Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ssmi
    • By ssmi 15th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ssmi
    Transfer from Final Salary Scheme - Am I being naive?
    • #1
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    Transfer from Final Salary Scheme - Am I being naive? 15th Jun 17 at 5:44 PM
    I'm really asking for feedback on my thought process - I am no financial whiz and I want to know if I am missing something. I am 57 my husband is 62. Between us we have a few pension pots worth about 250K. I will get a reduced state pension due to lack of contributions but see no point it topping up as I believe I will lose any extra income in tax. He will get full state pension and still works part time. We are mortgage free and have a couple of properties we rent out, also mortgage free. The question really is over a final salary scheme I have. I was quoted a couple of years ago 22K pa to take at 65. I have now asked for a transfer value and been offered 397K. In my simplistic view this would mean I would have to live to 83 roughly to break even. I was thinking of taking the money now, taking 25% of it tax free to add to some other money we have, buying another property and then doing something with the remaining 75%. Is it really as simple as that or am I missing something? I know I will need to seek formal advice but wanted some informal view before I start the process. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Page 2
    • ssmi
    • By ssmi 16th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ssmi
    And bostonerimus those are really interesting figures, thank you.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Thank you Silvertabby, it is a private scheme but it would have had members transferred into it from government schemes if that would make a difference?
    Not as such, but is your scheme part of the 'transfer club'? Most - but not all - members are public sector but there are some strange anomolies.

    x20 is very low for a private scheme which uses the link with gilts. I would query it with them.
    • ssmi
    • By ssmi 16th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ssmi
    Thank you Silvertabby. It's a private company scheme so I will ask them to check the figures - they took a long time to respond so not sure how many people have approached them before now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

691Posts Today

5,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

  • Follow Martin