Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 15th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 8,598Posts
    • 15,342Thanks
    calleyw
    Plants not thriving on one side of the front door
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    Plants not thriving on one side of the front door 15th Jun 17 at 4:54 PM
    The title just about sums it up.

I wanted to have identical pots on either side of the front door.

Firstly I bought Salix flamingo trees to put either side. One did the well the other almost died. Again put two pots of the same plants out side the front door and again one is failing same side as the previous failing tree and other is flourishing.

What am I missing don't get it.

What should I be looking for. Both lots are treated the same. Water at the same time.

Thanks in advance for anyone with any idea of what I am missing. Or need to do.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Page 1
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 15th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    A neighbour peeing in the pot?
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 15th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 10,852 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    One is getting more wind. Would show by browning the plant.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 15th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 9,501 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    Swap the pots every two weeks?
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 15th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    Anything overhanging on one side?
    Local dog, cat or fox marking their patch?
    Difference in the amount of shade/sunlight?
    One getting a direct blast of exhaust fumes every time the car is started?
    Kids battering one of them on their way in or out
    Dripping eaves or guttering over one of them?

Like Ihavespoken says - try swapping them about regularly.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    I agree about overhanging. The property behind ours some a kind of creeper growing over the breezeblock wall and down our side of the wall. In that corner, the lawn, all laid at the same time barely grows (very sparse blades). The corner is in some shade due to next door's fence too, but not enough to retard growth.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 12,520 Posts
    • 34,195 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    I agree about overhanging. The property behind ours some a kind of creeper growing over the breezeblock wall and down our side of the wall. In that corner, the lawn, all laid at the same time barely grows (very sparse blades). The corner is in some shade due to next door's fence too, but not enough to retard growth.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Could you solve your problem by trimming their creeper back to the wall? With it being a breezeblock wall (ie rather than a "normal" wall - of brick or stone) it's an eyesore - so you might want to put up with the creeper (to hide that eyesore) rather than doing anything to it.

But there must be other solutions to hide the eyesore - perhaps an attractive trellis with very small squares in it and grow your own plant up that instead?

Alternatively - you could leave their creeper hiding their eyesore and put huge attractive pots with large decorative plants on that bit of lawn that isn't growing very well currently. Maybe surround said pots with something attractive put on the lawn around them (eg large pebbles) and that could look good and like you'd "meant it".
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    Swap the pots every two weeks?
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    I can do that now as the pots are only tiny now.

Nope they don't go brown from wind damage just seem to stop thriving. And start dying off.

There is an overhang from the porch but there is guttering there.

Car is not normally on the front lawn. No children.

Just perplexed by the whole thing. As only put the pots out for the first time last year.

I will try to remember to swap them over. And see what happens.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    Could you solve your problem by trimming their creeper back to the wall? With it being a breezeblock wall (ie rather than a "normal" wall - of brick or stone) it's an eyesore - so you might want to put up with the creeper (to hide that eyesore) rather than doing anything to it.

But there must be other solutions to hide the eyesore - perhaps an attractive trellis with very small squares in it and grow your own plant up that instead?

Alternatively - you could leave their creeper hiding their eyesore and put huge attractive pots with large decorative plants on that bit of lawn that isn't growing very well currently. Maybe surround said pots with something attractive put on the lawn around them (eg large pebbles) and that could look good and like you'd "meant it".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

The problem with trellis would be having something to support it, that is not likely to be brought down by wind.

I do have some square paving slabs (taken up when the front was block paved) which are due to be put in both corners farthest from house , but it's a matter of waiting for my husband to do the job.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    sheramber
    Salix needs some son and plenty water.

As your lawn is not thriving in the same area it would suggest that the environmental conditions are affecting growth. My guess would be too much shade / not enough light as the lawn is struggling.
    • Mrs Huggett
    • By Mrs Huggett 21st Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    Mrs Huggett
    I have the same problem it's probably down to the micro climate (sun and wind/rain etc) as I have had all sorts.. shrubs.. bedding etc over the years and one always fares better..always have exactly the same plants too!! Problem with mine is they are far too big and heavy to move lol
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 21st Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 22,346 Posts
    • 85,432 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Why not use some small bits of wood/a crate, put them together flat/with battens both sides, paint them, attach locking casters to one side and then wheel the things around in their pots as an when you please?

Kind of like putting trees on rollerskates.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,366Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's existential Twitter poll: Choose betwn huge success & renown within ur lifetime then forgotten, or only after death but for millenia

• RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Follow Martin