Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davo-75
    switching without meter reading
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    switching without meter reading 15th Jun 17 at 3:22 PM
    New user so if I say something stupid or in the wrong pleace, please forgive me.

Been on npower electricity, standard tariff, paying bills on arrival for years. Their latest gives me an estimate of almost 800 quid per year. I want to leave them, and their customer service is a pain to get through to. So as im on estimates and have been for years, I have a feeling my meter is higher than they think...I mentioned it once to one of their people, and my number was higher than they thought.

Can I switch but not give them or the new provider a real reading, is that possible? I can't afford to pay off years worth of back bills. I've looked on comparison sites and electricity alone can be reduced by 50% almost on some of them....but I might get stung by npower for leaving.....or end up with a new company demanding a reading. Help! (please).
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 10,838 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    New user so if I say something stupid or in the wrong pleace, please forgive me.

Been on npower electricity, standard tariff, paying bills on arrival for years. Their latest gives me an estimate of almost 800 quid per year. I want to leave them, and their customer service is a pain to get through to. So as im on estimates and have been for years, I have a feeling my meter is higher than they think...I mentioned it once to one of their people, and my number was higher than they thought.

Can I switch but not give them or the new provider a real reading, is that possible? I can't afford to pay off years worth of back bills. I've looked on comparison sites and electricity alone can be reduced by 50% almost on some of them....but I might get stung by npower for leaving.....or end up with a new company demanding a reading. Help! (please).
    Originally posted by davo-75
    Why don't you read the meter and check ?
    Why don't you submit regular meter reads on line ?
    If you are in debt and can't afford to pay it off at once why dont't you switch to a less expensive tariff with your current supplier ?
    If you give an incorrect meter read at switch it may be rejected by the third party that check the reading you give against your use on the database.
    Besides that giving a false reading to obtain an advantage is fraud - I am sure you would not like a CIFAS marker.
    Last edited by molerat; 15-06-2017 at 3:41 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davo-75
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    I think you're not understanding me, maybe I didnt say it right. Im not looking to defraud anyone.

I've been on estimates for years, I dont want to give a reading because ive a feeling I've used more than the estimates, and I'll get a large back bill. I've not submitted any fraudulent readings. So when you switch does it require a reading? The comparison sites ive read are giving me quotes based on estimating my usage.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 15th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    cajef
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    So what you are saying is that you don't want to pay for the electricity you have used, it may not be fraud but it would be theft.

Why have you not given readings for years then you would not have been in this position.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davo-75
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    Again, no im not saying that, im saying I am worried that my meter will be high and I'll owe them more than I can pay, so does switching require a reading?

if so then I can switch, get on a better tariff, and give a reading later when im more financially secure.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 10,838 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    When you switch you have to give the new supplier a reading. That reading is then submitted to a third party who verify it by checking the data held against that property, they may reject it if they do not agree it is accurate. Submitting anything other than the correct reading to avoid paying your current supplier for what you have used whilst with them, even though you will pay the new supplier for that use, is fraud.

When looking for the cheapest supplier you input what you estimate to be your accurate annual usage in kWh, picking a number which suits you is of no help to anyone especially you, it has nothing to do with the estimated bills your supplier sends you. By not regularly submitting accurate reads you have brought a whole load of problems on yourself, don't make it any worse.

Sort this out by giving your current supplier an accurate reading and if they come up with a bill you cannot afford then switch to their cheapest tariff and come to an arrangement to pay it off.
    Last edited by molerat; 15-06-2017 at 4:16 PM.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 15th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 6,369 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    A new supplier will need your start meter readings, what are you going to do, make them up? Nobody will take you on as a customer on those terms. Sounds like you are trying to run away from paying what you think you might owe. Get your meters read and submit the figures to your present supplier, or tell them to come and take the readings themselves.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davo-75
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    well I appreciate the replies, if not the assumptions of bad behaviour. no one is submitting false readings, no one is a criminal here. im not running away from any money owed, I know I will pay them but at the moment. I cant afford a full huge back pay bill as im not working.

hence to minimise my outgoings, id like a better tariff, and provide a reading later. if all switching requires a reading, then I have my answer, thank you. and no I wasnt going to make them up, what a strange set of replies. I presume you get a lot of fraudsters passing through.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    If you want to change tariff or change your direct ebits, even with your existing energy company then you'll have to give them a correct reading.

One day, someone will come round and to read your meter and you'll get a ginormous bill if you've been underpaying, either by design or by default.

