Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EmRey
    • By EmRey 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EmRey
    Two Jobs
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    Two Jobs 15th Jun 17 at 4:51 PM
    I am currently at university and have a nil hours contract job that I work over the holidays when I am home. Because I don't earn enough I don't pay tax. However, I have just got a new job as well as my nil hours one which is just a 4 hours a week contract so I will still be under the tax allowance. Will I still pay no tax or will I have to pay because I had two jobs? Even though with both it will be well under £1100?

Thank you!
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 17,323 Posts
    • 11,516 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    You need to get HMRC to split your tax codes between the 2 jobs as, unless HMRC tell them different, the 2nd job will tax you at 20% on all your earnings and you will have to claim it back. What will the total earnings from each job be for the whole tax year ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 5,335 Posts
    • 4,688 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    you get one personal allowance of £11,500 per year. That converts to tax code 1150

where you have 2 jobs you can ask HMRC to split that code between each job so that your earnings in each job remain below the individual tax codes.

obviously with a zero hours contract you do not have a steady pay level so your best option is to estimate how much you will earn in each tob, add the 2 figures together, check the total is less than 11,500 and then ask HMRC to allocate your split code to each employer in accordance with your guess. eg: £2,000 in job 1 and £8,000 in job 2 would become tax codes 300 and 850 (total 1150) that way both codes are bigger than your expected earnings in each job so you will not pay tax in either job.

employers can't split codes, only you can by asking HMRC
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 15th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    I am currently at university and have a nil hours contract job that I work over the holidays when I am home. Because I don't earn enough I don't pay tax. However, I have just got a new job as well as my nil hours one which is just a 4 hours a week contract so I will still be under the tax allowance. Will I still pay no tax or will I have to pay because I had two jobs? Even though with both it will be well under £1100[0]?
    Originally posted by EmRey
    Are either of these jobs self-employment?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    If I were you I'd wait until I got my first payslip from the new job, check my personal tax account to check HMRC have the new job payslip details then phone HMRC and ask them to split your tax allowance of £11500 between the two jobs in whichever way works best for you.

Make sure HMRC issue your new tax codes on a "cumulative" basis and then you'll get any excess tax deducted by your new employer back the first time they pay you after they get the new tax code.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

751Posts Today

6,667Users online

Martin's Twitter