Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wacemindu
    • By Wacemindu 15th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wacemindu
    Average household outgoings
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    Average household outgoings 15th Jun 17 at 5:45 PM
    Hi There,

I know there are threads on here asking similar questions, however the most recent of these I've found was from 2012 and so imagine it's a bit outdated.

My girlfriend and I are hoping to move out soonish and neither of us having lived on our own before I'm just trying to get a rough idea of outgoings, mortgage, water, G+E, council tax etc. So I can work out how much disposable income / savings income we're likely to have.

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing a rough break down of their household that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Page 1
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 15th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    B_G_B
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    Hi There,

I know there are threads on here asking similar questions, however the most recent of these I've found was from 2012 and so imagine it's a bit outdated.

My girlfriend and I are hoping to move out soonish and neither of us having lived on our own before I'm just trying to get a rough idea of outgoings, mortgage, water, G+E, council tax etc. So I can work out how much disposable income / savings income we're likely to have.

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing a rough break down of their household that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Wacemindu
    How long is a piece of string?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 15th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 29,210 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    How is knowing my council tax monthly payment amount going to help you?

I don't make a mortgage payment, but if I did, how would knowing how much it was help you?

How many people in your parents household now? What are their bills? Same question for your girlfriend's parents?

How many units of gas and electricity do both sets of parents consume now? How much of that is used as a direct result of you (and any siblings) living there?
    • Wacemindu
    • By Wacemindu 15th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wacemindu
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    I'm just after a rough ball park YorkshireBoy, there's no need to be facetious.
    • Mags_cat
    • By Mags_cat 15th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    Mags_cat
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    Do you have any idea what sort of property you'll be looking to move into? How many bedrooms? Older or newer construction? Terraced, semi- or detached? Apartment building? Water metered or not?

And then what are your expectations on living conditions? Do you want it heated to a constant 21 degrees or will you get by cooler? Do you bathe every night or use less water in showers? Run lots of appliances that use electricity?

These are the kinds of things you may need to be clearer on - then people in similar situations might chip in with their own rough monthly budgets.

Good luck with the move!
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 15th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,717 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    I can sing a song of sixpence if it helps
    • datlex
    • By datlex 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    datlex
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    Hi There,

Thanks

Originally posted by Wacemindu
    Council tax varies depending on which council you are with. Here a one bedroom flat is band A in some places it is band B. However a quick search on line shows worst case is £175 a month. Most are about £100 a month. But if you check your local council website you will get an accurate figure.

For me I have a water meter. I currently pay £14 a month for that. Unmetered it was £40.

Gas depends on how warm you have your property, how you cook, etc. I pay £29 a month for that.

Electricity again depends on what devices you have I pay £30 for that.

Personally I would budget 350 for bills excluding rent/mortgage. Don't forget you also need to budget for food, household cleaning items say another £300. Also you might want to save up for holidays, general savings, Christmas and birthdays another £300. Coming to a total of £900 (round up to £1000) between you before you look at rent or mortgage! What mortgage could you get on your take home -£500 each?
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 15th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    How about I say I live in a five bedroom, 3 bathroom, detached house on an acre of land, brand new BMW and a VW sitting in the drive, and my out goings are just £700 a month?

You see no one else can advise you by telling you what their out goings are

What would be better is to look at the area you wish to live and look at the council and water rates for that area. Then look at a mortgage calculator see how that much will cost. Look at insurance comparison sites and see what that's costing, add road tax, doma supermarket shop on my supermarket to see what that comes in at. Add phones and tv packages

No one person on here has the answer for you. We all manage our money differently and we all have different priorities
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 15th Jun 17, 10:26 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:26 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:26 PM
    Ok rather than the unhelpful responses, I will give you a vague idea so it's a little more helpful than everyone else.

But we have no idea where you live so the mortgage payments could be much less or more. But they are right your water/gas/electric rates will vary dependant on area and your own usage. Your council tax banding effects the CT payments as well.

Mortgage - £600 (could be lot less or more, depends on house price, your deposit and interest rate)
    Council Tax - £130
    Gas/Electric - £80
    Water - £40
    TV License - £12
    Internet/TV - £40
    Home Insurance - £15

Then you have your everyday bills food, petrol, car finance/insurance/tax, mobile phone, subscriptions, gambling/lottery, any loans/credit cards other debts etc you may have etc...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Jun 17, 11:10 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I think the important point is that, up to a point, your outgoings are within your control.

You can make sure you rent a place that isn't too expensive. You can be economical with your food shopping (Aldi/Lidl is your friend), you can wear a jumper instead of turning the heating up, you don't have to have the latest tech, you can limit the amount you spend on clothes and going out, you can drive a car that is economical.

So to answer your question - it's impossible to say how much your outgoings will be, but they are within your control. The most important thing is that you and your girlfriend have the same priorities when it comes to your attitudes to money. Talk to each other. As to disposable income - forget that particular luxury for a while!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 54,402 Posts
    • 47,235 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Keep records of where you spend your money currently. Maybe rather enlightening.

By learning to save hard. You'll learn to manage your money better. When it comes to home ownership you'll simply adjust.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jun 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    soulsaver
    House is occupied mostly 24/7; 2 Cars
    Monthly outgoings (regular):

Mortgage - None (rental estimate £1000)
    Council Tax - £167
    Gas/Electric - £120
    Water - £13
    TV License - £12
    Internet (Fibre optic)& Phone (anytime call pack) - £30
    Car maintenance (2 off) c. £80
    Car Breakdown (family) - £7
    Shopping & take aways c.£450
    Insurance Building & Contents £15
    Fuel (Diesel) £250
    Vets £25
    Music lessons £40
    Gym £20
    Mobile phone service - £12
    Holidays c£166
    Home Insurance - £15
    House maintenance (mostly DIY except boiler maintenance) - c. £25
    Car Road tax - £40
    Car insurance - c.£40
    Last edited by soulsaver; 16-06-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 7,886 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    teddysmum
    As has been said, it is impossible to advise,even with a broad estimate.

The money that buys or rents a one roomed flat in some areas, would but a semi or even detached house with gardens and garage.

Electricity and gas depend on your lifestyle and the provider/tariff you choose.

Council tax varies a lot (our son's is very different from ours, yet we both live in semis, not far apart, but under different councils) and water charges, even within the same company's area differ according to boundary).

We have a Sky package which is very cheap, because of an offer,so pay far less than many, we can't get fibre broad band and arely use a mobile phone (so PAYG is fine).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin