Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t33
    • By t33 15th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    t33
    wooden worktop makeover
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    wooden worktop makeover 15th Jun 17 at 5:53 PM
    Hi
    Never done this before so thought I'd ask before starting.
    Have solid wood worktops in new house, quite neglected not oiled for yonks by the looks of it and water stained. Done an interwebs search and came up with following approach;

1. Remove patches of residue from previous oiling - white spirits or vinegar/fairy mixture?? Not sure what is best.
    2. Try to remove water staining from around sink - Liberon oxalic acid??
    3. Protecting surfaces with danish oil.

Is this a good plan?

Cheers.
Page 1
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 15th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Private Church
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    Not easy to advise without photo's but in general I would say your best bet to get a nice uniformed finish is to buy/hire a random orbital sander and re sand the worktops. You can fit the vacuum cleaner hose to take the dust away and start with 80 grit paper to get stains off then 100 grit papers, then 120 grit and finally 320 grit. If you can't take the sink out then sand around the sink by hand..............

Vacuum off the worktops and wipe down with a cloth.. Then finally give them 2 coats of OSMO Top oil which can be Satin finish or Matt... OSMO top oil is excellent stuff and very hardwearing. The problem with Danish oil is the more coats you apply the more shine you get and it does change the final colour somewhat whereas OSMO is clear.......

Do you know what species of timber the worktops are?.
    Last edited by Private Church; 15-06-2017 at 9:40 PM.
    "If we in Parliament cannot gain personally then there is very little point in us being here"

: Lord Manchester addressing Parliament around 1649.......
    • t33
    • By t33 16th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    t33
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    Sorry don't have an image at the moment and unsure about wood type.

If sanding is the only option I think I might have to shelve this project or get the professionals in (any idea how much this would cost on approx 20 ft of worktop? not sure how much I'm willing to pay for it as I'm after a decent result, not showroom style). I've had a bit of a disaster with a previous sanding project so not confident at taking on a big job like this with appliances/sink in situ as well to complicate things.

I shall look at the Osmo oil thanks.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 16th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Niv
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    Agree with private church that sanding is the best option. I would add though that when you wipe it down with a cloth I would use white spirit on the cloth. For my worktops I used worktop oil from toolstation cant say if it is better or worse than the oil recommended above but I ma happy with the finish.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    I’ve used a couple of different oils and I can second the recommendation for OSMO. It really is amazing. Not as easy to find in the main DIY stores but worth the extra effort IMO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin