Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs_Rachel_M
    • By Mrs_Rachel_M 15th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mrs_Rachel_M
    Bank charges for international transfers
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    Bank charges for international transfers 15th Jun 17 at 10:34 PM
    Hi all.
    My husband works (and lives) in Cyprus and gets paid into his Cypriot bank account. He then transfers money into my UK bank account each month for bills etc, which we get charged a fee for. My question is, is there any way of doing this which would be free? I go out there every month but short of stuffing Euros down my bra, I can't think of a way round the fee!
    TIA.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 23,742 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    Even if you choose the bra option (any exchange controls to worry about?) you would still lose out as the rate for Euro notes would be inferior to a foreign exchange transfer.
    The bigger the amount of Euros the bigger the difference - now does the fee look a hinderence?

(Cue now for everyone to tell you about various transfer services and cards!)
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Jun 17, 1:03 AM
    • 4,734 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:03 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:03 AM
    My husband works (and lives) in Cyprus and gets paid into his Cypriot bank account. He then transfers money into my UK bank account each month for bills etc, which we get charged a fee for. My question is, is there any way of doing this which would be free? I go out there every month but short of stuffing Euros down my bra, I can't think of a way round the fee!
    Originally posted by Mrs_Rachel_M
    Another Cypriot bank going bust perhaps?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Jun 17, 2:50 AM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:50 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:50 AM
    As well as the bank fees, they are gouging you with their exchange rates.

Consider using TransferWise or Revolut, interbank rates and minimal or no fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter