Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freeman3030
    • By freeman3030 15th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 68Thanks
    freeman3030
    Npower - installing new smart meter
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    Npower - installing new smart meter 15th Jun 17 at 8:46 PM
    Hi,
    When I bought my house 18 months ago, EDF supplied the electricity (an EDF smart meter had already been installed) and British gas supplied the gas.
    Soon after moving in, the cheapest dual fuel tariff was with NPower sonic fixed with them for a year. When that deal expired I looked for the cheapest deal again and npower came up on top sonic fixed with them again.
    Today I had an email saying they were going to fit smart meters.
    My question is, is it likely that they will replace my electric meter as it's already a smart meter? (I can't use it's smart functionality because​ it's an EDF meter) I'd they can't I may as well refuse the smart gas meter and consider switching to EDF for both gas and electricity and get an EDF smart gas meter.
    I don't really understand how it all works, but if I've got to have a smart meter, I'd rather have them both work rather than one being 'dumb' and one being 'smart'.
    Sorry for the ramble, just not sure how it all works!
    Mortgage £150,000

- - -
    £1863.83 towards my £5,800 goal
Page 1
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 15th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 2,900 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    well if the Tories get their way you wont have to have one
  • nPower
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    Hi,
    When I bought my house 18 months ago, EDF supplied the electricity (an EDF smart meter had already been installed) and British gas supplied the gas.
    Soon after moving in, the cheapest dual fuel tariff was with NPower sonic fixed with them for a year. When that deal expired I looked for the cheapest deal again and npower came up on top sonic fixed with them again.
    Today I had an email saying they were going to fit smart meters.
    My question is, is it likely that they will replace my electric meter as it's already a smart meter? (I can't use it's smart functionality because​ it's an EDF meter) I'd they can't I may as well refuse the smart gas meter and consider switching to EDF for both gas and electricity and get an EDF smart gas meter.
    I don't really understand how it all works, but if I've got to have a smart meter, I'd rather have them both work rather than one being 'dumb' and one being 'smart'.
    Sorry for the ramble, just not sure how it all works!
    Originally posted by freeman3030

Hello freeman3030

Thank you for your post

I'm afraid at this time, Smart Meters aren't compatible across different suppliers. This means what was a Smart Meter with EDF would just be a regular meter with us. If we're offering to change your meters to Smart Meters, we would change them both as opposed to just one.

I hope this information is helpful, but if you have any further questions please email the address shown in our signature and we'll be happy to help further.

Thanks

Beth
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

459Posts Today

4,539Users online

Martin's Twitter