Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 15th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 584Posts
    • 305Thanks
    AlisonW
    Lidl pizza trays
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    Lidl pizza trays 15th Jun 17 at 8:35 PM
    Lidl are selling these at the moment. Has anyone tried them? I like the space saving idea (my oven only has two shelves ). However I wonder if they are too close together and you would end up with soggy pizzas because there's not enough room for the air to circulate. I have a gas oven, might be different in a fan oven.
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=3838

Thanks
Page 1
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,181 Thanks
    joedenise
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    I've got pizza trays similar to that but only 2 and they are slightly further apart. They work quite well.

If you decide to get them, try them as they are and if the pizza bases are a bit soggy then try using top and bottom ones only.

Denise
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 58,753 Posts
    • 341,309 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    They're solving a problem most people won't have. One ~10" pizza serves two, so for most people just buying another shelf, or even using a cooling rack on the botton, would suit their needs.

The rack would also only suit pizzas of a certain size.

So, if you're feeding 6-8 people with a pizza of one size, they might work .... for everybody else there'd be an easier/cheaper solution without taking up cupboard space with that rack.

One 14" pizza serves four people, so that'd only require one shelf too.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 16th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    They're solving a problem most people won't have. One ~10" pizza serves two, so for most people just buying another shelf, or even using a cooling rack on the botton, would suit their needs.

The rack would also only suit pizzas of a certain size.

So, if you're feeding 6-8 people with a pizza of one size, they might work .... for everybody else there'd be an easier/cheaper solution without taking up cupboard space with that rack.

One 14" pizza serves four people, so that'd only require one shelf too.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Nobody in our house has ever had half a pizza!

I have just bought one. I am disappointed that it doesn't quite fit in the microwave (panasonic slimline) but it should save a bit of space in the oven so I can shove something else in too.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 58,753 Posts
    • 341,309 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    Blimey - if you read the label it says on a 10" one "one portion is ½ a pizza" .... on exceptional times I have tried to get through a whole one, but it's really way too much.

Also, with a half, you can have other things on the plate. If you're force-feeding yourself a whole one there's no option for sides!

I usually just eat a half. My sibling and I bought a 14" pizza some months ago as that's about the same volume as two 10" ones but a lot cheaper. We both ate for two meals with that one 14" one.... and my sibling does love to "put it away" to use a polite phrase for "bit of a pig"
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    Blimey - if you read the label it says on a 10" one "one portion is ½ a pizza" .... on exceptional times I have tried to get through a whole one, but it's really way too much.

Also, with a half, you can have other things on the plate. If you're force-feeding yourself a whole one there's no option for sides!

I usually just eat a half. My sibling and I bought a 14" pizza some months ago as that's about the same volume as two 10" ones but a lot cheaper. We both ate for two meals with that one 14" one.... and my sibling does love to "put it away" to use a polite phrase for "bit of a pig"
    I admit that if you make them yourself, as i usually do, they are less filling than the shop ones which seem to have huge thick bases and not enough toppings, but one of my boys regularly eats a 14 inch shop bought one with chips and he is actually underweight.

I can get halfway round a 14 incher myself!
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 16th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:05 PM

I have just bought one. I am disappointed that it doesn't quite fit in the microwave (panasonic slimline) but it should save a bit of space in the oven so I can shove something else in too.
    Do you mean you've bought a pizza or one of the Lidl tray sets? I'm assuming you mean pizza as you couldn't put the trays in a microwave could you?
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 16th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    Anyway I've decided against it as my cupboard is already stacked out and I don't think it could cope with even a wafer thin tray.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 16th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    Do you mean you've bought a pizza or one of the Lidl tray sets? I'm assuming you mean pizza as you couldn't put the trays in a microwave could you?
    Originally posted by AlisonW
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I bought the set of trays. My microwave is also a convection oven and it would have been handy to cook them in that sometimes.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Jun 17, 6:10 AM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    They're solving a problem most people won't have.
    Well put. I can see why people might think they are handy for parties etc when pizza disappears as soon as it emerges from an oven, but £8 or so for 3 trays, really?

The single vented pizza trays from Poundland work perfectly well, no soggy bottoms
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 18th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I bought the set of trays. My microwave is also a convection oven and it would have been handy to cook them in that sometimes.
    Of course, I had forgotten about combination microwaves.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 18th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    Well put. I can see why people might think they are handy for parties etc when pizza disappears as soon as it emerges from an oven, but £8 or so for 3 trays, really?

The single vented pizza trays from Poundland work perfectly well, no soggy bottoms
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    There are four trays and costs just under eight pounds so I suppose £2 a tray isn't too bad. If you use four trays that is, and if they are decent quality. The more I think about it though, the more I wonder why I thought they would be worth my while buying.
    The ultimate money saving, don't buy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter