cost' me a car that is at least 3 years older, i.e. 7 or 8, which is quite old for a £10k car, so I'm moving away from that idea.
    Currently I'm thinking W204 C class (preferably 250, although 220 would do if it had all the options), F30 320d or even an E class. I could just about get an approved used C or E class in budget, I haven't yet seen a new shape BMW approved used in budget.
    Is this approved used business worth seeking out and paying a premium for? Are the above any good?
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 30th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    bengalknights
    Id recommend the Lexus IS or the budget person in me says mondeo titanium x
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 30th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    gabitzul
    Have not owned that many cars, but I do have a W204 (2009 Estate SE with some upgrades). Very well built and the OM646 is how an engine should be built, not had any issues. Chain driven. Get the older one so not OM651 as they are fragile and have DPF.

Make sure it's an auto (went for manual and I don't enjoy it) and has Comand. Cruise is standard on auto and many other toys.

Remembered something, be prepared to do your own servicing if you can or at least find a local garage who can take care of it, they are a bit more complex than average (though I don't think exagerrately so). The main dealer prices are tear inducing.
    Last edited by gabitzul; 30-06-2017 at 3:02 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin