Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lamy
    • By Lamy 15th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Lamy
    Personal searches
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    Personal searches 15th Jun 17 at 8:43 PM
    Has anyone ever done these instead of the normal searches? And would you recommend then, not recommend them?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 40,124 Posts
    • 45,833 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    Yes I have.

I'd recommend them in the right circumstances, but not in the wrong circumstances.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 16th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    I'd recommend against having them done at the airport.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 16th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Depends if I'm buying or letting out-

When buying; I adopt the "why keep a dog and bask yesself" principle and I let the solicitor commission the local authority search, flood/drainage/water search, and, if I need one, the Environmental one (sometimes I've skipped the Environmental search if buying cash and if know the area as it seems to be lenders who like these).

And I rarely ask for a "Plansearch Plus" check as I don't care about Oftsted ratings and can work the Council website myself. And I'm so hacked off by the old Chancel Check scam that I now tell 'em not to bother as I am confident that "God Will Verily Protect me" even though I am a blasphemer.

But prior to any purchase offer I do my own informal searches;

- I visit the area at different times of the week or day to ensure its not like "Assault on Precinct 13" nor over-run by yummies,
    - if leasehold, I quiz the agent as far as they have the info on service-charges and maintenence and who the freeholder is so that...
    - I can google 'em or even ring em to determine if they are carp exploiters or in case they have had action taken against them by unhappy leaseholders or RTM-ers..

And when letting my 2 little BTLs I sometimes use an EA to reference -check prospects, but I have taken up bank or employer references myself with the punter's authority (thus saving me and them a bomb).

I also look 'em (the prospective tenants) in the eye, but stop short of a strip search!

What personal searches are you thinking of performing? And does it involve latex gloves?
    Last edited by AlexMac; 16-06-2017 at 2:25 PM. Reason: I only just thought of the last smart455 comment
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 40,124 Posts
    • 45,833 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    I'd recommend against having them done at the airport.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    See my earlier reply. Depends how you get your kicks!
    • Lamy
    • By Lamy 16th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Lamy
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    Thanks for the dubious humour...
    http://www.actlegal.co.uk/faq/buying-house-faqs/6/
    I've decided against it and am going to ask my solicitor to do the standard LA searches
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,004Posts Today

9,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin