Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexgt
    • By Alexgt 15th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Alexgt
    0 WOW
    Damage charges from airbnb!
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Damage charges from airbnb! 15th Jun 17 at 11:36 PM
    Hi,

I really hope you lovely people can help! I've just been away on holiday to a lovely cottage. The long and the short is that I spilled some egg yolk on the duvet having breakfast in bed and on my return home was greeted with a £25 damage charge for duvet stains. This is despite a very expensive £100/night fee in the first place.

I feel this is very unfair but the email says they will contact airbnb if it is not paid, and from what I can understand, the airbnb terms state they will simply charge the account used to pay the fee.

What is the correct way to go about disputing this issue? As I feel an egg yolk would be washed off in a normal wash, or at worst with a little scrubbing.

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 12,522 Posts
    • 16,713 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    Egg is a sod to remove from anything.

That's why it is used as a base for paint.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 16th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    If the stains are on the duvet itself it probably needs to be professionally cleaned. £25 does not sound unreasonable in that case. How much you paid in rental per night really isn't relevant.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 16th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    You didn't clean it off when you spilled it? £25 is nothing then, and I'd never class £100 a night as "very expensive". You made the mess, pay the bill!
    travelover
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    If you've ever had eggs through at your windows by yobs you'll know how hard it is to get off. Don't be silly.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • Grumpygit
    • By Grumpygit 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    Grumpygit
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    I've just had my duvet cleaned and it cost me £40 so you're getting off lightly really.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 7,352 Posts
    • 7,371 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    Didn't Airbnb tell you about this before you went?

If not, they have been sorely lacking.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 9,581 Posts
    • 6,096 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    Hi,

I really hope you lovely people can help! I've just been away on holiday to a lovely cottage. The long and the short is that I spilled some egg yolk on the duvet having breakfast in bed and on my return home was greeted with a £25 damage charge for duvet stains. This is despite a very expensive £100/night fee in the first place.

I feel this is very unfair but the email says they will contact airbnb if it is not paid, and from what I can understand, the airbnb terms state they will simply charge the account used to pay the fee.

What is the correct way to go about disputing this issue? As I feel an egg yolk would be washed off in a normal wash, or at worst with a little scrubbing.

Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by Alexgt
    Since you didn't clean it originally, and object to the charge, what seems fair is if you return and then try and clean it.

If you don't manage to do a good job then probably best to buy and replace the duvet.

Seems fair to me.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    If the stain had been washed at the time it may have been more easily removed but if it was left to harden in then it would take soaking and then washing which may need to be repeated.

A Google search for ' how to remove egg yolk stain' will inform you of how difficult it is to remove such a stain.
    • Alexgt
    • By Alexgt 16th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Alexgt
    Fair play guys, thanks for your comments
    • greenface
    • By greenface 17th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    £100 a night isn't expensive anyways but that's irrelevant . its not a big bill . a decent duvet is expensive . a cheap duvets about that . to clean one is hard (I wouldn't try just replace one .) would you like to have walked into the cottage and seen a egg stain on the duvet . I'm a lodge owner myself and I go through a few a year due to stains and skiddys . (seriously). You admit doing it . I would have tried to properly clean it or replaced it . buy a new one . you got off light with a bill for a pony
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 6,699 Posts
    • 8,227 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    £100 a night isn't expensive anyways but that's irrelevant
    Originally posted by greenface
    It is if you're in the spare room of an occupied house!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Jun 17, 3:25 PM
    • 9,581 Posts
    • 6,096 Thanks
    bigadaj
    £100 a night isn't expensive anyways but that's irrelevant . its not a big bill . a decent duvet is expensive . a cheap duvets about that . to clean one is hard (I wouldn't try just replace one .) would you like to have walked into the cottage and seen a egg stain on the duvet . I'm a lodge owner myself and I go through a few a year due to stains and skiddys . (seriously). You admit doing it . I would have tried to properly clean it or replaced it . buy a new one . you got off light with a bill for a pony
    Originally posted by greenface
    So you're saying he should pony up?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 9,581 Posts
    • 6,096 Thanks
    bigadaj
    It is if you're in the spare room of an occupied house!
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Surely depends on the house.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 19th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    So you're saying he should pony up?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    neigh lad and don't get on your high horse
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter