Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Avocadotoast
    • By Avocadotoast 15th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Avocadotoast
    Help! Buyer asking questions AFTER completion!!
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    Help! Buyer asking questions AFTER completion!! 15th Jun 17 at 11:01 PM
    Hi everyone,

The sale of my jointly owned house completed at the end of May. Yesterday I received an email from our conveyancing solicitors with a letter attached from the buyer's own solicitor.

They have asserted that the top oven is not working, the dishwasher trips the electrics and that the fridge is not working. They have also forwarded a bill from a debt collection agency acting on behalf of British Gas that arrived at the property.

Now, I declared in the paperwork that the fridge was not working. There has never been an issue with the oven and the dishwasher has not once tripped anything. The (erroneous) gas debt has been recalled by British Gas and is being put in mine and my ex-partner's names to be corrected so correspondence will go to us directly.

Can you please advise me? I've gone back with the above info - but this all seems nonsensical. Should I continue to correspond over this? What are my rights and will the conveyancing solicitor charge me for returning my responses? I doubt my ex will get involved at all so I'll be left dealing with it. Given I'm on sickness and disability benefits and am about to declare bankruptcy I have no way of paying for legal input.

Thanks!!!

Avo
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    The OP says they 'declared in the paperwork that the fridge wasn't working'.

Sounds like the PIF to me.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Maybe so, but if thats the case, why the need for a separate email about the fridge to the conveyancers?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 5,555 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Maybe so, but if thats the case, why the need for a separate email about the fridge to the conveyancers?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    The email they've sent in response to the solicitor's letter you mean?

Edit: sorry just realised I missed post 11. I don't know then, that's a bit contradictory, but OP does seem anxious and stressed so maybe just making sure?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    The email they've sent in response to the solicitor's letter you mean?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    No, I mean this and in particular the part I've bolded;

My slight concern now is that the solicitors we used have not gotten back to me prior to sending my intended response on to the buyers. I asked them for confirmation that they declared the fridge as not working. They're an online outfit appointed by my ex. I have an email trail showing that I declared the fridge situation to them so I was slightly bemused as to why the buyers are even asking about it

Why is there an email trail? Why not just say "it was mentioned clearly in the F&F form that the fridge wasn't working" Why is an email trail needed, which to me implies that it wasn't in the F&F form?
    • Avocadotoast
    • By Avocadotoast 18th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Avocadotoast
    Hi, I'm not great with the quote thing when I need to quote more than one. But here are answers to questions/speculation.

1) It was an integrated fridge. I offered the under-counter fridge I'd used for a number of weeks for them to use while the integrated fridge wasn't working. They took that.

2) On the F&F form: Bear with me. My ex did not want to play ball. I tried to get us to agree on appointing a proper, local solicitor. He refused and held up the progression of the sale - he blocked the sale all the way through. He then unilaterally went and fully appointed an online solicitor - yes, he did. My name wasn't initially on the instruction form. We were going to lose the only offer we'd had in over a year so I agreed to the choice, reluctantly. However he then went online to the forms they'd sent links to via email, filled them all out and deliberately submitted them without letting me input (there's an option to save and finalise later, so I should have had access). After they are finalised there is no way to access them again for input.

I then had to discuss all of this with the solicitor and send an email with a big list of things that were wrong in the form that he had completed but I couldn't get into. She confirmed that responses were included in the paperwork. BUT, granted, I didn't see it because they just went ahead and submitted it before I could see it.

AND - the email trail about them not coming back to me is in relation to the email I've now sent them to ensure that before they go back to the buyer regards the fridge that they had best double check their paperwork for me.

Before anyone criticises - please do bear in mind that I have spent the last year trying not to die/remain in hospital due to a lifelong mental illness. I really needed some sort of advocate to help me with the processes outlined above. That sort of help isn't widely available, sadly.

I'd still appreciate any thoughts on what I do if the solicitor has failed to submit the information. Please be gentle - I'm not some dodgy house seller - I'm just trying to manage a situation that I've not had enough of a say in and it might be about to bite me.
    Last edited by Avocadotoast; 18-06-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,209Users online

Martin's Twitter