IMO you'd be well advised to read your meter and chack it against the latest bill to see how much you might owe and then getonto your supplier to get the bill corrected. Ask them to put you onto their best tariff and arrange to pay the arrears back as soon as you can via monthly direct debit.
    Most suppliers will allow you to pay back arrears over 12 months, sometimes even longer but you do need to get it sorted out, just hoping that it will go away is the worst possible thing that you can do.

You will not be allowed to change suppliers without giving a reading and if you owe your existing suppliers, they will block any transfer to another supplier unless you pay back the arrears. So the sooner you get it sorted out the better chance you'll have to pay it back.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 10,838 Thanks
    molerat
    Can I switch but not give them or the new provider a real reading, is that possible?
    no one is submitting false readings, no one is a criminal here.
    You have been told what you need to do, delaying it will hurt no one but you.

NPower are not the most competitive but for me their July 2018 fix is not that much dearer than the cheapest available - NP 18% dearer, cheapest 11% and NP SV being 42% more than I currently pay.
    Last edited by molerat; 15-06-2017 at 5:32 PM.
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davo-75
    champion, I have the information, cheers. might just ask to go on the july 2018 thingy
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 15th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    What would happen if a switch completed before a meter reading was given? Or would the switch stall?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    matelodave
    The switch would not be completed - for a switch to happen both the gaining supplier and the releasing supplier have to agree. That's why some switches take longer than others
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 15th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @davo-75
    As you are having money worries, you may want to go and see your local Citizens Advice Bureau about debt management.
    They will be able to help you prioritise your debts and be able to point you to scheme ran by the utility companies which offer help to those in financially difficult circumstances.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    victor2
    well I appreciate the replies, if not the assumptions of bad behaviour. no one is submitting false readings, no one is a criminal here. im not running away from any money owed, I know I will pay them but at the moment. I cant afford a full huge back pay bill as im not working.

hence to minimise my outgoings, id like a better tariff, and provide a reading later. if all switching requires a reading, then I have my answer, thank you. and no I wasnt going to make them up, what a strange set of replies. I presume you get a lot of fraudsters passing through.
    What you are asking though is if you can switch to a cheaper tariff and effectively pay less for the utilities you have already used, on a tariff you had already agreed to.
    You know the estimates are low, and are prepared to let them to continue at that lower level until it suits you to give an actual reading and pay back the debt, based on a lower tariff.
    That is where the suggestions of fraud are coming through, dishonest is perhaps a lighter term for it...
    • davo-75
    • By davo-75 15th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davo-75
    im getting quite terrified now how people are failing to grasp this.

the estimates are HIGH now, but they used to be low, hence wanting to change tariff. anyway, thanks for the help to the useful ones.
    Last edited by davo-75; 15-06-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 15th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    SwanJon
    As above, take a reading - you don't need to tell anyone, but you can use to either put your mind at rest (the estimates on on track, or you are due a refund) or prepare for the time you need to give an accurate reading (e.g. increase DD a little, start putting money aside).

If money is an issue, have a look at the npower energy fund - http://www.charisgrants.com/application-forms/
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 16th Jun 17, 5:07 AM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

the estimates are HIGH now
    maybe not high enough if you think you might owe even more.

If you should manage to switch without giving a proper reading, what do you think will happen when a new tenant moves into your old property and provides a proper reading?
    Y'all take care now.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th Jun 17, 5:41 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    Robin9
    Davo-75

Can you read your meter today please and post it on this forum together with the estimated reading on your last bill. Then you will know if there is money owing - it may be that your supplier owes you.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 16th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    victor2
    im getting quite terrified now how people are failing to grasp this.

the estimates are HIGH now, but they used to be low, hence wanting to change tariff. anyway, thanks for the help to the useful ones.
    Are you sure you have grasped the situation clearly?
    There are estimates of your future annual cost and estimates of your meter readings. They are not the same thing.
    Estimates of your future annual cost are based on your historic usage, and assume that in future you will use a similar amount of energy as you have in the past. This relies on meter readings having been reasonably accurate.
    Estimates of meter readings are made when the supplier is unable to get actual readings. They are based on historic readings. If there are no accurate previous readings, then estimates can, and often do, differ dramatically from the actual ones.

Estimated meter readings can result in meaningless estimates of your future cost.

As has already been suggested, it would be in your interest to take actual readings now, and compare them to the latest estimates used on your most recent statement.
    It is not clear from what you have said on here if the readings used by your supplier for billing purposes are higher or lower than the actual meter readings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,512Posts Today

9,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin