Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ospre
    • By ospre 15th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ospre
    What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider?
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider? 15th Jun 17 at 9:58 PM
    Driven down a few narrow streets lately and seen a few parked vehicles with a red and white triangle that is attached to either the drivers or passengers door. The said triangle protrudes into the road so that when you are passing the stationary vehicle it makes you go round it slightly wider. They are also reflective so can been seen from a distance.

Been searching on Google and eBay for the last hour trying to find out what they are called as I'd like to get one for when I park in narrow streets but for the life of me I can't find them.

Does anybody have one or know exactly what they are called?
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    Sounds like those stupid triangle on a stick things you used to see on bicycles, normally ridden by a 75year old, wobbly pensioner.

The thing that makes a car overtake a parked car wider is called 'a driver' though.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Robisere
    Have not seen them attached to parked cars, but these are Warning Triangles, used to place behind broken down vehicles, or warn of a traffic hazard:
    http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/safety-signs/car-and-vehicle-breakdown-hazard-warning-reflective-triangle.php

Not a legal requirement in the UK, but RAC and AA advise drivers to carry them. I would imagine that the ones you saw are local adaptations to fit doors, but I have never seen that myself, so just speculating.

I live in a Close that turns in from a narrow road with lines of cars on both sides, so I know what you are talking about. Not so bad during the day when most are at work, but at night in an area with poor street lighting, I have to drive very carefully. After 12 midnight, all street lights in our rural village are switched off by the Highways department, courtesy of the County Council. Gives brilliant views of the stars, but not so good for walking and driving.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• ospre
    • By ospre 15th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ospre
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    As you can guess I found hundreds of photos of these, but the ones I've seen are attached to the door about half way up the vehicle and are about 9 inches long, red and white reflective on one side and blue and white on the other.

I'll try and take a photo next time I see one.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    Have not seen them attached to parked cars, but these are Warning Triangles, used to place behind broken down vehicles, or warn of a traffic hazard:
    http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/safety-signs/car-and-vehicle-breakdown-hazard-warning-reflective-triangle.php

Not a legal requirement in the UK, but RAC and AA advise drivers to carry them. I would imagine that the ones you saw are local adaptations to fit doors, but I have never seen that myself, so just speculating.

I live in a Close that turns in from a narrow road with lines of cars on both sides, so I know what you are talking about. Not so bad during the day when most are at work, but at night in an area with poor street lighting, I have to drive very carefully. After 12 midnight, all street lights in our rural village are switched off by the Highways department, courtesy of the County Council. Gives brilliant views of the stars, but not so good for walking and driving.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Don't cars have lights in Lincolnshire?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    How droll. Yes they do. But that does not alter the fact that driving between a line of parked cars on both sides of a narrow road, at night, means being careful to avoid contacting another vehicle. There are more cars parked at night on this particular road than in daytime, because people actually travel to and from work in the day, and come home in the evening. Which is what I said in my post, had you troubled to read it through.

I trust this further explanation is acceptable to your critical eye?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    How droll. Yes they do. But that does not alter the fact that driving between a line of parked cars on both sides of a narrow road, at night, means being careful to avoid contacting another vehicle. There are more cars parked at night on this particular road than in daytime, because people actually travel to and from work in the day, and come home in the evening. Which is what I said in my post, had you troubled to read it through.

I trust this further explanation is acceptable to your critical eye?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Sounds like you're too old to still be behind the wheel. Something like this maybe more suitable for you. http://www.ringandride.org/service.html
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 23,887 Posts
    • 50,556 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    There is a car that parks on the downhill side in Buckland Dinham that has one of these. I don't swerve round it.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    Something like this may be more suitable for you.
    We are losing the art of grammatically-correct insulting. Please try to keep up the standards. Oscar Wilde would turn in his grave.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    We are losing the art of grammatically-correct insulting. Please try to keep up the standards. Oscar Wilde would turn in his grave.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    I don't think we are.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 16th Jun 17, 6:30 AM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    Richard53
    Step-daughter had one of those cycle attachments while living in Cardiff. She reckoned drivers took it as a target and drove closer instead. She had it clipped by a car many times. I recommended that she glued a six-inch nail to it, but she was too nice.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 16th Jun 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Yes they do and most of the people in the county manage perfectly well without streetlights to.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • reeac
    • By reeac 16th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    reeac
    Yes they do and most of the people in the county manage perfectly well without streetlights to.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    "Without streetlights to." .... see by? (To continue the grammar/ correct spelling theme).
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Car 54
    As you can guess I found hundreds of photos of these, but the ones I've seen are attached to the door about half way up the vehicle and are about 9 inches long, red and white reflective on one side and blue and white on the other.

I'll try and take a photo next time I see one.
    Originally posted by ospre
    AFAIK it is illegal to show a white (or blue) reflector to the rear.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I don't think we are.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Yes, we is!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Going back to the original question...

Nothing can MAKE other drivers give more space. Anything that sticks out a bit can ENCOURAGE drivers, but no more than that. I've seen clip-on plastic reflective strips on bicycles, but can't find any on the usual online shopping sources. Maybe ask in your local bike shop?

The only surefire way, though, is simply to park somewhere else.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 16th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    seashore22
    These?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Wing-Mirror-Protector-Wingaware-as-Seen-on-TV-Accident-Prevention-Device/1854736376
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There y'go. I was thinking of cycling accessories - but that's even better.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 11,618 Posts
    • 6,515 Thanks
    Strider590
    I think a long sharp screwdriver gaffer taped to the wing mirror would have the same effect.......

Or you could just tuck in your wing mirror and turn your wheels toward the road, they don't care about wing mirrors, but they're not going to close pass a wheel, plus it looks as though someone is in the car about to move out and they won't risk getting into a fight.
    Last edited by Strider590; 16-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 16th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Gah! I know what OP is taking about. It's essentially a small triangle that I think has red/white stripes and stops people trying to drive too close and taking out wing mirrors etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,565Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin