Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crimineaux
    • By crimineaux 15th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    crimineaux
    Harrassed by parking company though I did pay to park & proved it, please help
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    Harrassed by parking company though I did pay to park & proved it, please help 15th Jun 17 at 7:28 PM
    Hi all, long time lurker and rare poster here. I'm hoping someone can help as I'm getting some scary nasty letters from a parking company.

I paid via text to park in their car park, unfortunately I gave the reg number of my old car in a daft moment. I didn't realise until I got a letter from them. I replied explaining that I had paid, I had parked one vehicle in one space on the day and time I had paid for but had made an error entering my reg. I sent them evidence including text confirmation and phone records to prove they weren't at all out of pocket.

They have decided to come after me for a lot of money, and have gotten to the point of sending a solicitor's letter. This is horrible and unfair and scary.

I recently read Megan French's article on MSE about keeping old tickets to prove things in these situations - however I DID have the evidence, used it to prove my case and they're still harassing me. Please can someone help me, I've never broken the law in my life and this is a horrible situation. The parking was done via Starpark. Thank you to anyone who reads this.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 32,044 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    You still haven't broken any laws.

Give up on the mse "official" advice and spend time reading this up in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum.

All you need to know about the process is there.

Establish where you are in the process (appeal/debt collectors etc) and follow the advice
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 13,579 Posts
    • 21,289 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    Which parking company, otherwise you're expecting us to advise with blinkers on. There are different tactics to employ depending on which PPC, which ATA they belong to and how litigious (or not) they are.

They have decided to come after me for a lot of money, and have gotten to the point of sending a solicitor's letter. This is horrible and unfair and scary.
    How 'scary' are these letters? Kidnapping your children? Murdering a relative? Blowing up your house? Hit man coming for you?

How much is this 'lot of money'?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 48,044 Posts
    • 61,505 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    Welcome to the forum! We know how to beat such scammers.

Please read 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST'. It's not that scary ignoring a PPC! And beating them in court is something reported here every week. If the 'solicitor' is Gladstones or Wright Hassall, have a laugh and search the forum for them, and for the parking firm. Read the NEWBIES thread first.

PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    I once drove into an NCP car park, which recognised my car reg, because I had paid on line ; stayed for few minutes, then drove out. All nice and easy.

Except I hadn't paid on line, and whoever had, probably got billed.
    I sent NCP a cheque for £4, which they cashed, but they never explained what happened.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,151Posts Today

7,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin