Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davo-75
    switching without meter reading
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    switching without meter reading 15th Jun 17 at 3:22 PM
    New user so if I say something stupid or in the wrong pleace, please forgive me.

Been on npower electricity, standard tariff, paying bills on arrival for years. Their latest gives me an estimate of almost 800 quid per year. I want to leave them, and their customer service is a pain to get through to. So as im on estimates and have been for years, I have a feeling my meter is higher than they think...I mentioned it once to one of their people, and my number was higher than they thought.

Can I switch but not give them or the new provider a real reading, is that possible? I can't afford to pay off years worth of back bills. I've looked on comparison sites and electricity alone can be reduced by 50% almost on some of them....but I might get stung by npower for leaving.....or end up with a new company demanding a reading. Help! (please).
Page 2
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 16th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Davo - reading the replies above, most of them are there to help you, even if they may not sound like it. If your bills have been estimated for years, you could be owed lots, or you could owe lots. A new supplier will insist on a meter reading, otherwise how would they know how much to bill you if they don't know what the start reading is? Even if you stay with the same supplier on a new tariff, you'll be better off telling them the reading so that the cheaper rate kicks in to suit you.
    Your bets bet is to read your meter now - if it's higher than the estimate, you'll owe them money but you should be able to work out how much. Depends on your meter but basically multiply the difference in the meter readings by the unit price (which is on the bill). If the actual reading is lower, then they'll owe you - so you're quids in. If you've been on standard tariff for years, then you've been over paying for years as well.
    It's really worth managing it yourself in future - regular meter readings to your supplier, switch to best deal as often as you can etc. etc. It makes a huge difference compared to paying standard tariffs which are usually £300 a year more. Don't put off reading that meter though.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,051 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The £800 estimate is assuming you stay on the variable tariff which is much more expensive than a using a fix.

I needed to phone them twice a few weeks ago and had no problems getting through on either occasion. (Tuesday and Friday daytime)
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    Robin9
    The £800 estimate probably isn't worth the paper its written on - it will be based of many previously estimated bills.

We wait for OP to come back to us
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 18th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    House Martin
    So what you are saying is that you don't want to pay for the electricity you have used, it may not be fraud but it would be theft.

Why have you not given readings for years then you would not have been in this position.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Good point, but Npower should also be complying with OFGEMS rules on taking a physical reading and safety check at least once every 2 years. If the OP has been refusing access to Npowers meter readers it may well make them suspicious.
    Having said that, I switched about 8 months ago from BG to Robin Hood Energy/Daligas, provided my own start reading to my new suppliers and everything went ok.So far in 8 months they have not come to check my meters to see if I had been supplying false readings and I have outside boxes for easy access. None of my readings are supplier readings. Some of the smaller suppliers like these two do not want to waste money employing meter readers to verify meter readings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin