Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richard-
    • By richard- 15th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 15Thanks
    richard-
    Agency not deducting fees for damage to property?
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    Agency not deducting fees for damage to property? 15th Jun 17 at 11:11 PM
    Hi,

Can anyone advise me.

I have a joint tenancy and my housemate is moving out. I have produced a report of the damage to the room they are vacating and submitted to the agency and they told me by email that no deposit will be taken from the tenant moving out nor me in the future.

I am very septal as previously the smallest of damage has been deducted when i have lived in rented properties.

The damage to a new carpet includes:
    10 iron marks of around 10cm each
    2 cigarette hole burn marks
    4 lost keys

The agency has not come to inspect the property, and asked myself the current tenant to provide a report and send directly. The room is now going to be let to a new tenent, however in the future I do not want either of us to be charged for any issues from previous damage which was identified to the agency.
    Last edited by richard-; 15-06-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    Audi - Vorsprung durch Technik
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 15th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 10,650 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    Your flat mate is moving out. How has this come about? Has he served notice to end the joint tenancy or is a Deed of Variation being drawn up instead?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • richard-
    • By richard- 15th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    richard-
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    Served 1 month notice and a new joint contract is waiting to be setup with myself and the new tenant
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 16th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    • 10,650 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    It does sound as if the letting agency is being a bit lazy. However, they have asked you and the new joint tenant to create a check-in inventory so just do that. That said once they see your check-in inveotey they might decide to pursue you and/or the outgoing tenant for the damage. As joint tenant you each have joint and several liability for the damage regardless of which one caused it and you're going to be easier to find.

Out of interest was an inventory taken when you first moved in?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • richard-
    • By richard- 16th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    richard-
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    It was a brand new flat so everything was new. The inventory taken on moving in was all new condition. I used the template from the initial inventory to create one for the checkout of the previous tenant. I have asked them to return this document I sent to agree of the damage and no fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin