Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waaa
    • By Waaa 15th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Waaa
    Barclays said no
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    Barclays said no 15th Jun 17 at 8:39 PM
    Newbie here, apologies if I do this wrong or break some etiquette rules!

After filling in a complaint form for a barclays overdraft (opened 1999), I have been contacted to say I never had ppi on it. The thing is, i opened this account on the exact same day as my twin sister, identical accounts, served at the same desk by the same person. My sister has just had a successful claim attached to her overdraft. It seems strange she would have been given ppi but not me. I called them and they said the circumstances were irrelevant, their computer says no ppi, so no ppi. It seems fishy to me! But of course, I have no existing paperwork. I have no idea how trustworthy the system is these days...is it worth pursuing through the ombudsman? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 15th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    If Barclays tell the Ombudsman you had no PPI what is it you expect the Ombudsman to do?

You could chance £10 on an SAR and see if that turns anything up.
    • Waaa
    • By Waaa 15th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Waaa
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    No idea! That's why I'm asking for help! I have read several news articles and anectdotal stories of banks 'mucking' people around and trying to dodge payouts, but admittedly most of these are several years old. Perhaps the system is better regulated now? I don't know. I just wondered if there is a general sense that the banks are fairly reliable in their investigations these days!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    I just wondered if there is a general sense that the banks are fairly reliable in their investigations these days!
    Originally posted by Waaa
    The millions of £s already paid out to others should be evidence enough that the Banks don't deliberately "dodge payouts".

Your problem is a complete lack of evidence. Neither you nor the Bank has any. Your sister's experience is irrelevant.
    • Waaa
    • By Waaa 15th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Waaa
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    OK. Thank you for your response. There is such a range of information and testimonials out there - so it is helpful to get some straightforward reactions to my situation. I will accept the bank's conclusion!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    Ask your sister exactly what she complained about and exactly what the letter said.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

2,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin